Considering a Reverb, do I need a new PC?

cuervo111

Hi guys,

I am finally considering getting a VR set, specifically a Reverb because the reason I didn't get into this before if resolution and image clarity limits.

My current PC can handle DCS on a flat screen quite nicely regardless of its age and I am actually happy with the performance as it is. However, I am not sure if I will have to make a big upgrade to it. As long as performance is comparable to what I have now, I'd be happy. I guess I could get a new GPU along with the VR set but I am not sure how much sense would that make with an old CPU.

Running some quick tests, GPU is around 70% active and CPU is actually quite relaxed around 50% with pikes to 80% or so. I find this strange, since I am sure better hardware would give me better performance... Shouldn't I expect it to be 100% and struggling to churn out those pixels?

My specs are: i7 4771 @ 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24, GTX 970 4GB GDDR5

Any tips or experiences with a similar rig would be appreciated. Thanks :)

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

VR will typically give you around 50% or less performance versus monitor.

Your rig whilst it may run it will also struggle with it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'd recommend looking into a RAM and video card upgrade prior to going down the path to VR.

Of the sets, I've heard the Reverb offers the best visual fidelity but there are some major issues with tearing/smearing when things are happening quickly. If you're willing to cough up for it I think the Index is the best set on the market right now for all around resolution/performance/content. I am using a Rift S and find it adequate for reading/spotting and the price of entry is much lower.

Hi, any recommendation for a cpu with good prize to play well DCS on reverb? People told me that my 4790k is now a little bit old. Thank you
I use an i5-8600K which clocks to 5GHz. Single core performance is key for DCS in VR. Basically get the fastest single core performance you can get!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Even i gonna build a new pc. Looking for 9900k, 32 gb ram and 2080ti or amd 4000, 32 gb ddr4, 5950 xt. So amd surprise us! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Hi, any recommendation for a cpu with good prize to play well DCS on reverb? People told me that my 4790k is now a little bit old. Thank you

I'm using a i7-8086K @stable 4.9 GHz (which is more or less a special version of the 8700K) and I'm very happy with it. Considered the 9900K as well but for me the additional power needed and temperature compared to the 8700K made my decision easy as I'm using a Mini ITX case and MoBo and therefor temperature matters.

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Hi guys,

I am finally considering getting a VR set, specifically a Reverb because the reason I didn't get into this before if resolution and image clarity limits.

My current PC can handle DCS on a flat screen quite nicely regardless of its age and I am actually happy with the performance as it is. However, I am not sure if I will have to make a big upgrade to it. As long as performance is comparable to what I have now, I'd be happy. I guess I could get a new GPU along with the VR set but I am not sure how much sense would that make with an old CPU.

Running some quick tests, GPU is around 70% active and CPU is actually quite relaxed around 50% with pikes to 80% or so. I find this strange, since I am sure better hardware would give me better performance... Shouldn't I expect it to be 100% and struggling to churn out those pixels?

My specs are: i7 4771 @ 3.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24, GTX 970 4GB GDDR5

Any tips or experiences with a similar rig would be appreciated. Thanks :)

I'm using a Reverb myself and I'm not sure if you'd love it. Yes, clarity is really great (in my opinion) but it needs quite some power to enjoy it. My Vive pro was way more straight forward and performed a little bit better and the Reverb needed some tweaking but for me the clarity and minimized Screen Door Effect was worth the decrease in performance and tweaking

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

CPU's best price and performance ratio is Ryzen5 3600 6/12 for 200$.

The best in-game performance for DCS is i7 9700K 8/8 for 365$.

i9 9900 is the best gaming performance 8/16 for 485$. it is the best in-game performances but it is overpriced and overrated in any aspect.

Have in mind if you want to use intel potential for overclocking you need to spend at least 100$ more for proper cooling in way of some 150$ AiO.

The difference in price is better to invest in better GPU what will give you much more bust than any other expensive CPU could doo.

For future and DCS transition to Vulcan engine what will happen in next year or two Rayzen7 3700x 8/16 for 330$ will be best and most reasonable purchase what will serve you well another 6 years like your current configuration.

About GPU wait a little bit. Between November and January RX 5800 and RX 5900 cards coming out and this will change the GPU market for better no matter what graphics card you chose in the end. Don't buy GPU before that.

RX 5700 XT is 400$ and it is just average 4% slower than 500$ (25% more $) 2070Super but there are some reports, not confirmed, HP Reverb not working good with it. Possible driver issue and will be probably fixed soon.

Right now most reasonable purchase is 2070Super for 500$ and 2080Super for 700$.

Best GPU at the moment and still is 2080ti but it is way more expensive, 1100+$ and it is just 15 to 20% faster than 700$ 2080Super and this will change in the next two months at least in price if nothing else so it is the not right moment to buy 2080ti.

Right now there is no existing GPU who can run 90FPS and maxed out graphics in DCS on HP Reverb or Rift-S but this will be changed with Vulcan in future. Vulcan will give advanced multicore support for CPU and GPU multithreading support what will allow CF/SLI. Imagine 2x RX 5700 XT for 800$ will have 30% better performance than single 1100$ RTX 2080ti. Vulcan will be a real game-changer.

Edited by wormeaten

I'm using a i7-8086K @stable 4.9 GHz (which is more or less a special version of the 8700K) and I'm very happy with it. Considered the 9900K as well but for me the additional power needed and temperature compared to the 8700K made my decision easy as I'm using a Mini ITX case and MoBo and therefor temperature matters.

Super impressed you got all that into a mini ITX. I contemplated doing it, but just went conventional.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Super impressed you got all that into a mini ITX. I contemplated doing it, but just went conventional.

Thanks! Took a while to find proper components (GPU was the hardest part due to the limited space) and as I‘ve chosen a small case Lian li PC-Q38 it was very interesting. Starting point was a small PC for casual gaming in the living room on a 43“ TV screen and ended in an OC gaming machine with VR equipment for DCS in our guest room.

Thanks! Took a while to find proper components (GPU was the hardest part due to the limited space) and as I‘ve chosen a small case Lian li PC-Q38 it was very interesting. Starting point was a small PC for casual gaming in the living room on a 43“ TV screen and ended in an OC gaming machine with VR equipment for DCS in our guest room.

Nice looking case.

I basically just went for VR beast ish rig. I haven't OC'ed mine much but it mostly doesn't need it. And at least it will be easy to upgrade down the road.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for not replying earlier and thanks to all of you who gave tips.

I'll give an update in case it helps someone else in a similar situation. I am now a happy owner of a Rift S. I decided to try it because of the friendly returns policy, unlike the Reverb that apparently only admits returns if it is defective so at least in the UK there doesn't seem to be any way to try it before committing.

I found the Rift S really though. I understand clarity is not as good but the overall experience is great and there is no way I am going back to a flat screen now. I'd say resolution is just at the bare minimum for convenient flying but I can read the instruments so that was my personal red line.

Regarding performance, it was pretty bad with my pc as it was with frequent crashes and I got a Geforce 2070. With it and the excellent VR mod it is quite stable. I know my CPU and possibly memory is still a big bottleneck and might consider an upgrade this black friday, but to be honest, things are good enough to enjoy flying at least for me.

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

Hi dormicum,

I'm planning on buying the reverb myself and since you have a 2080gtx I'm not considering a 2080ti because that thing is almost 1300euro here which is insane...

Cuervo, you bought a rift s. Congratulations. You're experience makes me doubt the reverb again. It's your first vr set right? I have had a cv1 for 3 years so the vr wow effect had worn-out a bit for me. The rift s might not be the enormous upgrade I would expect. Since I need a new PC anyway I might as well get the reverb.

Still read a lot of negative things about reverbs quality and issues... 2nd batch seems to be a lot better however. I don't care about the controllers since I've hardly touched them using my cv1. I have a thrustmaster warthog and good rudder pedals.

Ohohoh, choices to make and money to spend....

Any wise recommendations are welcome.

I have a 2600k, ddr3, gtx970.

My plans are: 9700k or 8700k ( what do you think!!!!), 3200Mhz ram, 2080super and decent motherboard.

Thanks guys and happy flying!!

Cheers

Jozeff

About GPU wait a little bit. Between November and January RX 5800 and RX 5900 cards coming out and this will change the GPU market for better no matter what graphics card you chose in the end. Don't buy GPU before that.

Are you guessing or do you have a source? I want this to be true, wanting to get one of these AMD cards for my Reverb setup, was planning to get the 5700XT Nitro+ temporarily and then later upgrade. I'm actually aiming for the top tier AMD cards. So I could get these straight away.

Still read a lot of negative things about reverbs quality and issues... 2nd batch seems to be a lot better however. I don't care about the controllers since I've hardly touched them using my cv1.

You still read "a lot of negative things" about these second batch Reverbs because people don't use separately powered PCIe cards or powered USB hubs. 80% of these issues are not related to the headsets themselves but due to the fact they are not getting enough power into them. You need a powered usb hub or separately powered PCIe USB card.

My plans are: 9700k or 8700k ( what do you think!!!!), 3200Mhz ram, 2080super and decent motherboard.

Depends on how tight your budget is. If it isn't go for the newer stuff.

Edited by Der Hirte

Thanks for your replies,

Well, indeed a lot of comments were about the black screens and lack of power delivered by the USB ports. I have a separate USB card fed by the PSU.

Well, I guess I'll have to go for the reverb then.

First, build a hefty pcsnd then order the reverb.

Cheers

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff

I‘m pretty happy with my Reverb and don‘t have issues with my Reverb so far. The limiting factor (at least shown in fpsVR) is the GPU in my system. The CPU is running around 50% but the GPU more or less in the high 90%. Having set up my system according recommendations from Thud‘s VR4DCS blog (thanks a lot to Thud!!) I‘m getting 45 fps most of the time, only on ground with a lot of Tomcats is sometimes down to 20. Therefor the 2080 Super should be fine

@jozeff yes it is my first VR experience (well not counting trying a super primitive thing decades ago as a kid at a fun fair). I've read a few days ago about a guy that used the CV1, S and Reverb and he said that the jump from the CV1 to the S is much higher than from the S to the Reverb. I do not doubt the Reverb is better but I think the best option for me is waiting maybe a couple of years for a next gen and see how things are looking then. I can't really justify hundreds or thousands of pounds more for some extra image clarity to myself tbh :)

Having said that I won't lie I am quite curious to experience DCS and other sims in higher resolution! Good luck with your Reverb

VR will typically give you around 50% or less performance versus monitor.

Your rig whilst it may run it will also struggle with it.

Hiya Dburne!

This does not particularly hold true with the XTAL, in fact I have better performance while also having better visual clarity and FOV than both the VIVE pro and the Reverb.

All of this performance running on an i7 6850k + 2080 Ti to boot!

More details coming after I finish my current trip.

PC: i7-6850K/2080Ti, 32GB RAM.

Flight Controls: Thrust Master Warthog Set

Rudder Pedals : TM TPR

VR: HTC Vive & Pro / Oculus Rift / HP Reverb Pro / XTAL

Are you guessing or do you have a source? I want this to be true, wanting to get one of these AMD cards for my Reverb setup, was planning to get the 5700XT Nitro+ temporarily and then later upgrade. I'm actually aiming for the top tier AMD cards. So I could get these straight away.

All is based on rumors but from reliable sources who was leaked information's in past and was shown in the end pretty accurate.

Latest news say RX 5800 (NAVI 12) card's release delayed for January. RX 5900 is not sure is it NAVI 12 based card and will be released same time as 5800 or is NAVI 20 based card so will be released latter next year. Any way some official information will be released in December for sure.

About Nvidia, they releasing new 30XX generation based on 7nm. It is anounced will be in Q2 what will be year and half after RTX 20XX.

There is a GPU war in 2020 obviously. Nvidia 30XX generation is expecting to have segnificant bust in performances as well as lower lunching prices than 20XX.

As you say RX 5700 XT is dissent solution for that transition period but maybe will be good to wait till January and this RX 5800 XT release. Expecting performances will be around 2080Super in price range 550 to 600$.