[RESOLVED]AI will ingore cruise speeds that are set in the editor - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Teschmacher

Default [RESOLVED]AI will ingore cruise speeds that are set in the editor

it seems that nobody cares that much about this, but if this is a true bug, this will ruin the entire single player experience and also may compromise the content that is created in payware campaigns.

Place an AI aircraft, anywhere .. set altitude to 25000ft, speed +300kts , create WPT 1 and add another WPT a bit farther .. (doesn't really matter where), even at the end of the map.

launch the mission and observe what happens (F2) how the AI is progressively losing the speed all the way down till minimums and ends up flying with an odd pitch / AoA angle.

for some reason, the AI will deliberately ignore the speed you have set at the FLY OVER or TURNING POINT WPT, it wll keep up flying at minimums with an odd AoA, no matter what.

as an example, whatever speed you set in the WPT box (mission editor), an il-76MD at FL300 will slow down to near stall, and will keep flying at IAS 178kts with an AoA of 10.7°

i have already tried a dozen of times different situations , different altitudes, differnt AI aircraft, i tried to check the 'GS' boxes and play around with the ETA time in the WPT box, it seems totally incoherent and the ai bot will just IGNORE the speed and the ETA you set in that WPT box in the mission editor, and this is not right at all!

this does compromise seriously the quality of any content that would be created for SP., the AI bots will not fly straight neither maintain speed as they were instructed to do so.

can someone bring an answer to this?? TIA

PS: i have this in 2.1 in Nevada & Normandy

PPS: i have noticed the same in all online servers currently running NTTR and/or Normandy, all refueling tankers and awacs are flying at minimums/low speed with odd angle of attacks, this is NOT RIGHT!

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN10 x64 / 32 Gb RAM DDR4 @ 3000mhz / i7-7820X @ 3.6ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti / all SSD Samsung EVO 860 / VIRPIL T50-Throttle & T50MC flightstick on WarBRD base / MFG Crosswind pedals / Pimax 5k+

Last edited by BIGNEWY; 09-07-2017 at 10:56 AM. Reason: TITLE
Teschmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 AM   #2
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Do you have a track or sample mission where it is occurring for you? I can't reproduce the problem with a mission I made to test it out.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
Coug4r

Noticed this as well for dynamicly spawned tankers + awacs, for some reason it also turned back to normal and that wasn't because of an update.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #4
firmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teschmacher View Post
....Place an AI aircraft, anywhere .. set altitude to 25000ft, speed +300kts , create WPT 1 and add another WPT a bit farther .. (doesn't really matter where), even at the end of the map.

launch the mission and observe what happens (F2) how the AI is progressively losing the speed all the way down till minimums and ends up flying with an odd pitch / AoA angle. ...!
I might be incorrect here so take it with a grain of salt but I think in the mission editor the speed is actually entered as TAS. At 25000 ft 300 TAS would result in aprox 200 IAS which most probably is too slow (thus the strange, high AoA).
Try to increase the speed to something like 500-600 kts. The higher the altitude the higer the speed setting should be.
F/A-18, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
Emmy

In addition to Firmek's suggestion, try worrying less about speeds and worry more about WP crossing times / Time On Target.

I've been playing with a B1 strike scenario with all AI (just a planning and execution exercise) and I was getting the same Slow Flight / Odd Attitudes / Unable To Hold Formations, etc. but I had an "A Ha!" Moment last night when I stopped locking the airspeed on each WP (after takeoff) and started locking / tweaking the time for each waypoint. If a group was showing sloppy flying, I'd take a couple minutes off the time for a given waypoint and VOILA! better airspeeds, better ability to hold altitudes and nobody dropped out of formation. The only WPs where I lock speeds are on the way back to base.

I can now get multiple units to do almost exactly what I want them to do, when I want them to do it (including the three B1s where each is a separate group). In my "sandbox" a four ship of Eagles departs ahead of three B1s and a flight of four Hornets for SEAD. The Eagles and Hornets arrive at the target at about the same time as a flight of four MiG 29s takeoff to meet the threat. The Hornets launch on the SAMs just as the MiGs come into range of the Eagles and a pretty good scuffle ensues. With every asset set to "Random" it never plays out quite the same way twice. Sometimes the Eagles get all the MiGs, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the Hornets don't get all three SA-11s and I lose a B1 to a SAM. If all three B1s get through, they shatter the hard stands at Tonapah which happens to kill four other MiGs which have just spawned to taxi out in a second wave of fighters.
I'm wearing out my F2, F5, F7, F10 and F11 keys trying to keep up with it all! It's a riot!

So try adjusting / locking your WP times instead of speeds and see if you get better results.
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #6
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

This is weird.

i´m experience this problem but not consistently.

Sometimes happens and sometimes not, with exactly the same mission, plane and speed. I restart DCS and is working, and sometimes i restart DCS and is bugged. It´s very very strange. AI planes sometimes with the same flight profile are braking to stall speed and keeping this speed all the flight plan.

Sometimes they are following the flight plan as intended. The problem is the random behaviour with the same mission.

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860-GTX 1060 KFA2- 6G RAM-1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Teschmacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esac_mirmidon View Post
This is weird.

i´m experience this problem but not consistently.

Sometimes happens and sometimes not, with exactly the same mission, plane and speed. I restart DCS and is working, and sometimes i restart DCS and is bugged. It´s very very strange. AI planes sometimes with the same flight profile are braking to stall speed and keeping this speed all the flight plan.

Sometimes they are following the flight plan as intended. The problem is the random behaviour with the same mission.

i have just realized that i'm experiencing the same inconsistency here, in the same mission and same situation! this is definitely a bug affecting the current AI flight behavior.

WIN10 x64 / 32 Gb RAM DDR4 @ 3000mhz / i7-7820X @ 3.6ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 1080 Ti / all SSD Samsung EVO 860 / VIRPIL T50-Throttle & T50MC flightstick on WarBRD base / MFG Crosswind pedals / Pimax 5k+
Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
Esac_mirmidon
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Esac_mirmidon

I think so. Because i´ve experienced this bug in the same mission. The only difference is restarting DCS.

So... Not a a Time To Wp problem, is a AI logic bug.

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860-GTX 1060 KFA2- 6G RAM-1920x1080

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4
Esac_mirmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
Teschmacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Do you have a track or sample mission where it is occurring for you? I can't reproduce the problem with a mission I made to test it out.
please, see here how that il-76m is dropping speed all the way down to 178kts at that altitude

here is the basic mission:

https://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.p...3&d=1496672692

Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Hmmm, on my end it maintains ~250kts throughout multiple tests.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote