VRK - a virtual reality enabled kneeboard with touch and ink support - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #31
AMVI_Rider

Version 1.1.1.04 is out

In this version I did a major overhaul of the Ink Canvas and WinTab support. Now the digitizer is not interacting with the mouse cursor that means that DCS will not loose focus due to writing in standalone mode.
Also, I completely changed the detection of Focused mode which become more responsive.

I also recorded another video that shows the operation in standalone+digitizer mode. Sorry for the quality, but I'm not a professional youtuber

Now the tool is usable (in terms of features) and I would like to take some time to stabilize it as is before adding major things.
Android project will follow if I find a proper HW. Frankly, the digitizer is so usable that I'm not using the tablet anymore.

Thank you for any trouble report.

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Ryzen 5 3600X - 32GB DD4 3200C14 Win10 64 - Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker
35" UWQHD main display + 22" MFCD/Helios display / Rift S
2x256 GB SSD - 2Tb Caviar Green
AMVI_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #32
Rymy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMVI_Rider View Post
Version 1.1.1.04 is out

In this version I did a major overhaul of the Ink Canvas and WinTab support. Now the digitizer is not interacting with the mouse cursor that means that DCS will not loose focus due to writing in standalone mode.
Also, I completely changed the detection of Focused mode which become more responsive.

I also recorded another video that shows the operation in standalone+digitizer mode. Sorry for the quality, but I'm not a professional youtuber

Now the tool is usable (in terms of features) and I would like to take some time to stabilize it as is before adding major things.
Android project will follow if I find a proper HW. Frankly, the digitizer is so usable that I'm not using the tablet anymore.

Thank you for any trouble report.
Any progress with Vive issues? I send you PM of my latests tests but i am not sure if you received that?
Rymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #33
AMVI_Rider

Not yet. Since today my full attention is to bugs and problems and yours is on top of the list.

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Hotas Warhog + Virpil T-50 base - Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals - Cougar MFCDs - Custom head tracker
Old 08-22-2019, 10:23 AM   #34
Gruman

Wow, I didnt see this topic.
This sounds awesome.
Need to read and watch every information in the lunch break.
I still have a Surface Pro 4 including Stylus laying around... (battery is weak). Would this be suitable for VRK?

Thanks

TM Warthog, VPC T-50 Base, TM TRP, PointCtrl, VRK, Jetseat SE
Gruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #35
Rymy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMVI_Rider View Post
Not yet. Since today my full attention is to bugs and problems and yours is on top of the list.
Ok. Lets say its common for HTC Vive/Pro users but i just wanted to check that you have received my PM's No rush, i have new toy VoiceAttack and Vaicom Pro to play around with for a while.
Rymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM   #36
AMVI_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruman View Post
Wow, I didnt see this topic.
This sounds awesome.
Need to read and watch every information in the lunch break.
I still have a Surface Pro 4 including Stylus laying around... (battery is weak). Would this be suitable for VRK?

Thanks
Yes, as far as you can strap it to your leg
Configure VRK in server/client, disable WinTab mode and it should operate like in the first video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymy View Post
Ok. Lets say its common for HTC Vive/Pro users but i just wanted to check that you have received my PM's No rush, i have new toy VoiceAttack and Vaicom Pro to play around with for a while.
Oh I got them, sorry for not having replied. I decided to stabilize the last release before entering so now I can focus on the matter.

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Old 08-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #37
AMVI_Rider

A little update about compatibility.

I started checking low(er) cost WinTab devices and today I got a new Huion H950P.
The active area is exactly the size needed for the kneeboard, but the tablet is bigger and not suited for everybody IMHO:

And now the bad news: their driver is quite good in terms of options for the average creative use, but the WinTab implementation is not complete enough to be used with VRK. Too bad I really liked the device at that pricepoint

I'm trying to contact their support in the hope that they have some developer support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	H950P.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	216409  

Author of DCSMP and VRK
Spoiler:
Old 08-31-2019, 03:05 AM   #38
shindawg

Hi Rider, loving the app, works great using a surface.

I did love your WinTab option more after reading about it and decided to make this the direction I would use due to the smaller footprint offered and cost (I'm In AUS). The product I chose was the X-PEN G640S, which was a good price at $45.

Unfortunately and like the Huion its severely lacking in the driver department and doesn't allow an application-defined passthrough option for the pen and tablet short cuts, which is disappointing as it does pass them through without the driver installed, but doesn't allow me to then adjust the orientation of the tablet 90deg so it sits better on my leg and of course you loose other required options to make it work as desired usign VRK

I'm currently compromising by allowing windows ink which is a driver setting I can use to control the pen and tab shortcuts. Doing this at least gives me an eraser/pen option selection on the pen itself and I can scroll using the tablet shortcuts.

by making the zoom setting in the cockpit a little more extreme it compensates for the most part not having a pinch-zoom or gestures pen capability.

I've also reached out to X-PEN support to see if they are able to include an application-defined function in the driver, but I was wondering if it would be possible to add a key functions capability to VRK?

What I mean by this, is being able to use a key combo to select a feater like gestures etc (same as you would if using an application like photoshop), as this is something I can program in the driver options.

Anyway, just thought I would pass on my findings in case anyone else was looking at the X-PEN option.

Great app and something I will continue to use more and more as it matures

Cheers
shindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:56 PM   #39
Habu_69

I can not get VRK to run on my Surface Pro 3 client. Installed fine on server PC with SteamVR for use with HP Reverb. Program installs on client Surface, but will not run. I get the little rotating circle for a few seconds, then nada. OS is Win 10 ver 1709 up to date. Uninstalled/reinstalled with no joy. Suggestions?
Habu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:25 PM   #40
Habu_69

Do I need SteamVR on client tablet??
Habu_69 is offline   Reply With Quote