MK-20 Rockeye tactics/techniques IRL

johnv2pt0

From my experience as a RAF ground attack pilot (not gr7/9) the CCIP would normally be artificially placed at the centre of the weapons footprint. So dropping 3 bombs has the CCIP at the calculated impact point of the 2nd bomb. Dropping a stick of 4 has it between the 2nd and 3rd. etc etc.

I don’t know which height sensor the GR7/9 or AV8B uses, but incorrect height from the height sensor is the normal reason that a real CCIP doesn’t indicate correctly and you miss the DMPI despite a good pickle as the CCIP passes the target. The Height sensor is needed to complete the triangle of calculations for range to target for the depiction of CCIP. if the target is at a different height to the aircraft at point of release and system is using Radalt, the CCIP picture is bollox and the weapons will miss. Other height sensors are available. In my time it was radalt (as discussed above), BARO/IN, (INS height filtered with barometric to give a best system guess using a passive method), AGR (air to ground ranging on radar. Where radar looked a split second ahead of CCIP to get a direct range solution) or laser (best of all but regulations limited its use in peacetime if not dropping on a laser LOA at a weapons range due not being eyesafe).

Forward firing sensors are always the best as you get a more accurate calculation since the range is based on the hypotenuse and doesn’t care what height AGL you are, just the height above the target plane is important.

In relation to DCS, I don’t know if the sim is complex enough to look at height sensors in the targeting solution. Don’t know which height sensor is active for any given drop and Also don’t know what error is causing a misplaced CCIP... but there is a bit of background for you as to the causes in a real ground attack aircraft.

NB. Accurate height reference is essential for ALL unguided munition delivery to have accurate sighting calculations or accurate CCRP calculations

• Like 3

Thanks Dangerman for all that info. It seems that since the CCIP cross gives accurate results with other munitions (however Razbam is calculating that slant ranging) that it's most likely an issue with the game's Mk-20 and not the modeling of the av-8 and thus something ED will need to address at some point. I want to say I have read Razbam talking about all these CCIP calculations somewhere in a development thread too.

Good to know! For now it's Kentucky windage for me ...

From my experience as a RAF ground attack pilot (not gr7/9) the CCIP would normally be artificially placed at the centre of the weapons footprint. So dropping 3 bombs has the CCIP at the calculated impact point of the 2nd bomb. Dropping a stick of 4 has it between the 2nd and 3rd. etc etc.

I don’t know which height sensor the GR7/9 or AV8B uses, but incorrect height from the height sensor is the normal reason that a real CCIP doesn’t indicate correctly and you miss the DMPI despite a good pickle as the CCIP passes the target. The Height sensor is needed to complete the triangle of calculations for range to target for the depiction of CCIP. if the target is at a different height to the aircraft at point of release and system is using Radalt, the CCIP picture is bollox and the weapons will miss. Other height sensors are available. In my time it was radalt (as discussed above), BARO/IN, (INS height filtered with barometric to give a best system guess using a passive method), AGR (air to ground ranging on radar. Where radar looked a split second ahead of CCIP to get a direct range solution) or laser (best of all but regulations limited its use in peacetime if not dropping on a laser LOA at a weapons range due not being eyesafe).

Forward firing sensors are always the best as you get a more accurate calculation since the range is based on the hypotenuse and doesn’t care what height AGL you are, just the height above the target plane is important.

In relation to DCS, I don’t know if the sim is complex enough to look at height sensors in the targeting solution. Don’t know which height sensor is active for any given drop and Also don’t know what error is causing a misplaced CCIP... but there is a bit of background for you as to the causes in a real ground attack aircraft.

NB. Accurate height reference is essential for ALL unguided munition delivery to have accurate sighting calculations or accurate CCRP calculations

As far as I understand the AN/ASB-19 Angle Rate Bombing System of the Harrier is pretty unique as that it doesn't get height data from usal sources like RADALT, Laser ranging, radar ranging, baro pressure, INS or GPS, but from the angel to the target.

More info in this video:

And also in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196709

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...

It should be remembered that Mark 118 bombers are very small and it is probably a requirement for hit to kill on an MBT type target. Geometrically the footprint area divided by the bomblet count (247) is the roughly the size of a target that may be expected to receive one bomblet hit.

For a footprint diameter of 100m the area is 7850m^2. T-55 tank is about 7.5m^2. 7850/247 is 31.8m^2 per bomblet. Thus a hit on such a tank is roughly 7.5/31.8=23.6% likelihood.

From this type of math the desire to drop multiple weapons with small overlapping patterns can be appreciated.

As far as I understand the AN/ASB-19 Angle Rate Bombing System of the Harrier is pretty unique as that it doesn't get height data from usal sources like RADALT, Laser ranging, radar ranging, baro pressure, INS or GPS, but from the angel to the target.

More info in this video:

And also in this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196709

Man an A-4M would be cool in DCS World!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS