VR IMPROVEMENTS - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #31
Zoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webweaver40 View Post
It seems from a few comments that some believe that people don't prefer vr only because they haven't tried it.

I have the vive, rift, and odyssey. I still much prefer playing on my 4k 55" (low latency) TV with trackir.

The clarity in 2d 4k resolution overcomes the immersion in vr. And the fact that the clarity is lacking in vr (with the above named headsets) directly affects the quality of the immersion.

I'm looking forward though to trying a pimax 5k+ when I can get my hands on one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Nope. Just means there`s horses for courses and courses for horses, and don`t knock anything unless you have tried it yourself. Quiet self explanatory.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #32
webweaver40

Zoomer, My post addressed exactly what you just said. I have tried it, and I'm knocking it. Your continued lack of attention will only keep this conversation on a circular path.

webweaver40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #33
Astronut
Tester NS 430

Do you have any real world flying experience Webweaver40? It is interesting to see what is an immersion killer for one person over another.

For me, a 2D screen is a complete immersion killer. Especially true when it comes to DCS. For some, they can't get past the resolution not being 4K. For others it is SDE. Some people even complained that you have to physically look around your chair to check six.
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:55 PM   #34
Worrazen

Still for a fair equivalent, you need at least 4 times the pixels on one eye that you have total on a monitor.

So a 4K +32 inch monitor will look nice, but for VR you would need 8K per eye to actually start considering VR in every property IMO. While a 16K 32-34 monitor wouldn't probably make that of a difference at that viewing distance. The closer you get the more it matters and FPS as well.

8K Per eye, now we're at ... not even 2K per eye, and let alone HDR and WCG (ex ITU Rec.2100 gamut). Certainly I'm not saying that it may not quikcly change, however HDR/WCG depend on source content, just that can take 3-4 years for the industry.
DCS-Setup: Win10 x64 1607, 1440p@75"32, MOBO: Asus P9X79, CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 4.0GHz, GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB, 24 GB RAM @ 1333 Mhz, DCS on SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5 joystick.

Last edited by Worrazen; 12-26-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:08 PM   #35
///Rage
Veteran

I felt the same prior to the 5K+.

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron
Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron
TS: 195.201.110.22
///Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #36
Astronut
Tester NS 430

You are far too focused on resolution. The resolution is very usable right now.. it's just not as pretty as you would like it to be.. There is a lot more to a good VR experience than simply increasing the resolution.
Astronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 PM   #37
hansangb
Veteran

Quote:
Zoomer, My post addressed exactly what you just said. I have tried it, and I'm knocking it. Your continued lack of attention will only keep this conversation on a circular path.

I think he's agreeing with you. And the comment was for the other guy who hadn't tried VR and was saying it wasn't good enough.
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #38
Zoomer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
Nope. Just means there`s horses for courses and courses for horses, and don`t knock anything unless you have tried it yourself. Quiet self explanatory.
Yes and my reply was as above. You tried it and didn`t feel it was for you "'horses for courses" and the OP was knocking it before he even tried it. I thought as I said it was self explanatory, yet I am explaining it again.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #39
Zoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
I think he's agreeing with you. And the comment was for the other guy who hadn't tried VR and was saying it wasn't good enough.
Exactly
Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #40
Zoomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrazen View Post
Still for a fair equivalent, you need at least 4 times the pixels on one eye that you have total on a monitor.

So a 4K +32 inch monitor will look nice, but for VR you would need 8K per eye to actually start considering VR in every property IMO. While a 16K 32-34 monitor wouldn't probably make that of a difference at that viewing distance. The closer you get the more it matters and FPS as well.

8K Per eye, now we're at ... not even 2K per eye, and let alone HDR and WCG (ex ITU Rec.2100 gamut). Certainly I'm not saying that it may not quikcly change, however HDR/WCG depend on source content, just that can take 3-4 years for the industry.
While I`d like a HMD that delivered 8k or even 16k per eye to arrive in the next month, I`d appreciate more acquiring the GPU and software optimization to make it even possible. Until then I`d settle for 4k per eye and proper optimization. Let`s stay in the realm of the possible here and what would be perfectly usable.

Last edited by Zoomer; 12-27-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Tags
vr improvements