DCS Newbie with HUD question

himilou

Hey All,

After a prolonged battle with headtracking, joystick layout, and general lack of flight skills I have found one thing very annoying and I don't know how to fix it or really even search for how to fix it.

Using headtracking the HUD display ( just the HUD not the whole view ) in front of the pilot tends to slew around so often you you can only see parital view of the HUD, so often things like airspeed or altitude are obscured by the HUD display frame.

Is there anyway to lock the HUD display so that it just stays in a fixed position on the display glass directly infront of the pilot?

Thanks!!

Hey All,

After a prolonged battle with headtracking, joystick layout, and general lack of flight skills I have found one thing very annoying and I don't know how to fix it or really even search for how to fix it.

Using headtracking the HUD display ( just the HUD not the whole view ) in front of the pilot tends to slew around so often you you can only see parital view of the HUD, so often things like airspeed or altitude are obscured by the HUD display frame.

Is there anyway to lock the HUD display so that it just stays in a fixed position on the display glass directly infront of the pilot?

Thanks!!

Hi Himilou and welcome to the forum!

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but this "slew" effect you are describing is actually very realistic. The info you see on the HUD is projected there. You can compare it to looking in a mirror (the combiner in case of the HUD). When you move your head, the reflected image "shifts" and you'll see other things.

I quickly found this image which might help you understand the principle, but there are probably also some videos out there that explain.

000-ASG-HUD-1A.png

So basically, only if you look straight through the combiner, you'll see all HUD info. Move your head and yes, some info will not be visible

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Not really.

Doing so would mess up the parallax location of the elements within the HUD. For example, if the fire control designated an impact point of a weapon, and that indication was fixed on the HUD glass, then moving your head would disrupt the parallax relationship between the target pipper and the computed impact point.

Same with the horizon. If the navigation system calculated the position of the horizon and projected it onto the HUD glass, then when you moved your head/seat up or down the parallax relationship between the real and HUD horizon would not match.

As such, the HUD is a tool which projects the display image in front of the jet, to the point where you cannot mess up the sigh picture through eye point movement within the cockpit.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mikesflightdeck.com%2Fimages%2Ffhud.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The WW2 guys have to be more careful about the relationship between their eyes and the illuminated gunsite they use for aiming. Some of them aren't projected with the combiner and thus they have to deal with this problem.

Nice job beating me to the punch sirrah!

Sit straight and normal as you would want to sit in front of the monitor during the game and reset view of your headtracking so that becomes your default view now. It will line up the HUD perfectly. It can get decalibrated after some time so you'll have to do that again. You'll get used to that quickly.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

You can bind the TiR re-center to a hotas button .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks all. I eventually will bind the TiR to a HOTAS key, in the meantime I have it bound to the up \ down \ left arrow keys.

I started at this a long time ago in Falcon 4 ( the original ) I was just hoping to get a stuck HUD like that.