VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #81
RePhil

can you make it larger and move it up a bit works were it is but for this old fart its a bit low would be nice if it floated so you could move it around
RePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #82
Habu_69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePhil View Post
can you make it larger and move it up a bit works were it is but for this old fart its a bit low would be nice if it floated so you could move it around

See post #60. You realize the VR kneeboard enlarges substantially when you focus on it? that is, look at it and move your head towards it. One old fart to another.
Habu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #83
AMVI_Rider

If it feels "too low" you can raise it a little:
- raise it by increasing Y value (unit is cm, reference is your head)
- make it less horizontal by decreasing the pitch value (unit is degrees, reference is vertical)

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker
35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S
2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green
AMVI_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #84
AMVI_Rider

Version 1.1.3.11 is out
[NEW] Custom driver for Huion pen tablets
[NEW] Zoom Out function
[NEW] Configurable delay in transition from focused to un-focused mode
[NEW] Clickable page change buttons

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker
Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #85
Neon

Hey rider do you have any suggestion for good tablets for this? I have a 11 inch tablet now but it feels way to big.

Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:12 AM   #86
AMVI_Rider

For Windows tablets with pen you have little options. Modern designs are too big and I don't know of any 8" Windows tablet with pen. Older models you may find used are: Asus M80TA, Dell Venue 8 Pro, Lenovo Yoga 2. There's also a Chuwi model but I can't remember which one it is.

If you meant Pen Tablets, in the small size, you may look at:
Huion H640P (6 tablet buttons)
Huion HS64 (only 4 tablet but cheap)
Wacom Intuos S (doesn't need the custom driver, BT option)
All three models have already been tested.

After testing both the windows tablet and the pen tablet I'm staying with the pen tablet because of some factors:
- pen tablets are thinner, lighter and rougher
- pens are usually bigger (with the exception of the surface pen) and better
- touch is good, very good, but just for zoom, pan and page change. With some practice the pen tablet is good enough
- pen tablets are cheaper and available on the market in various sizes and configurations
- programmable tablet buttons
- display is useless when you wear the HMD

Generally speaking, my suggestion is that if you have to buy, then go for a pen tablet.

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #87
maxxstv

nice prog.
a i cant use mouse ingame on virt kneeboard
maxxstv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:45 AM   #88
shindawg

Hi All, some pics and thoughts from my journey’s with VRK.

First off, a big thank you to Rider the creator of this amazing piece of software and a great guy.

I went with the option of using a pen tablet for the same reasons Rider has already described,
• Size options
• Weight
• Ease of use
• Price

My aim was to have something which would be as close as possible to what you would use IRL, and for this, my foundation was an actual pilot’s kneepad strap
You can get these from most local pilot supply shops, I’ve included the product link as a starting point. Pricing is pretty good at around $40 US. In my part of the world slightly more at $60 AU
https://www.flyboys.com/kneeboards.html

The pen tablet I’ve gone with is the HS64 by Huion
https://www.huiontablet.com/huion-hs64.html
You can get some great deals on Amazon for about $40 US

The writing area dimensions of this sweet little tablet match almost perfectly with the kneeboard I’m using, with the buttons extending (in my case as a lefty) over the edge slightly. It is limited to only having 4 programmable buttons (some others have 6 or more), but for what I want it’s just perfect.

The top 2 = TAB Up/Down
The bottom 2 = PAGE Up/Down
The space left in between makes for a nice wrist stabilizing area while I write something

Now let’s assemble
You can remove the clipboard from the kneeboard strap (the one on the right), what I’ve then done is use some Command M3 picture hanging strips and applied to both the back of the clipboard and Pen Tablet
https://www.command.com/3M/en_US/com...4737318&rt=rud

Once you've joined the two parts together, you can then use the clip part of the board to fasten it in place to the kneeboard strap (pic is of the underside of the kneeboard strap)

Lastly, a couple final pics showing it all together, and one final one which was using my initial choice the XP-PEN G640S as an example of how it could look using a tablet with the buttons on the top.

XP-PEN G640S
Note:
At the time of writing this, the G640S is currently not supported by VRK, so don’t buy it

What else can I say except this application is revolutionizing the way I fly DCS in VR, both as a mission and training tool. Hope this helps people make the right decision for them.

Have fun and safe flying

shindawg

Last edited by shindawg; 09-18-2019 at 03:49 AM.
shindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #89
Gruman

Hey Rider,

This is such a great concept and execution. I think this Tool should get more attention. I think if you put this under Inputs/VR section of this forum, this should get a lot more visits.

I have some issues getting VRK Working. Two bigger issue and one small:

- The notepad area and the PDF's are wierdly distorted on my surface pro 4.I guess its the wierd aspect ratio of the Surface Pro (3:2). The distrotion is also transmitted to the server.

- I didnt see the Kneeboard ingame. I saw the kneeboard it a short time when oculus had crashed --> Showed up in SteamVR. But combined Oculus, SteamVR and DCS I couldnt find it. Tried to walk arround the cockpit to find it... no luck. Do you have to relaunch VRK after changing the position values or are they automaticly changed within VR? Can I preview the position within SteamVR without having DCS loaded?

- When I have the Surface Pro 4 in Tablet mode / portrait and go full screen, I have no way to get it back down to window mode. All the buttons dissapear. Could you add a button to get it back to window mode?

I'm not sure if strapping a hot Surface Pro 4 on my knee is a good idea. What kneeboard sized drawing tablet, which is supported by VRK, could you recommend? Doesnt have to be a cheap one. More interested in great functionality.

Many Thanks.

Best regards from Switzerland
Gruman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #90
Habu_69

@ Gruman. I use Surface Pro 3 and do not experience your issues. Use default aspect ratio and resolution. I also do not strap the thing to my leg. It rests on a flat surface at my elbow. I posted my positional settings earlier in this thread.
Habu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote