All Russian missiles stuck at 1990, no improvements since? - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #1
silent one
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 95
Default All Russian missiles stuck at 1990, no improvements since?

Since all Russian planes are stuck at 1990 for " reasons " what about the missiles? Watching a vid yesterday I was struck at how op awesome the aim9x is with it being smokeless. The 120 is vastly better than the Russian radar missiles too. Has their missile tech really just stagnated since 1990? No smokeless missiles. No improvement in guidance at all?

If we cant have the newer better planes can we at least have the newer better missiles? If we cant have hi fidelity new planes how about FC3 level fidelity new planes?

I just think were missing out on something here. It feels a little like blue flying a 1945 P51d vs red in a 1940 Bf 109E4 from the Battle of Britain. lol.

Thoughts anyone
silent one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #2
Mastiff
Veteran
 
Mastiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mars
Posts: 4,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
Since all Russian planes are stuck at 1990 for " reasons " what about the missiles? Watching a vid yesterday I was struck at how op awesome the aim9x is with it being smokeless. The 120 is vastly better than the Russian radar missiles too. Has their missile tech really just stagnated since 1990? No smokeless missiles. No improvement in guidance at all?

If we cant have the newer better planes can we at least have the newer better missiles? If we cant have hi fidelity new planes how about FC3 level fidelity new planes?

I just think were missing out on something here. It feels a little like blue flying a 1945 P51d vs red in a 1940 Bf 109E4 from the Battle of Britain. lol.

Thoughts anyone
or so they want you to think...
__________________
" any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater comeback " WF.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Sir Churchill
" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," WC, GBS.

"Asus z370 MX||i7x8700k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||EVGA SN 1300 G2 ||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||VKB,MCG\ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G19 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR
32 Samsung|| 1x9inc||
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:49 AM   #3
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
zhukov032186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,502
Default

Well, strictly speaking, the R-27 I believe is still their most commonly used BVR missile. The (R-33?) Phoenix analog is on the MiG-31, but unflyable.

Generally their AAMs have somewhat languished, I think, in RL. Most their ''missile'' attention has gone to advanced SAMs and cruise missiles. The R-77 never really saw widespread adoption, even though it's basically a decent weapon, for example.
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
Gahab141
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhukov032186 View Post
Generally their AAMs have somewhat languished, I think, in RL. Most their ''missile'' attention has gone to advanced SAMs and cruise missiles. The R-77 never really saw widespread adoption, even though it's basically a decent weapon, for example.
R-77-1s can be seen like almost every time RuAF fighters fly (except unmodernised MiG-29 and Su-27). Moreover, Su-35S can't carry R-27R/ER at all and R-77-1 is its main A2A missile

Last edited by Gahab141; 10-22-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Gahab141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
nighthawk2174
Member
 
nighthawk2174's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 375
Default

I haven't seen anything to indicate if the 77-1 is in mass production yet. There was publicly stated interest soon after the Russians moved into Syria but there has been no news since if the deal went through or not. + i'm fairly certain the su35 can carry the R/T/ER/ET. In the end though it wasn't even until 2015+ that the 77-1 may or may not have entered anything resembling large scale production.
nighthawk2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #6
Gahab141
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk2174 View Post
I haven't seen anything to indicate if the 77-1 is in mass production yet. There was publicly stated interest soon after the Russians moved into Syria but there has been no news since if the deal went through or not. + i'm fairly certain the su35 can carry the R/T/ER/ET. In the end though it wasn't even until 2015+ that the 77-1 may or may not have entered anything resembling large scale production.
Su-35S doesn't have R-27R/ER in its computer, only R-27ET. Well, you could google Su-35s pictures, but i guarantee you, you won't find any R-27R/ER attached to it

R-77-1s can be seen under Su-30SMs, Su-27SMs, Su-35s and MiG-31s like on almost any this years' photo with missiles
Gahab141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
jojyrocks
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 113
Default

I don't think the Russian have remain stagnant, At least that's what they want the others to believe.

There are other versions of R-27. There is active radar version like R-27EA and EM version. They provide the latest missiles for export.There is R-77. With active radar missiles, We can take on the Western planes easier.

With Semi active, one has to waste one missile to make the other turn away. Seems more like a waste of resources. Break away and you break lock.


So far we dont have any flyable planes that can use the active radar missiles barring Mig 29S and J-11.

Although it does seem senseless that the Naval Su-33 does not have an anti ship missile. That is a must have for naval fighter jets.
jojyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 PM   #8
Zaku
Junior Member
 
Zaku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent one View Post
Since all Russian planes are stuck at 1990 for " reasons " what about the missiles? Watching a vid yesterday I was struck at how op awesome the aim9x is with it being smokeless. The 120 is vastly better than the Russian radar missiles too. Has their missile tech really just stagnated since 1990? No smokeless missiles. No improvement in guidance at all?
There are quite a few things that have held back Russian missile development. To put them excessively simply:

Much of the missile development and production was taking place in Georgian and Ukraine, resulting in a loss of capability when the Soviet Union broke up and worsened when Russia invaded both countries.

Many stocks of missiles (such as R-77s and R-27ETs/ERs) were sold off in the 90s on the export market. The Russian fighters in Syria actually had to borrow Syrian R-77s after arriving (suggested by no apparent progress on the government trying to acquire more and their instant fielding after the Su-34 shootdown, having flown only with R-27s and R-73s between arrival and the shootdown).

Many of the overhyped missiles like the K-77 are vaporware that never or barely left the drawing board.

Tom Cooper has written about it a little bit, here's one of his articles that specifically goes into the paralysis around R-77 development and procurement: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/rus...d-ebebe8b28f4f

Last edited by Zaku; 10-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:11 AM   #9
The_Pharoah
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 538
Default

That and the ED programmers in Russia don't want to get a late night visit from the KGB (or their modern day equivalent) about somehow giving away military secrets in a game! (even though I'm fully assuming a lot of DCS sales of the hornet, viper and A10 have been to the RuAF for 'practice')
__________________
Intel i5-3570K/Asrock Z77-Extreme 4/G.Skill Ares (24GB) 1600/SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB/Seagate Barracuda 2TB/6GB GTX 1060/Coolermaster USB3.0 RC-912/Antec HCG 520/Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO/Win10
The_Pharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 02:57 AM   #10
zhukov032186
Senior Member
 
zhukov032186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fort Worth, Tx
Posts: 2,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pharoah View Post
That and the ED programmers in Russia don't want to get a late night visit from the KGB (or their modern day equivalent) about somehow giving away military secrets in a game! (even though I'm fully assuming a lot of DCS sales of the hornet, viper and A10 have been to the RuAF for 'practice')
I'm 100% certain that a video game utilising publicly accessible information and abstracted aircraft systems can't tell them anything they don't already know. It would even be useless from a 'procedures' standpoint because they don't fly them.
__________________
Zhukov attacks *FORUM USER* with Legendary Trollsword!
*FORUM USER* Constitution save roll.... Fail!
*FORUM USER* afflicted with ''Hurt Feelz'', -1 Concentration for two rounds
zhukov032186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.