AH-1 not in scope anymore ...? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Flagrum
Veteran

Default AH-1 not in scope anymore ...?

From the Wags AMA at Mudspike (https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-am...r-matt-wagner/)

Quote:
What are the development statuses of the formerly Belsimtek Attack Choppers? Has the specific variant of the AH-1 been determined?

Belsimtek (BST) has not been in existence for a long time. BST was originally set up as a branch of Eagle Dynamics as a 3rd party example as a business practice. With the establishment of other 3rd parties, it no longer made sense to keep that staff under a separate entity. They were then merged back into Eagle Dynamics.
Much of our modern aircraft team is focused on the F/A-18C, F-16C, and Mi-24 Hind.
He does not answer the question but what he said sounds like "No BST = no AH-1" to me, i.e. there are no plans for the Cobra at the moment.

If I read this wrong, please correct me, ED ...
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 01:36 PM   #2
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Delayed after the F-4E Phantom.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagrum View Post
From the Wags AMA at Mudspike (https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-am...r-matt-wagner/)

He does not answer the question but what he said sounds like "No BST = no AH-1" to me, i.e. there are no plans for the Cobra at the moment.

If I read this wrong, please correct me, ED ...
Hello,

While we hope to simulate the Cobra someday (as well as the F-4E), it's not on our immediate production plan. Our current production for new aircraft is the P-47D, Mi-24, and Mosquito. Between these and supporting exiting aircraft, we are already very, very, very busy. When the guys at BST were moved back to the mothership, former BST project plans had to be revaluated. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:04 AM   #4
streakeagle

This is extremely disappointing news to me. Belsimtek not only had the best initial releases, but were almost the sole producers of the modules that I really wanted most: the UH-1, the F-86/MiG-15, F-5E, and F-15C FM upgrade. I also loved the matched pairs approach: UH-1/Mi-8, F-86/MiG-15, AH-1/Mi-24. The F-5E is almost the perfect balanced opponent for the MiG-21bis while the F-4E would be the historically correct opponent.

The F-4E and AH-1 were projects I was really looking forward to vice the umpteenth implementation of the F-16 and F-18 in PC combat flight sims. I understood that the F-4E and AH-1 got bumped down because of the F-16 and F-18... now they are bumped down because of the P-47 and Mosquito?

I was expecting an announcement about F-4E progress in a year or two... now it sounds more like it is at least 4 or 5 years away if it ever gets done at all. It figures the one aircraft I wanted more than any other that had already been showcased as "in progress" is now effectively cancelled until further notice.

I hope Heatblur picks up a Navy F-4 variant before ED gets to the F-4E. They already have decent AI for a two-seat carrier-based all-weather fighter. An F-4B/N or F-4J/S would be just as good to me as an F-4E.

The only bright side of this news is that I can put off work on building a USB F-4E throttle for my simpit. I already have the handles mounted on an axis, but I need to mount it to the console, restrict the angular movement to the correct range, and somehow implement the idle and afterburner detents.

Last edited by streakeagle; 10-20-2019 at 03:09 AM.
streakeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
Dudikoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
While we hope to simulate the Cobra someday (as well as the F-4E), it's not on our immediate production plan. Our current production for new aircraft is the P-47D, Mi-24, and Mosquito. Between these and supporting exiting aircraft, we are already very, very, very busy. When the guys at BST were moved back to the mothership, former BST project plans had to be revaluated. Sorry for any confusion.
Quote:
from the MudSpike interview: The Phantom is such a legendary aircraft that we will certainly simulate it. For now, we already have another aircraft (an eagerly awaited one) to work on after the Viper.
Just to be clear, is this a hint for another jet module which is planned to follow the F-16 or it refers to the mentioned Hind/WWII modules? Thanks.

Normally, it would be expected to refer to the F-4E, but that seemed to have been pushed back indefinitely and I don't really recall any other jet airplane mentioned by ED?
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 10-20-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
Belsimtek not only had the best initial releases, but were almost the sole producers of the modules that I really wanted most
If one reads the Wag's interview you could understand BST was indeed a part of ED and they just came back after a while. So they are still there, they were ED indeed.

I don't think F-4E is out of the table, and now BST is back with ED probably modules in general develop faster (as we saw with Falcon). Hope Phantom doesn't delay that much, many people craved for it (so do I).

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 10-20-2019 at 09:58 AM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:30 AM   #7
streakeagle

You can cut it any way you want it, but Belsimtek was on a track, and ED stopped them cold and redirected them: F-15C fm upgrade, F-5E, F/A-18, and F-16. ED is sure they are going to eventually do an F-4, but they can't even tell you when they are going to start because they aren't even sure what they are going to be doing before they can get to the F-4.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:38 AM   #8
TomOnSteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Just to be clear, is this a hint for another jet module which is planned to follow the F-16 or it refers to the mentioned Hind/WWII modules? Thanks.

Normally, it would be expected to refer to the F-4E, but that seemed to have been pushed back indefinitely and I don't really recall any other jet airplane mentioned by ED?

It's probably that AH-64D Longbow that they've been working on in complete secret (I'm joking! I too truly am curious whether that is something yet unannounced or if Wags is referring to the mi-24 HIND, which certainly is highly anticipated)

EDIT: I do remember ED asking about M1A1 Abrams experts, but that's no aircraft. And I'm not sure whether it was related to DCS World or simulator being built for a private/government organization.

Last edited by TomOnSteam; 10-21-2019 at 01:43 AM.
TomOnSteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Hello,

Thanks
That's extremly sad news indeed, especially with the F-4E which seemed to have been quite a bit into development already:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...78&postcount=1
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...29&postcount=1

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Last edited by QuiGon; 10-22-2019 at 07:19 AM.
QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #10
ebabil
Veteran

Can you at least give the Phantom to heatblur? Since they made a great job with a tandem seat multicrew plane, they can easily create a piece of art phantom. As far as i remember phantom was already close to the release of EA. Please don't delay it any more. We don't want to wait for years as we did for F-16

Youtube
Z390 / i5 9400F / Gtx1070 / 16 GB Ram / 500 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD // CH Fighterstick - MS FFB2 - TM Warthog Throttle - CH Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote