My hide-away VR cockpit.

maverickturner

Hans,

You can easily see the MFDs (not the screen because DisplayLink and VR don't play nice) and button boxes through the bridge of the goggle.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Gt9eFPr.jpg?1

The Idea

My wife and I recently moved into a medium size apartment which obviously doesn't support home cockpit builds very well. So before moving, I needed to design a compact cockpit that was functional, moveable and respectively looked like a piece of furniture (as per wife's request). After 3 months of design, input from previous builds, and a year's worth of building, this is the final result. See the whole presentation here!

Please note I am in no way a carpenter nor have I ever taken on such a large woodworking project. My tools were cheap and there are certainly noticeable imperfections. Tips and advice are always welcome.

Specs

• 54”L x 24”W x 26"H; Can comfortably support a 6’6” occupant
  • Weight: 120lbs
  • Cost: $400-500 for build; excludes TM Warthog and main monitor

Features

• Scratch resistant Alkyd enamel paint
  • Laminate paneling in recesses
  • Adjustable MFD display
  • Drink holder
  • Custom paint scheme for grab / no hold areas.
  • TM Warthog w/ custom 7” extension
  • Locking swing-out monitor for 2D cockpit experience.

Future Ideas

• MAVERICK flight helmet and O2 mask with custom Oculus HMD mount
  • Red/white cockpit light for night use
  • Rumble seat speaker system
  • Improved locking mechanism for swing monitor
  • Adjustable joystick position via sliding track lock system
  • Improved lid locking mechanisms for added support

BXfQBlS.jpg?1

FFvsqiv.jpg?1

Lf9KEhm.jpg?1

rmucVRR.gif

cANzLgR.gif

9B8dgVM.gif

iXSkyYs.jpg?1

That is AWESOME !! Good jog bud!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love your simpit!!

Here's mine. It converts into a bed bench. Slightly smaller than yours, I think? I made it pre-VR, and may build a new one, based on lessons learned, and your pit, which have some really neat solutions.

44AB3E82-B258-4203-B258-5EF15AFB3205-4265-0000041012AACB52.thumb.jpeg.346179dc48be457a0b8b4fe777c65112.jpeg

2823DB21-0C3C-4E04-B8CD-5EE3ECAA6FAF-4265-00000410217B14BA.thumb.jpeg.6bcb180d03d1a8cce526b99649226aaa.jpeg

• Like 1

What's wrong with you people? I just tell my wife how it's going to be and that's THAT!

Oh wait, here she comes.../* ALT-TAB to excel, pretending to work */ :)

Awesome solutions, all around!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 4 weeks later...
I love your simpit!!

Here's mine. It converts into a bed bench. Slightly smaller than yours, I think? I made it pre-VR, and may build a new one, based on lessons learned, and your pit, which have some really neat solutions.

I like the "bench" function, and it looks very cool too.

But it seems that you have more "pre-flight" assembly work to do ?

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Awesome idea, very well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

But it seems that you have more "pre-flight" assembly work to do ?

True.

Like I said, I built it before I got hooked on VR flying. It had to support a 34" curved, ultrawide screen.

Here's a early timelapse of the build. As you can see, I have made several design changes.

One thing I would like to have is easier and faster setup. So, I will probably make a new one, stealing some ideas in this thread ;)

That's a 23" screen in the vid. Here's a pic with the 34"

IMG_7815.thumb.JPG.c8796b31d52df073f37341e697ff4a89.JPG

Edited by Goblin

• 2 weeks later...

holy crap.. you've built what I have been trying to design for the last 6 months...

Don't suppose you have any plans? How did you do the seat? I'm looking at using a back seat from a Hyundai Santa Fe from a car wrecker/breaker, looks like you have a DIY version there, looks awesome.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

• 2 weeks later...