DCS 2.5 OB. The Goods and the Bads.

So with the Release version no where around, I decided to Install the 2.5 OB yesterday. Want to share my experience during the brief testing yesterday. The installation went smooth. 95 GBs copied from 2.2 OA and 18.5 GBs downloaded.

NOTE : I have not tried any campaign. So cannot comment on that. Only brief testing in SP and MP.

Hardware : Core i7 7700k 4.7 Ghz, Dual 1070 G1 Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz, Samsung SSD 250 GB.

The Goods:-

1- I feel huge performance improvement with the new graphic engine. The new Caucauss Map is very detailed and beautiful and the FPS is even better than the old 1.5 Caucauss. I am using High settings with view distance set to ultra, MSAA x8 and anisotropic filtering x16. Everything runs smooth.

2 - DCS 2.5 Seems to be utilizing harware resources in a good way. I can see VRAM usage upto 6.5 GBs and RAM usage upto 11 GBs. There are no stuttering issues.

3 - The performance improvement also applies on NTTR and Normandy. I am getting same FPS with single Card as I used to get with SLI.

The Bads

1 - Tried to join multiplayer server. The VRAM usage went upto 100%(8 GBs) and system crashed. Same results after multiple attempts. Unable to play multiplayer.

2 - In NTTR and Normandy there is a strange flickering issue. Specially at places where there are buildings and objects there is quite heavy flickering. This was not present in 2.2 OA. However, the Caucauss map is working fine with no such issues.

As for MP I have waited upto 4 minutes for DCS to collect itself and allow me to chose an aircraft, on the other hand it has crashed logging onto a server. It has also crashed occasionally just loading a model. It is open beta after all. :)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

As for MP I have waited upto 4 minutes for DCS to collect itself and allow me to chose an aircraft, on the other hand it has crashed logging onto a server. It has also crashed occasionally just loading a model. It is open beta after all. :)

As per my limited knowledge, there is a memory leak issue which ED is aware and working on. However, I am having VRAM problems. Video memory is getting choked not the RAM.

I am not an expert but I think the things that are supposed to go in RAM and being loaded in VRAM. :music_whistling:

As per my limited knowledge, there is a memory leak issue which ED is aware and working on. However, I am having VRAM problems. Video memory is getting choked not the RAM.

I am not an expert but I think the things that are supposed to go in RAM and being loaded in VRAM. :music_whistling:

Me too. I have a GTX 1080 and am using VR.

For single Player usage, i was at around 5-6GB VRAM. Multiplayer is nearly using the 8GB.

What helped a little for me was lowering Terrain Textures to LOW (no difference in texture quality but less VRAM usage) and turning Textures to Medium (difference from high to low is barely noticable in VR at least).

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Drag80,

strange you realize these VRAM troubles.

My experience is exactly the opposite. In DCS MP my 16GB RAM was immediately full and DCS stuttered or sometimes crashed. Updated to 24GB RAM yesterday and things are fine again.

My GPU/whole System is way below yours , but never had any Trouble with VRAM.

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

For single Player usage, i was at around 5-6GB VRAM. Multiplayer is nearly using the 8GB.

What helped a little for me was lowering Terrain Textures to LOW (no difference in texture quality but less VRAM usage) and turning Textures to Medium (difference from high to low is barely noticable in VR at least).

The heaviest and latest games I have played do not use more than 4 or 4.5 GB Vram. This DCS 2.5 bug should be sorted out with priority. I mean only a small number of people have 11GB Vrams. Most of the latest cards are 8 GB even 1080s.

I hope this is an optimization issue which can be sorted out.

Drag80,

strange you realize these VRAM troubles.

My experience is exactly the opposite. In DCS MP my 16GB RAM was immediately full and DCS stuttered or sometimes crashed. Updated to 24GB RAM yesterday and things are fine again.

My GPU/whole System is way below yours , but never had any Trouble with VRAM.

I am also planning to upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32. BUT the RAM prices are too high and When other latest games are ok with 16 GB, DCS shd also be optimized to use 16 GBs. This is what their recommended requirement says.

I am also planning to upgrade the RAM from 16 to 32. BUT the RAM prices are too high and When other latest games are ok with 16 GB, DCS shd also be optimized to use 16 GBs. This is what their recommended requirement says.

this is exactly where my prayers go to... 16GB should be more than enough..so much hoping they fix this.

I was only updating to 24GB because of my 110% passion for DCS.

but I have to admit that it feels a bit crazy to operate 24GB RAM (or more) on an aging home - PC just for flight simming :)

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

There is a visible difference between low and high terrain textures

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3397233&postcount=72

Rather than going for increased RAM, I am thinking to save a little more and get a 1080 ti for gaming and use the two 1070s for mining. The 1080 ti can be placed in the main x16 Pcie slot and the 1070s can be connected via riser adapters. 850 watt PSU shd be able to handle all three.

As far as RAM is concerned, it is an optimization bug. Untill or unless this bug is taken care off, there is a high chance that even 32 GBs of RAM will not be enough. The game may load normally with 32 GBs but eventually it will also get overwhelmed and crash bcoz ITS A BUGGGG.

Therefore, at the moment, I do not feel like spending money on RAM.

Edited by Drag80

• 4 weeks later...

I feel the last 2 years of trying to make this DCS experience what I remember when it was 2D and not so complicated (2005... FUN!) Is being started again with more tweaking and more tweaking. Does anyone share their DCS SETTINGS screen? and Graphics Card Settings Screen?

What a struggle and after upgrading to 32Gig memory, the newest 2.50 is like starting back at square 1. Not getting any improvement at all, only lots of stuttering and its back to "must be the Joystick " theory. Or my settings. I am using a 2016 Gaming system from DELL.

The ONLY way I was able to make any version of the DCS experience playable was to use Process LASSO and designate each of the 4 processors to specific functions and high priority to DCS .

I wish I could See what I saw on Youtube with some great new videos. Im just not getting close to that, rather moving backwards.