An unsubstantiated complaint

gavagai

Hi everyone,

I don't get to fly DCS much these days. When I fire up the P-51 in instant action I get engine failures left and right doing the same things I used to do with no problems.

Is it me? Did something change? After all this time I was hoping that the Merlin would have its due.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I haven't noticed any changes done recently, other than the retex and remodels.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Since some weeks I have much trouble with P51d's engine temps…

Liquid coolant and Oil radiators on auto I struggle to keep engine not overheating even with low throttle and low rpm (both in green zone) and engine breaks.

Radiators manually full opened the temps are too low and engine breaks.

The only time I don't have too much problems is when external temps are high (in desert…) and my radiators manually full opened, all temps not too low below green zone, or in green zone, there I'm able to finish missions using engine as I need, WEP if needed...

Aside from using suggested RPM and throttle settings, I've found that I must check temperatures very frequently, especially while in transitional states (climbing, diving, turning). As soon as temps start moving towards limits I open radiators all the way manually. When I'm cruising level, I set radiators to automatic. I've mapped radiator controls to my throttle HOTAS because these radiator adjustments need to be made so frequently.

For sure, if you are anticipating an engagement in the near future, start cranking open the rads manually ASAP. You will overheat quickly dogfighting with radiators on automatic.

Aside from using suggested RPM and throttle settings, I've found that I must check temperatures very frequently, especially while in transitional states (climbing, diving, turning). As soon as temps start moving towards limits I open radiators all the way manually. When I'm cruising level, I set radiators to automatic. I've mapped radiator controls to my throttle HOTAS because these radiator adjustments need to be made so frequently.

For sure, if you are anticipating an engagement in the near future, start cranking open the rads manually ASAP. You will overheat quickly dogfighting with radiators on automatic.

Yep that seems to be the way to go. But I think it's something fairly recent ? Before that "auto cooling" was ok when airborne ?

I noticed the same issue and this is very disappointing. I've taken over a year off due to things being broken with this game only to find the same things still broken and now it appears that there is more broken on top of that.

The price hike was a shocker too... Maybe I made the right call bailing out when I did.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: P-51 radiators - I did a few tests. These were done flying straight and level, no manoeuvring, so bear that in mind.

I've found the coolant radiator works generally OK automatically, but it has a tendency to run hot. Going flat out the 'auto' setting will keep the needle in the void between the green zone and red line. This is great for low-drag shenanigans but I don't know if any damage is occurring running like this.

The oil cooler's automatic mode seems broken or at least out of calibration. I tested by fully closing the oil till the temperature hit the red line then switched to auto - no change. But a five second manual push of 'open' brought the temps quickly back into the green. Running the engine cool (40°), with oil fully open, and then engaging auto the temperature will start rising so it is doing something.

Edited by Lixma 06

you guys are warming up your engines right?

it says in one small line in the manual that if you don't get your oil/rad temps to a certain value (dunno what number exactly.. i just look at the needles) any sort of throttle action past 20%~ it will kill your engine.

it says this once and then never mentions it again. never have i heard this advice while complaining about engines dying.

since i've started doing the warmup procedure though my engine outs while in flight have stopped entirely. the problem is that the oil pressure spike kills your engine on a timer, so you may think that it is just due to overheat but in reality your engine died 20 minutes ago while sitting on the ramp and the timer's only hitting you now.

tbh what would be really nice would be a report when your engine seizes that tell you why (oil temp exceeded safe limits at server time 0730) or whatever as otherwise it's a huge guess as to why it's broken and you have to parachute home.

IIRC the manual says to warm the engine until 40° oil temperature, before starting to taxi.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1