[FIXED] Strange flgiht behavior - Page 12 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #111
CobaltUK

"constant/repeated corrective action" (tried both to counter the veer) is exactly what i suffer
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #112
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
I've just watched the track and I definitely wouldn't call that a 'pull to the left'.

That's exactly what I'm experiencing as well!

I've never seen any jet IRL or in DCS which perfectly maintains the centerline without tiny corrections.

With the F-16 it's usually just a tiny (right rudder) input at the beginning of the takeoff roll. Thereafter she maintains the centerline.

In your track I didn't notice any 'pull' to the left either. With a tiny correction right at the beginning she would track perfectly along the centerline.

For me a 'pull' is a continous trend to turn/yaw to the left which needs constant or repeated corrective action, which definitely isn't the case here.
You say you don't see any pull...but then say it requires a little right rudder.

So what is it doing then? What is causing it to pull, yaw, drift or whatever you want to call it, to the left?

If this is normal behavior for the F-16, then fine. We just need some input from ED saying so and stating the cause of this behavior.

As for other DCS aircraft staying on centerline, the Hornet and Tomcat do. I have posted tracks in this thread showing the Hornet staying on centerline and the F-16 not...same exact conditions. No wind, clean jet, the F-16 requires constant rudder correction to stay on centerline, other aircraft require no rudder input at all. My takeoff in the Hornet and Tomcat remain on centerline with my feet flat on the floor.
=BJM= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #113
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
1. You say you don't see any pull...but then say it requires a little right rudder. So what is it doing then? What is causing it to pull, yaw, drift or whatever you want to call it, to the left?

2. If this is normal behavior for the F-16, then fine. No wind, clean jet, the F-16 requires constant rudder correction to stay on centerline, other aircraft require no rudder input at all.
1.E.g. the F-16 not being perfectly aligned with the runway causes this problem. Compressor & turbine rotation might cause this as well.

2. Again, I've never flown any jet IRL which doesn't require constant tiny corrections. Furthermore IMO you can't compare the F-14 and the F/A-18 due to the noticeable different gear design. Twin nosewheels, more weight on the nosewheels, wider wheel track and longer wheel base etc.

That said, even the DCS F-5 with its wider track and requires constant corrections.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 01:25 AM   #114
dotChuckles

The yaw on take off is one thing but the constant roll to the left with certain symmetric stores loadouts is another. Don't want that to get lost in this debate.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:16 AM   #115
=BJM=

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotChuckles View Post
The yaw on take off is one thing but the constant roll to the left with certain symmetric stores loadouts is another. Don't want that to get lost in this debate.
Yes, two different issues here, which may or may not be related to each other.

In my opinion, both are "game breaking." It is a serious problem when you have an aircraft making uncommanded movements.

I am hoping we hear an update from ED on both issues soon.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:20 AM   #116
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by =BJM= View Post
This problem still exists after today's hotfix. I would think that an issue like this would qualify for a hotfix...for me, it definitely qualifies for making the aircraft unflyable and "game breaking."
Downloaded your left yaw takeoff trk and didn't notice anything abnormal when I took control. IMO you are simply having the wrong expectations about yaw stability.

Even if this would be/ is bug, I honestly don't know how that tiny amount of initial yaw is making the F-16 'unflyable' and 'game breaking'.

Unfortunately I can't test the left roll trk because I don't have anything but the Caucasus installed.

Just tested the A-10, slightly more left pull during the initial takeoff run and the F-15 which 'suffers' from a very slight right pull. I've never read any complaints about these two....

Last edited by bbrz; 10-22-2019 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #117
=BJM=

Quote:
Downloaded your left yaw takeoff trk and didn't notice anything abnormal when I took control. IMO you are simply having the wrong expectations about yaw stability.

Even if this would be/ is bug, I honestly don't know how that tiny amount of initial yaw is making the F-16 'unflyable' and 'game breaking'.

Unfortunately I can't test the left roll trk because I don't have anything but the Caucasus installed.
Thank you for checking. So you think this is normal behavior? The F-16 will always yaw to the left on the takeoff roll? If so, then my expectations and understanding may be a bit off.

For me, the initial yaw on takeoff is uncontrollable due to the oversensitivity I am experiencing with rudder inputs. This of course can be an issue on my end, however; I do not have any issues with rudder input on other aircraft that a bit of curve won't solve.

I was not expecting the F-16 to be this difficult to control on the ground. Again, I have no problems with any other aircraft and just wonder if it's me or the F-16.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:50 AM   #118
bbrz

Do you have the F-5 and/or the A-10 for comparison?

As mentioned before, the initial alignment is also very important. E.g. at Sukhumi the alignment isn't perfect and I doubt that the alignment will be perfect if you do your own lineup.

Especially during the initial stages of the takeoff run you should always anticipate necessary corrections to maintain the centerline.

The NWS on the DCS F-16 is very sensitive, but since you never need the rudder during flight, you can try e.g. a 50% curve for the rudder.

Last edited by bbrz; 10-22-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:01 AM   #119
=BJM=

Quote:
Do you have the F-5 and/or the A-10 for comparison?

As mentioned before, the initial alignment is also very important. E.g. at Sukhumi the alignment isn't perfect and I doubt that the alignment will be perfect if you do your own lineup.

Especially during the initial stages of the takeoff run you should always anticipate necessary corrections to maintain the centerline.

The NWS on the DCS F-16 is very sensitive, but since you never need the rudder during flight, you can try e.g. a 50% curve for the rudder.
Yes to both, as well as the F/A-18, F-14, F-86, and P-51. I have never had any problems with ground handling and the rudder...the P-51 took some practice of course but I got the hang of it. The F-16 is a mystery to me.

If alignment was an issue, I would experience this behavior in other aircraft, but I don't. I can start the mission on the runway or taxi to it and the results are the exact same and I see the left drift as I roll down the runway.

I have tried all types of curve, including 50% and nothing seems to help.

I really appreciate you trying to help and troubleshoot this though.

Last edited by =BJM=; 10-22-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #120
bbrz

I've switched from pedals back to twist grip rudder controls and on the F-16 I'm using a rather large 33% curve. Neither the A-10 nor the F-5 need such a big curve.

Just tested the F-5 and the NWS is also rather sensitive. I'm surprised that you don't have any problems with it. Are you using a curve on the F-5 rudder axis?

Last edited by bbrz; 10-22-2019 at 06:12 AM.