Yet another VR Stutter Issue Thread (RiFt-S) - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
tylero68

Default Yet another VR Stutter Issue Thread (RiFt-S)

In the past few weeks my system has developed a stutter/ghosting issue that has become a huge annoyance.

The problem occurs as stutters when moving my head around in the pit. Not even sure stutters are the correct term, but it will be a rapid double vision or clunky movement. I have tried messing with the in game ASW(rctrl+numpad(1-4)) and it has not helped. What does, however, seem to immediately help the issue is Alt+Enter (Fullscreen to Windowed and vice versa). This fix is only temporary and after a few seconds I hit it again and it fixes it again for a short while. My FPS are not dropping and generally stay pegged at 40 with the current settings, even while the stutters occur. This has occurred with multiple aircraft (F16, P51, L39, Bf109, etc.).

Could this be an issue with my GPU settings? (Gsync? (i have a g sync monitor)) I have updated my GPU drivers since the issue started and nothing changed. I honestly feel like all these damn driver updates screw up more things than they fix so when things are running properly I try to avoid it like the plague. I do generally play music in the background and have browsers open and such. But I did this before to no effect on performance so I don't think this is it, just adding for transparency. Additionally, my GPU monitoring software starts the "OSD" every time I fire the game up and don't know how to stop it from doing so (EVGA Precision XOC).

Provided everything I could think of below. Will provide track file if needed.

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
GTX 1080ti
32 gb 3200mhz RAM
Rift-S

In-game settings:
Textures: High
Terrain Textures: High
Civ. Traffic: Off
Water: Medium
Visib Range: High
Heat Blur: Off
Shadows: Flat Only
Res: 2560X1440
Aspect Ration: 1.778
Monitors: 1 Screen
Res. of Cockpit Disp.: 1024
MSAA: Off
Depth of Field: off
Lens Eff.: Off
Motion Blur: Off
SSAA: Off
Clutter/Grass: 0
Trees Vis: 40%
Preload: 150000
Smoke: 0
Gamma: 2.1
Anisotropic: 4x
Terrain Object Shadows: Off
Cockpit Global Illum: On
No rain droplets
no v sync
Full screen checked
scale gui: off

GPU Settings:
Global Settings:
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic Filtering: App Controlled
FXAA: Off
Gamma Correction: On
Antialiasing Mode: App Controlled
Antialiasing Transparency: Off
CUDA: All
DSR Factors: Off
Low Latency Mode: Off
Monitor Tech: Gsync
MFAA: Off
OpenGL: Auto
Power: Max Perf
Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest
Shader Cache: On
Texture Filt - Anisotropic: Off
Texture Filt 0 Negative LOD: Clamp
Texture Filt Quality: Quality
Texcture Filt - Tiilinear: Off
Threaded Optimization: Auto
Triple Buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: 3d app setting
VR pre-rendered frames: 3d app setting
tylero68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
dburne
Veteran

Couple things I would try first.

Do a Repair of DCS.
Delete FXO and Metashader 2 files in Saved Games DCS directory.
Try again.

If issue persists, try doing the below:
Download latest Nvidia drivers.
Download latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller.
Disconnect Internet.
Reboot to safe mode.
Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current Nvidia display drivers in safe mode.
Reboot to windows desktop (internet still disconnected).
Install Nvidia drivers you previously downloaded.
Only install the driver itself and PhysX - leave that other stuff alone.
Reboot again.
Connect Internet and give try running the game again.

If issue still persists, try a Repair of the Oculus software. Download the installer and run it, choose repair.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
tylero68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
Couple things I would try first.

Do a Repair of DCS.
Delete FXO and Metashader 2 files in Saved Games DCS directory.
Try again.

If issue persists, try doing the below:
Download latest Nvidia drivers.
Download latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller.
Disconnect Internet.
Reboot to safe mode.
Use Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the current Nvidia display drivers in safe mode.
Reboot to windows desktop (internet still disconnected).
Install Nvidia drivers you previously downloaded.
Only install the driver itself and PhysX - leave that other stuff alone.
Reboot again.
Connect Internet and give try running the game again.

If issue still persists, try a Repair of the Oculus software. Download the installer and run it, choose repair.
Thanks for the response. Will try the above. I have repaired the oculus software already this week, due to other issues. Not recognizing headset, multiple forced restarts, etc. That software is a different story and has had me looking at other headsets because I'm sick of its crap.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylero68 View Post
Thanks for the response. Will try the above. I have repaired the oculus software already this week, due to other issues. Not recognizing headset, multiple forced restarts, etc. That software is a different story and has had me looking at other headsets because I'm sick of its crap.
That is a little odd, mine has been solid as can be. I do see at times others having issues with it some.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
Old 10-21-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
parxuk

Quote:
In the past few weeks my system has developed a stutter/ghosting issue that has become a huge annoyance.

The problem occurs as stutters when moving my head around in the pit. Not even sure stutters are the correct term, but it will be a rapid double vision or clunky movement. I have tried messing with the in game ASW(rctrl+numpad(1-4)) and it has not helped. What does, however, seem to immediately help the issue is Alt+Enter (Fullscreen to Windowed and vice versa). This fix is only temporary and after a few seconds I hit it again and it fixes it again for a short while. My FPS are not dropping and generally stay pegged at 40 with the current settings, even while the stutters occur. This has occurred with multiple aircraft (F16, P51, L39, Bf109, etc.).

Could this be an issue with my GPU settings? (Gsync? (i have a g sync monitor)) I have updated my GPU drivers since the issue started and nothing changed. I honestly feel like all these damn driver updates screw up more things than they fix so when things are running properly I try to avoid it like the plague. I do generally play music in the background and have browsers open and such. But I did this before to no effect on performance so I don't think this is it, just adding for transparency. Additionally, my GPU monitoring software starts the "OSD" every time I fire the game up and don't know how to stop it from doing so (EVGA Precision XOC).

Provided everything I could think of below. Will provide track file if needed.

System Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
GTX 1080ti
32 gb 3200mhz RAM
Rift-S

In-game settings:
Textures: High
Terrain Textures: High
Civ. Traffic: Off
Water: Medium
Visib Range: High
Heat Blur: Off
Shadows: Flat Only
Res: 2560X1440
Aspect Ration: 1.778
Monitors: 1 Screen
Res. of Cockpit Disp.: 1024
MSAA: Off
Depth of Field: off
Lens Eff.: Off
Motion Blur: Off
SSAA: Off
Clutter/Grass: 0
Trees Vis: 40%
Preload: 150000
Smoke: 0
Gamma: 2.1
Anisotropic: 4x
Terrain Object Shadows: Off
Cockpit Global Illum: On
No rain droplets
no v sync
Full screen checked
scale gui: off

GPU Settings:
Global Settings:
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Anisotropic Filtering: App Controlled
FXAA: Off
Gamma Correction: On
Antialiasing Mode: App Controlled
Antialiasing Transparency: Off
CUDA: All
DSR Factors: Off
Low Latency Mode: Off
Monitor Tech: Gsync
MFAA: Off
OpenGL: Auto
Power: Max Perf
Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest
Shader Cache: On
Texture Filt - Anisotropic: Off
Texture Filt 0 Negative LOD: Clamp
Texture Filt Quality: Quality
Texcture Filt - Tiilinear: Off
Threaded Optimization: Auto
Triple Buffering: Off
Vertical Sync: 3d app setting
VR pre-rendered frames: 3d app setting
I am experiencing exactly the same issue as you, and can also confirm that pressing Alt + Enter temporarily fixes it, then it goes bad again.

really annoying, and it hasnt always been like it, so dont know whats changed? Glad its not just me though.
Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Aorus GTX1080Ti, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Saitek X52, Saitek Rudder Pedals, TrackIR, GoFlight MCP Pro, EFIS, GF46. Windows 10 x64, Oculus Rift S, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf.
parxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
tylero68

I tried the above that dburne mentioned and no fix. Seems to be marginally improved, but not fixed.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
dburne
Veteran

Quote:
I tried the above that dburne mentioned and no fix. Seems to be marginally improved, but not fixed.
Any chance the lighting in your room has changed any?

Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #8
eaglecash867

When you're using DCS in VR, I would start by reducing resolution to the lowest possible level. It shouldn't have any effect on your resolution in the Rift S. Lowering your cockpit display resolution to 256 will also boost performance, but if you spend a lot of time using your mirrors, you might not like how they look. Also, what is your pixel density set to?

If your GPU monitoring software behaves like other executables that autorun when you fire up DCS, you should be able to go to the .exe file for that and set "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab. That should prevent it from automatically running.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:38 AM   #9
tylero68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburne View Post
Any chance the lighting in your room has changed any?
Negative. I can try changine the lighting and see what happens, but if it's a lighting issue then logic tells me that Alt+Enter wouldnt help it out at all.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #10
tylero68

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecash867 View Post
When you're using DCS in VR, I would start by reducing resolution to the lowest possible level. It shouldn't have any effect on your resolution in the Rift S. Lowering your cockpit display resolution to 256 will also boost performance, but if you spend a lot of time using your mirrors, you might not like how they look. Also, what is your pixel density set to?

If your GPU monitoring software behaves like other executables that autorun when you fire up DCS, you should be able to go to the .exe file for that and set "Run as administrator" in the compatibility tab. That should prevent it from automatically running.
pixel density = 1.5

I also play with mirrors off.

Also, and I guess this is the frustrating part, up until a week or two ago the exact settings I am using right now were working perfectly. So something has happened somewhere in the matrix to screw things up. Either a DCS update, GPU driver update, or Oculus software update. And, unfortunately, software updates so often these days it's made it difficult to pinpoint the culprit.