VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 8 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #71
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
I fly VR roughly 50% of the time for immersion, but still switch back to conventional tech for the sake of much better graphics quality and resolution, often critical to flying complex/dangerous missions.
Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR?
Personally speaking, the only time I use 2D is when I’m learning a module and need to refer to documentation.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Virpil WarBRD base · Valve Index
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #72
streakeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR?
Personally speaking, the only time I use 2D is when I’m learning a module and need to refer to documentation.
The key words are "personally speaking". There are countless posts on these very forums about what graphics settings to use to keep the frame rates up to at least 45 because achieving the ideal 90 fps at a steady rate is simply impossible. People sacrifice everything from shadows to pixel shader quality trying to get smooth fps AND decent anti-aliasing without shimmering terrain.

When I play in 2D, I don't have to sacrifice anything. Graphics settings are maxed to enjoy all the new tech brought by 2.5x and the new terrain. One setting I refuse to use in all of my flight sims is icons. They absolutely kill immersion for me. DCS World notoriously has visibility issues whether it is with a distant aircraft that might easily be spotted in real life even if only as a small speck but blends into the sky or doesn't even register as a single pixel in the DCS graphics engine. The contrast between an aircraft flying over terrain is horrible, even when the aircraft's colors clash with the terrain. Never mind trying to spot ground targets. Now take that problem and throw it into a VR headset that cuts the pixels per degree of view in half or smaller than what a 1080p monitor provides.

Yes, I can fly any mission in VR, but they are no fun if the fps is low or unsteady and I can't see the enemy or distinguish them from my friends. If I turn on icons, I kill the very immersion that VR is suppose to give me in exchange for crappy graphics. Some missions/aircraft modules work fantastic in VR, others do not. It is your choice to fly most of them in VR, it is my choice to fly about 50% of them in VR. I am sure there are others who use VR less than me if at all despite having tried it. It is a personal preference.

To really make me happy, VR would have to simultaneously expand the field of view, double the pixels per degree of view, and run the graphics at full quality at a steady fps, preferably 90+. Hardware limitations alone guarantee that's not happening anytime soon even if the market support was good enough to justify developing next gen PC hardware. But market support has been lackluster. VR for PCs seems to be going the way of 3d LED TVs.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #73
tintifaxl

Quote:
Can you give us an example of this type of mission, and what it is you can’t do in VR? ... .
Anytime I need to input coords given by radio. The Enemy Within campaign is a good example: in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:02 PM   #74
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by streakeagle View Post
The key words are "personally speaking". There are countless posts on these very forums about what graphics settings to use to keep the frame rates up to at least 45 because achieving the ideal 90 fps at a steady rate is simply impossible. People sacrifice everything from shadows to pixel shader quality trying to get smooth fps AND decent anti-aliasing without shimmering terrain.

When I play in 2D, I don't have to sacrifice anything. Graphics settings are maxed to enjoy all the new tech brought by 2.5x and the new terrain. One setting I refuse to use in all of my flight sims is icons. They absolutely kill immersion for me. DCS World notoriously has visibility issues whether it is with a distant aircraft that might easily be spotted in real life even if only as a small speck but blends into the sky or doesn't even register as a single pixel in the DCS graphics engine. The contrast between an aircraft flying over terrain is horrible, even when the aircraft's colors clash with the terrain. Never mind trying to spot ground targets. Now take that problem and throw it into a VR headset that cuts the pixels per degree of view in half or smaller than what a 1080p monitor provides.

Yes, I can fly any mission in VR, but they are no fun if the fps is low or unsteady and I can't see the enemy or distinguish them from my friends. If I turn on icons, I kill the very immersion that VR is suppose to give me in exchange for crappy graphics. Some missions/aircraft modules work fantastic in VR, others do not. It is your choice to fly most of them in VR, it is my choice to fly about 50% of them in VR. I am sure there are others who use VR less than me if at all despite having tried it. It is a personal preference.

To really make me happy, VR would have to simultaneously expand the field of view, double the pixels per degree of view, and run the graphics at full quality at a steady fps, preferably 90+. Hardware limitations alone guarantee that's not happening anytime soon even if the market support was good enough to justify developing next gen PC hardware. But market support has been lackluster. VR for PCs seems to be going the way of 3d LED TVs.
Of course it’s all a personal preference. I was simply asking what you couldn’t do in VR, that’s all! Personally, I have no issue with a solid 45 fps in VR, nor the resolution that high PD gives me on my Vive Pro, but, each to his own.
Intel i7 8700K 5.0GHz · Palit RTX 2080 Ti OC Gaming Pro · ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · ThrustMaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · TM F/A-18 Hornet Stick · Virpil WarBRD base · Valve Index
Old 01-01-2019, 03:04 PM   #75
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
Anytime I need to input coords given by radio. The Enemy Within campaign is a good example: in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.
Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t you input coords in VR?
Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #76
ram0506

I think he wants to write down the coords on a sheet of paper before he enters them in his nav-system.
I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S
ram0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #77
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram0506 View Post
I think he wants to write down the coords on a sheet of paper before he enters them in his nav-system.
Ah ok, that makes sense.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #78
tintifaxl

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why can’t you input coords in VR?
Quote:
in one mission you get 3 target locations in a single radio call.
That's not doable without a scratch pad. But sometimes I don't even manage a single coord, when it's not somehow announced beforehand. Mix up 37T and 38T and you're completely borked without notes.

Those are the examples of complex missions not properly doable in VR for me.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:43 PM   #79
BigDuke6ixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
A VR knee pad would be so cool.

Last edited by BigDuke6ixx; 01-01-2019 at 09:45 PM.
BigDuke6ixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:11 AM   #80
imacken
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6ixx View Post
A VR knee pad would be so cool.
Yep, that would be excellent. How would we input to the kneepad though?

Tags
vr improvements