Problem with climbing up

Hello guys,

I've been trying to find what I do wrong but couldn't, so... here I am :book:

Usually after 10-20 minutes of flying, as I try to climb up, I get a sudden RPM drop that leads to a crash... I looked at all parameters and it seems ok.

I know it's not an error and I'm missing something, can you please help?

Here's a video of the problem (starts at 1:00m)

Thanks a LOT :pilotfly:

🇮🇱 DCS World 🇮🇱

On the overhead panel there are left and right engine power limit warning lights. You need to look at them anytime you change power as well as a regular part of your cockpit sweep. If they are on, you are killing your engines. You must back off until the lights go out.

If you follow this rule you will never kill your engines.

Iam not sure but how is the temperature in this mission? (Check above your head inside the Cockpit)

And how often did you get the "Engine Limitation" lights in those flights light up on the overhead panel (Below Dust protection notfication).

Could be Bird strike aswell .. but not everytime i quess and also most of the time not both engines.

From the sounds engine power lever seems to be in AUTO which is absolutely ok.

But the FOV is pretty narrow so the viewers of the Video cant check everything, so i cant say where the engine govenor switches off or on ?

a track would maybe be more usefull.

Edited by Isegrim

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

use the engine power indicator.

its on the right above the battery switches.

it has three red flags.

the bottom flag is cruise power (unlimited time)

the middle flag is max continuous power (max 30 mins)

the top flag is take off power (6 minutes)

the yellow flags are your 2 engines and where they are at.

the red flags move depending on conditions. altitude and out side temp. etc.

in your vid you are well above take off power. which should be your normal maximum.

only in emergencies should you exceed it and then only for 20-30 seconds.

edit, the ka-50 has very little power to spare when fully loaded.

Edited by Quadg

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Thanks a LOT guys,

I think you found my problem :) it looks like i cooked the engines with too high temps, and the POWER SET LIMIT was on for too long...

I reproduced the problem again with wider angle of view. Here's the vid.

Thanks again!

🇮🇱 DCS World 🇮🇱

Main warning light and engine power warning lights on the overhead panel were on.

We can't see if Electronic Engine Governors are on at the right wall panel. But RPM, EGT and power condition indicator clearly showed too much stress so the shut down.

As soon as the warning comes on, you need to lower collective and as soon rotor RPM drops, lower collective and go in autorotation flight envelope to get rotor RPM up. Get rid of all external stores and you can find a nice spot for an emergency autorotation landing.

Google Translate

In addition, turn on the dust-protection system only when taking off / landing and hovering near the ground (below 10m). The inclusion of this system increases the exhaust gas temperature up to 30°C, as well as the RPM gas-generator turbine up to 0.5%. This increases the risk of premature engine failure in the event that it runs long enough in takeoff mode.

When the left engine first failed in the video, you could still try to rectify the situation by continuing the flight and then landing on a single engine (DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN, [noparse]pp.10-47…10-48[/noparse]).

When both engines failed, you could also avoid a crash by trying to make an autorotation landing (DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN, pp.10-50…10-51; see also the video below after 04:05).

Hello everyone!

It seems that I'm kinda close to making regular videos. Let them be here in this Folder.

By the way here is a new one. Please check it out if you're interested by somehow in making some challenging things:)

Original in Russian

Кроме того, включайте пылезащитные устройства только при взлёте/посадке и висении у самой земли (ниже 10 м). Включение данных устройств увеличивает температуру газов перед турбиной до 30°C, а также частоту вращения турбокомпрессоров до 0,5%. Это увеличивает риск преждевременного отказа двигателя в том случае, если он достаточно долго работает во взлётном режиме.

Когда на видео у Вас сперва отказал левый двигатель, Вы могли ещё попытаться исправить ситуацию, продолжив полёт, а затем совершив посадку на одном двигателе (DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU, стр.10-48…10-50).

Когда у Вас отказали оба двигателя, то Вы также могли избежать крушения, попытавшись совершить авторотационную посадку (DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU, стр.10-52…10-53; см. также видео ниже после 04:05).

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

Main warning light and engine power warning lights on the overhead panel were on.

We can't see if Electronic Engine Governors are on at the right wall panel. But RPM, EGT and power condition indicator clearly showed too much stress so the shut down.

As soon as the warning comes on, you need to lower collective and as soon rotor RPM drops, lower collective and go in autorotation flight envelope to get rotor RPM up. Get rid of all external stores and you can find a nice spot for an emergency autorotation landing.

EEG were both on, will keep my eyes on the power for next times :)

Thanks!

🇮🇱 DCS World 🇮🇱

In addition, turn on the dust-protection system only when taking off / landing and hovering near the ground (below 10m). The inclusion of this system increases the exhaust gas temperature up to 30°C, as well as the RPM gas-generator turbine up to 0.5%. This increases the risk of premature engine failure in the event that it runs long enough in takeoff mode.

When the left engine first failed in the video, you could still try to rectify the situation by continuing the flight and then landing on a single engine (DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN, [noparse]pp.10-47…10-48[/noparse]).

When both engines failed, you could also avoid a crash by trying to make an autorotation landing (DCS BS2 Flight Manual EN, pp.10-50…10-51; see also the video below after 04:05).

Original in Russian

Кроме того, включайте пылезащитные устройства только при взлёте/посадке и висении у самой земли (ниже 10 м). Включение данных устройств увеличивает температуру газов перед турбиной до 30°C, а также частоту вращения турбокомпрессоров до 0,5%. Это увеличивает риск преждевременного отказа двигателя в том случае, если он достаточно долго работает во взлётном режиме.

Когда на видео у Вас сперва отказал левый двигатель, Вы могли ещё попытаться исправить ситуацию, продолжив полёт, а затем совершив посадку на одном двигателе (DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU, стр.10-48…10-50).

Когда у Вас отказали оба двигателя, то Вы также могли избежать крушения, попытавшись совершить авторотационную посадку (DCS BS2 Flight Manual RU, стр.10-52…10-53; см. также видео ниже после 04:05).

Thanks bro, will do!

🇮🇱 DCS World 🇮🇱

In addition, turn on the dust-protection system only when taking off / landing and hovering near the ground (below 10m).

What about cruising at very low level (~10m) over the dessert?

(I dust effects on the engines are not simulated in DCS, but how about real life?)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Google Translate

What about cruising at very low level (~10m) over the dessert?..

IIRC, in the DCS World dust on the ground appears when descending to 8m. With low-altitude flight at a sufficiently high speed, the dust cloud remains behind the helicopter, and therefore, IMHO, is unlikely to have any effect on the operation of its engines.

… (I dust effects on the engines are not simulated in DCS…

I'm afraid that ED developers will probably not agree with you.

Это я знаю, я спрашивал реализовано ли это в СИМУЛЯТОРЕ и какие будут последствия (если реализовано). Скажем, отлетал 10-20 часов без ПЗУ на ПМВ в пыли с короткими дозоправками. Будет ли падение мощности двигателей? Будет ли падение мощности с ПЗУ (если включить в СИМУЛЯТОРЕ)?

Да, все это считается.

… but how about real life?)

IRL, for example, the Mi-24V helicopter crew's manual stipulate the inclusion of dust-protection system immediately before take-off (when taxiing along the airfield, the dust-protection system is not required to be turned on), as well as before landing. After hover checking and transition to horizontal flight, after reducing the operation of the engines to the nominal mode, it is required to disconnect the dust-protection system. The height of turning the dust-protection system on or off in the manual is not specified, leaving it at the discretion of the pilot, depending on the surface of the landing grounds (soil, grass, concrete, etc.).

Original in Russian

What about cruising at very low level (~10m) over the dessert?..

ЕМНИП, в DCS World пыль на земле появляется при снижении до 8 м. При низковысотном полёте на достаточно большой скорости, пылевое облако остаётся позади вертолёта, и поэтому, ИМХО, вряд ли будет оказывать какое-либо влияние на работу его двигателей.

… (I dust effects on the engines are not simulated in DCS…

Боюсь, что разработчики ED с Вами вероятно не согласятся.

… but how about real life?)

В реальной жизни, например в инструкции экипажу вертолёта Ми-24В, оговаривается включение пылезащитных устройств (ПЗУ) непосредственно перед взлётом (при рулении по аэродрому включение ПЗУ не требуется), а также перед посадкой. После контрольного висения и перехода в горизонтальный полёт, после уменьшения работы двигателей до номинального режима, требуется отключить ПЗУ. Высота включения или отключения ПЗУ в инструкции не оговаривается, оставляя это на усмотрение пилота в зависимости от поверхности посадочных площадок (грунт, травяное покрытие, бетон и т.д.).

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.