Screen Tearing

I've been having issues with what I guess is screen tearing. Most noticeable on canopy frame when quickly looking side to side. In 2.1 version I only see this when pressing Alt+Enter (testing to see if it helped performance} but I see it in 1.57 version all the time now. I.ve been playing around with all kinds of settings in-game and with Nvidia settings so I'm wondering what settings could affect this or what I could do to get rid of it.

I have an ASUS PB277Q with 1MS response and 75HZ refresh rate.

Computer spec= I7 6700K, GTX 970. 16 gig RAM.

VSync off in-game and Application controlled in Nvidia Panel.

I just tried Vsync on in-game and although it did seem to get rid of tearing it replaced it with an equally annoying "vibrating" effect.

Edited by cthulhu68

To avoid tearing, I've always been using adaptive V-sync via drivers (in-game V-sync off), with Alt-Entering to make it work. I agree, however, it doesn't seem to be giving smooth panning after 1.5.7 update (compared to previous version and to 2.1.1 that is), on my GTX1070.

I suspect it's a result of the old renderer not working very well with new features partially ported from 2.1.x. Pity, because 1.5.6 was a rocket compared to 2.1.1, but now Caucasus seems to be running more rough than Nevada for some reason.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There's not such a thing as a V-Sync monitor, only a G-Sync monitor (or Free Sync for AMD). Both are hardware sulutions for V-Sync problems.

I just tried Vsync on in-game and although it did seem to get rid of tearing it replaced it with an equally annoying "vibrating" effect.

The "vibrating" effect comes from your FPS dropping below the V-Sync rate.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

The "vibrating" effect comes from your FPS dropping below the V-Sync rate.

Nope, i have the same issue with TIR and DCS. I run DCS on a 144HZ screen, what i've found:

Vsync at 144HZ, testing a solo mission when i'am sure to have a constant 144FPS (and confirmed by the FPS counter): view panning with TIR feel a bit jerky, but playable.

Vsync at 120HZ, 120FPS all the time: view panning with TIR perfectly smooth.

Vsync at 60HZ, 60 FPS all the time: view panning perfectly smooth, but I can notice motion blur, more than on a native 60HZ screen.

Screen at 144HZ, Vsync set to adaptive 1/2 refresh rate, so 72FPS, view panning with TIR is not smooth, but perfect with mouse or keyboard. It's hard to describe in English, but it's like running DCS at 30FPS.

I noticed that the V-sync helped but was also causing a hit to performance. I tested the 4 settings and found...

On= Gets rid of tearing but drops FPS by 15 or so

Adaptive= Seemed to do nothing but lower FPS

Adaptive(1/2 refresh rate) = Didn't work as well as On and same FPS loss

Fast= Works as good or better than On and no FPS loss

adaptive v-sync does not try to match or sync frames. what it does is reject frames that will tear.

so you get a much faster and smoother sync effect by rejecting unsynced frames. than you do by trying to sync every frame.

i much prefer adaptive v-sync

but im flying in VR now so this is all moot.

you need dcs running in full screen mode for adaptive v -sync to work

so after the game starts press lalt-enter. because even if it looks like its running in full screen mode. it is not..

i have to do this every time for VR too.. or else mouse clicks on cockpit buttons actually click random things on my desktop..

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I'll try the adaptive modes in full'screen and see how that works. Thx. One question about forcing full-screen. Do I have to start DCS in windowed mode with fullscreen unchecked in-game?

Maybe one day I won't be so confused by all these monitor settings but you are talking with someone who once had a tv/stereo that looked something like this...

You can start DCS with fullscreen checked - doesn't matter because it still fires up in borderless windowed mode and you have to Alt-Enter.

Also, the behaviour differs between versions - in 1.5.x Alt-Entering once after launch is enough, but in 2.1.1, you have to do it every single time you go from 2D to 3D, because for some stupid reason the game keeps flipping back to borderless all by itself.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You can start DCS with fullscreen checked - doesn't matter because it still fires up in borderless windowed mode and you have to Alt-Enter.

Also, the behaviour differs between versions - in 1.5.x Alt-Entering once after launch is enough, but in 2.1.1, you have to do it every single time you go from 2D to 3D, because for some stupid reason the game keeps flipping back to borderless all by itself.

Are you sure about this? I have tick the full screen option, and it seem to launch in true full screen now in the last 1.5.7.

Are you sure about this? I have tick the full screen option, and it seem to launch in true full screen now in the last 1.5.7.

That would be great if it is really true. Full screen has been broken for a very long time now.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

That would be great if it is really true. Full screen has been broken for a very long time now.

I've just give it a try, and i'm sure it work. I've launch DCS, alt+tab to see my browser, and it leave full screen to be in borderless mode.

Sure I'm sure :D - my adaptive V-sync via NV cpl still doesn't engage (as it didn't in previous 1.5.x iterations either), that's the first thing I notice after every patch. So I still have to Alt-Enter. Oh well, at least have to do it only once, compared to the damn 2.1.1, which starts getting on my nerves in this aspect.