Considering VR for the Hornet but afraid of motion sickness.

Turnip

as long as the PC is driving the sim fast enough, should be fine. i got nauseus from the Oculus DK2, but recent applications and current gen devices are fine. You get used to it over time too. Threw around f18 for 40mins last night in Oculus and felt fine (hadnt done any flight simming in past few years)

maybe find a local person / shop / internet cafe to try it first?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was afraid of the same thing and I've had my rift for almost a year now. The key is to take breaks. As soon as you start to feel weird, STOP. No matter how bad you want to continue. Over time you'll notice you're able to fly in longer sessions. Remember, as soon as you feel weird, to stop.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Here is my experience. I get carsick really easy and could never do any rollercoasters. When I got my Rift about 6 months ago, I felt a bit sick when using them the first couple of days. Fearing I spent all those money on something I couldn’t use, I started reading a bit about the issue. For most people it will just be a matter of the brain getting used to it. It only took like 5-6 days for me to get used to. Before, whenever I was banking or anything like that in the plane I had to close my eyes :) But after a week, I never had any problems again. I didn’t use my Rift for about 3 months but after the F/A-18 came out I just had to use them again, and still no problems what so ever.

That being said, there is of course no guarantee that you will not get sick.

Edit: and like Pimp wrote, take breaks when you feel something going on. I did the same

Edited by GVO

What pimp said too... my first week or two, I had gradually increased my flight times.

Now, no issue. But we each have our own acclimation rates.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I’ve already flown multi hour hops in the Hornet....but like others have said, start slow. Any aircraft could make you sick, especially helicopters.

Do 10-15 minute flights, shallow turns, take off and landing. Don’t force it, or try to make big jumps in time or maneuvers. Build up the time, you inner ear will get used to the disconnect from your brain. Before you know it you’ll be pulling hard G’s in any aircraft.

Before you know it, you’ll wonder how you ever played a flight sim with a monitor.

While I do not get seasick on my boat, Ive heard horror stories about the Oculus etc. Your thoughts? Is it an issue?

I've never felt anything other then awesomeness when flying with Oculus ;) It's amazing when doing free flight or just fooling around, but I'm sticking to TrackIR when doing actual combat. The hud is fine in VR but the radar and other small numbers are difficult to read.

Chances are that you will experience motion sickness when you first try VR, but you should overcome it in a few days.

I started with Assetto Corsa and experienced motion sickness for the first 3-4 days, after that none. So we do adapt quickly.

From another perspective, the first time I demo'd the rift to my wife, she spent less than 5 mins driving around in Assets Corsa and felt so sick that she had to lie down for the next hour.

Fast forward a month or three and I was impressed with the IL-2 BoS experience so I had to show it to her. She flew around for 15mins without any motion sickness - this after not having touched the rift since the previous experience, and only her second experience with the rift.

The problem with the try before you buy is that chances are high that you would get motion sickness, and this could put you off it before you get the chance to adjust. Assuming you are happy with what VR has to offer, I'd say go from it rather, as the odds of you not adapting is slim.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I am immune to motion sickness from boats.

and im immune from motion sickness from VR

probably because i get vertigo.

a life time of dealing with the disorientation caused by heights makes me immune to the disorientation caused by movement.

and I think a lot of people experience vertigo for the first time in VR.

so its a case of welcome to my world :)

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

My experience about the same, after a few days it settled down and pretty much all went away.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

While I do not get seasick on my boat, Ive heard horror stories about the Oculus etc. Your thoughts? Is it an issue?

If you keep looking at where you point the aircraft´s nose, you will survive.

VR zoom may be employed carefully in the beginning too.

Other than that, it´s bloody amazing.

Dirt Rally got me sick in less than a minute (lots of drifting and sliding a small underpowered car).

Assetto Corsa or DCS, I can play all day long however. Two weeks time Oculus user here, I´m still a n00b :smilewink:

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Thank you all for the great insight. QUADG, I too have BAD vertigo due to a brain injury. Maybe this will actually help me because I am constantly dizzy now anyway. LOL I see there are used Oculus Rift units out there being sold due to motion sickness. So I guess I need to decide on Oculus or a new TrackIR

I am immune to motion sickness from boats.

and im immune from motion sickness from VR

probably because i get vertigo.

a life time of dealing with the disorientation caused by heights makes me immune to the disorientation caused by movement.

and I think a lot of people experience vertigo for the first time in VR.

so its a case of welcome to my world :)

I'd hold off to see what the next gen of sets does. Things like the Pimax are close, the final run evaluation sets where sent out a few days ago, Rift has a new version coming and etc etc.

On the original post, I was the same as most. It was a couple weeks of getting used to it and now there's never an issue.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I would say the earliest we will see a true second generation device will be sometime in the second half of 2019.

I will be doing a ton of VR gaming with my Rift between now and then.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I’ve never felt sick in dcs with my rift. Get that feeling like u get when u jump off a bridge into water when I’m looking around upside down sometimes but nothing like a sickness. The only time I have ever experienced feeling sick from VR was in project cars 2 and only in the go-karts. Something about turning really fast and being low to the ground that my head and stomach don’t like. It was weird at first I started feeling hot and bothered and I wasn’t sure what the problem was until I took it off and pretty much was off it the rest of the day. I can drive the normal cars in that game without a problem. The only thing that I get from DCS is just wearing the HMD after about 30 mins it is a relief to take it off. Most time I just work thru it because like someone else said before, u need to take a break every now and again until u are use to having something covering face and head. I guess it depend on you and ur own personal preference. not a problem for me and adds way more to the game then it takes away from being uncomfortable. Good luck with ur decision, see if you can try out a set from someone first before dropping the cash.

Don't get motion sickness but, standing outside of bird on carrier deck I thing if waves were any wore I would get sea sick they rolling effect is great

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

Don't get motion sickness but, standing outside of bird on carrier deck I thing if waves were any wore I would get sea sick they rolling effect is great

Lol no kidding.

Don B

I've only gotten an occasional woozy feeling if I'm craning my neck to see around the windscreen frame and HUD on the A-10C. Other than that, no problems here. Heh, I go out and purposely stall aircraft while calibrating aftermarket AOA sensors on a fairly regular basis though, so knowing to look at a fixed point in space and avoid side-to-side craning of my neck while going into the stall to avoid getting sick is just something I've gotten accustomed to. The Rift has excellent head tracking, so where you look in the sim is where your brain thinks things should be, so spatial disorientation is pretty minimal. Definitely keep your head still while you have the loading screen up though. That doesn't move with head tracking, and it can definitely mess with you.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: