VR Headset Decision time - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
Darpa

Default VR Headset Decision time

It is VR headset decision time and I know many of you who use VR have been down this path and use VR for the same things I do (DCS/flight sims and driving sims mostly). So any comments appreciated and welcome. I, like most of you, want all the fundamentals - good resolution, as little SDE as possible etc. In addition my personal considerations are:
- Works with all existing SteamVR games
- No WMR based solution
- Money is not an issue
- High Quality audio

Given that I live in Canada and Index does not ship to first world countries I think that leaves me with a choice between Rift S and Cosmos. Cosmos seems to certainly have better specs but it has not been seen in the wild yet. So my choices are pre-order Cosmos, buy Rift S, or continue to wait until some real Cosmos reviews come out once it is released.
Darpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
dburne
Veteran

Well you are right, either Cosmos or Rift S.

Cosmos is new and not out in the wild yet, so no one knows if it will have some early bugs like the others have had. But it should certainly at least based on specs provide a better experience than Rift S.

Having said that, man I love my Rift S. Not the best for resolution, but better than my CV1 was, and I can run DCS on reasonably high graphics settings and get a very good experience. Don't have to lower my settings way down just to be able to not have stutters.
I do not know your system specs but that can play a large part also.

Rift S is very easy to set up, pretty much plug and play. And the dang thing just works great every time, no faffing about so I spend way more time flying than tinkering. Also tracking is great, along with the Touch Controllers.

One caveat: Audio strap is crap IMHO on Rift S. It has a headphone jack also thankfully. I use earbuds with mine and the sound is great. So if you care about good audio you will need either earbuds or headphones.

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
rrohde
Veteran

Valve Index comes to mind.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.0GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Glear: HP Reverb | Jetseat 908 | Monstertech MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.II w/ MCG PRO (center mount) | VKB Gunfighter /w SCG-R Premium (side mount)

rrohde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
Baldrick33

Your list rules out the Reverb (which I would say is the best in terms of visual quality) and the Rift_S based on the audio requirement.

The Index isn't available and the Cosmos remains an unknown, so a bit of a gamble.

Intrigued why no WMR, I think that is limiting your options given the above!
Baldrick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #5
Baldrick33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
Valve Index comes to mind.
Not in Canada it seems!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
Supmua

There are companies that will ship from USA to Canada. But the easiest way would be to go with the Rift S if you are not planning to do roomscale VR. Minimal difference in resolution, best bang for the bucks at present.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
eaglecash867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darpa View Post
It is VR headset decision time and I know many of you who use VR have been down this path and use VR for the same things I do (DCS/flight sims and driving sims mostly). So any comments appreciated and welcome. I, like most of you, want all the fundamentals - good resolution, as little SDE as possible etc. In addition my personal considerations are:
- Works with all existing SteamVR games
- No WMR based solution
- Money is not an issue
- High Quality audio

Given that I live in Canada and Index does not ship to first world countries I think that leaves me with a choice between Rift S and Cosmos. Cosmos seems to certainly have better specs but it has not been seen in the wild yet. So my choices are pre-order Cosmos, buy Rift S, or continue to wait until some real Cosmos reviews come out once it is released.
If money isn't an issue, you can always get an Xtal.
ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7, Intel i7 8700K Coffee Lake processor @4.7GHz, Corsair H105 Liquid Cooler, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB DDR4 3400 memory, MSI GTX2080Ti Gaming X Trio 11GB video card, Samsung 840PRO 256MB SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 850PRO 2TB SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb Pro, and Oculus Rift CV1.
eaglecash867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #8
Baldrick33

Hands on preview with the Cosmos:

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-co...ds-on-preview/
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Nightstorm

I was warry of WMR too. I took the plunge and ordered a Reverb. I found the set up to be simple and usage is no more involved than it is using my Rift S aside from Steam starting up.

It's superior to the Rift S and the picture and SDE are excellent.
Nightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Darpa

Some very worthwhile points made:

Don, Supuma… you have rightfully pointed out why I have just not gone directly ahead and pre-ordered the Cosmos. I know that while the specs initially turned me off the Rift S that many people, including yourselves it seems, are very happy with it for DCS. Hence my slight momentary dilemma

Baldrick… yes, a gamble indeed. In regards to WMR, I tend not to get involved in foundational technologies that I have no long term confidence in.

Eagle - Xtal, still don’t feel like I know enough for the uses I will put it to, but I wish the company all the luck in the world. I will follow closely

Re: Index not in Canada… Yes - Valve is good at software distribution but maybe not so good at hardware distribution
Darpa is offline   Reply With Quote