Feet or meters ? - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #51
Zaku

Feet/knots/nautical miles are *strongly* recommended by ICAO and the vast, VAST majority of air forces use imperial for all aviation-related purposes. In 2017, even Russian civil aviation regulations finally began complying with this.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 AM   #52
MiG21bisFishbedL

As nice as metric is (and it really is), I've had to utilize imperial my whole life in the US. I seriously wish we'd convert, but that's neither here nor there. Flying the MiG-21bis in DCS was probably the first time I really steeped myself in metric use.

I can't even describe it as being easy, it was without any effort what so ever to adapt. You fly jets by the numbers. Don't concern yourself with what the figures represent, but rather just focus on number values. If it says rotate at this speed in km/h? Then match up the numbers on your ASI. It isn't difficult. The same applies of your ASI reads in knots instead of km/h.

Plus, given the kind of money we dump into DCS (Doubtless the most expensive gaming expenditure most here have), is anyone unable to access a 4 function calculator of some stripe? And despite protests to the contrary, it'd be quite stupid to have civil aviation use one standard and the military use another. I mean, it sounds like a great way to tally up Cessna-shaped kill markers on the side of your C-17 or IL-76, but citizens do tend to complain about flaming general aviation bits falling onto their homes.

Something about "lowering property values" and "flattening my 8 year old when he was on a swingset." I don't know, I don't understand non pilots.

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Last edited by MiG21bisFishbedL; 10-22-2019 at 12:26 AM.
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #53
TaxDollarsAtWork

Thank the good lord above this uses Imperial,
The metric system is both evil, sinister and worst of all french, I want nothing to do with it.
TaxDollarsAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #54
Katj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Feet/knots/nautical miles are *strongly* recommended by ICAO and the vast, VAST majority of air forces use imperial for all aviation-related purposes. In 2017, even Russian civil aviation regulations finally began complying with this.
Have you read ICAO Annex 5?

It clearly states that SI-units (metric system) are to be used. As far as I know it is the only agreed upon international standard. The document does not, however, give the foot and nm a termination date. Although it is abundantly clear that they will be terminated at some point.

Can you tell me where ICAO strongly recommends the use of foot, knots and nm?

The metric system might be evil, but the imperial system is retarded. I'd rather be evil than retarded.

Also, the definition of the foot is 0.3048 meters, so we're all flying metric already.
Katj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:35 AM   #55
sylkhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katj View Post
The metric system might be evil, but the imperial system is retarded. I'd rather be evil than retarded.
So true

Last edited by sylkhan; 10-22-2019 at 11:39 AM.
sylkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #56
St. Agre

Quote:

It clearly states that SI-units (metric system) are to be used. As far as I know it is the only agreed upon international standard. The document does not, however, give the foot and nm a termination date. Although it is abundantly clear that they will be terminated at some point.

Also, the definition of the foot is 0.3048 meters, so we're all flying metric already.

Well, AFAIK, as someone with a PPL and the ability to google, the only countries that *actually* use metric in aviation are China, Russia, and North Korea. And Russia actually changed *from* meters *to* feet for high altitude airspace in 2017. So whatever the ICAO says, it's pretty clear the international standards are Imperial and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
St. Agre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #57
Katj

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Agre View Post
Well, AFAIK, as someone with a PPL and the ability to google, the only countries that *actually* use metric in aviation are China, Russia, and North Korea. And Russia actually changed *from* meters *to* feet for high altitude airspace in 2017. So whatever the ICAO says, it's pretty clear the international standards are Imperial and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Thanks
I know that all the world (more or less) is flying imperial and that the trend is more feet, not less.

But it's a little known fact, even in aviation circles, that ICAO has already decided to go metric. So it's worth mentioning.

The U.S., Myanmar and Liberia use the imperial system. All the rest of the world uses metric. I predict that when the U.S. in general finally caves in and goes metric, aviation will follow. That might not happen for a while, but it will happen.

P.s. Lately I've been listening to some emergency radio communications on YouTube, and it's painful to hear when the ATC asks for fuel and souls on board and the pilots answer X souls and Y kilograms of fuel. And the U.S. ATC keeps pestering the pilots to give them the fuel in pounds. The pilots might be flying half an aircraft and the ATC can't do the conversion. It's so stupid. You'd think you could just double the kilograms to get pounds and call that close enough, but no.

Last edited by Katj; 10-22-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Katj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:12 PM   #58
MiG21bisFishbedL

Quote:

Agreed upon by organizers and lawyers, sure. But, in practice? Imperial is much nicer for vertical separation for the same reason why metric is superior in every other facet of life; easy, instant math. While, it could be wise for reporting weight, the other aspects like distance, speed, and especially altitude? It's better suited.

Move MiG. For great justice. You know what you doing. Take off every MiG.
CH Combatstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Last edited by MiG21bisFishbedL; 10-22-2019 at 08:33 PM.
MiG21bisFishbedL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #59
Zaku

Quote:

This is a 41 year old document that has not been implemented and has no plan for implementation. Meanwhile, the few holdouts using metric have generally went towards imperial.
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #60
=4c=Nikola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
This is a 41 year old document that has not been implemented and has no plan for implementation. Meanwhile, the few holdouts using metric have generally went towards imperial.
The point is that ICAO nowhere strongly recommends imperial system.