Single Pass Stereo for VR Performance?

martinistripes

iRacing are currently deploying their Season 2 build. One of the new features is described below:

"Virtual Reality

– A form of nVidia’s simultaneous multi-projection, named Single Pass Stereo (SPS), has been added to help optimize VR rendering. SPS allows the Simulator to render the scene for one eye, and then GPU, via shaders and SPS, create the image for the other eye, without the Simulator needing to submit the entire scene a second time. This reduces the CPU load of the rendering thread and increases the frame rate, especially for the largest and most complex scenes when the frame rate would be lowest.

– – SPS requires a supporting nVidia GPU with a newer device driver installed. GTX1000 and GTX2000 series GPUs, with device drivers after v390 support it. The option is called “SPS” on the Graphics Options screen, and it will be enabled by default if your device driver reports that your GPU supports it. If the SPS option is disabled in the Graphics Options screen, and you have a supported GPU, try a newer device driver. "

Do we already have this in DCS World? If not, is it something that could be used in the near future? I recently bought a new laptop with an i7-9700K and a RTX 2070 thinking it would solve all my VR performance problems. How wrong was I?! I'm afraid if we wait for hardware to catch up with the VR headsets, we'll be waiting another 2 or 3 generations of video card. I'm praying something can be done in terms of clever optimisations; either with SteamVR or within DCS World. Experiencing the potential of VR has made me not want to fly in 2D anymore. At the same time, I'm unable to accept the lowered visual fidelity.

Cheers.

Valve Index | RTX 3070 Ti (Mobile) | i7-12700H @ 2.7GHz | 16GB RAM

There is an option in a option file to use a stero parser, check the VR forum there was a thread on it, it did seem to help performance, but it was also crashy and also caused artifacts.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

There is an option in a option file to use a stero parser, check the VR forum there was a thread on it, it did seem to help performance, but it was also crashy and also caused artifacts.

I use it but the benefit are not so great.

Single pass stereo should improve the fps by almost 100% (is like having a rendered 2d scene then transformed into 3d) well around 60/80% is what i get enabling it in prepar 3d.

But being an hidden feature in the config file i assume they are working on it and it will be part of the announced vr optimizations.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I changed my 1070 with a 2070, I'm satisfied with dcs performance and graphic quality in VR (Oculus Rift). I keep my graphics quite High (almost everything maxed up except Shadows and no AA, pixel density 1.2) and I have a solid 45 FPS, Just some occasional drops but game experience Is smooth and I find graphics good enough. What are the issues you are experiencing?

I changed my 1070 with a 2070, I'm satisfied with dcs performance and graphic quality in VR (Oculus Rift). I keep my graphics quite High (almost everything maxed up except Shadows and no AA, pixel density 1.2) and I have a solid 45 FPS, Just some occasional drops but game experience Is smooth and I find graphics good enough. What are the issues you are experiencing?

With the rift i had pd 1.3 and was rock solid on 45 fps with no dips in every situation.

Now i have the odyssey+ and i can’t mantain 45 in every situation also on pd 1.0 (i tried steamvr ss 140% to 180% with no different results)I don’t if it is the higher resolution or different hmd software.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Single pass stereo should improve the fps by almost 100%

umm, it should help but i think 100% is a bit optimistic.

for the same reasons that adding an extra processing thread doesn’t increase app performance by 100%.

maybe a 20% improvement is more realistic?

umm, it should help but i think 100% is a bit optimistic.

for the same reasons that adding an extra processing thread doesn’t increase app performance by 100%.

maybe a 20% improvement is more realistic?

In my testing with another engine, it usually comes somewhere in-between the two extremes. +100% would be ideal, in practice it's around +40-50% IIRC. Still pretty significant!

• 1 year later...

I am also an avid Iracer and the introduction of SPS was a huge improvement there. I am quite new to DCS and honestly I find VR performance is a joke, I am not even able to apply 4xMSAA without sacrificing all other graphic options and even down sampling my Reverb G1. And I have a half decent system with an I7 9700 and a 2080Ti. I am not saying the sim isn’t fun, but technology wise it is way behind the curve.

• 3 months later...
On 2/9/2021 at 8:54 PM, Gasebah said:

I am also an avid Iracer and the introduction of SPS was a huge improvement there. I am quite new to DCS and honestly I find VR performance is a joke, I am not even able to apply 4xMSAA without sacrificing all other graphic options and even down sampling my Reverb G1. And I have a half decent system with an I7 9700 and a 2080Ti. I am not saying the sim isn’t fun, but technology wise it is way behind the curve.

In fact, at least compared to MFS, DCS for me runs a lot better and with better graphics. In MFS i need to put the graphics on potato mode to get decent FPS.

BTW i have a 2080ti also

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

On 5/10/2021 at 8:01 PM, SLAMBORU said:

I had never heard of this till today but found this article interesting in how there are potential dangers to SPS and its unknown long term effects on depth perception.

https://iliaskapouranis.com/2020/08/13/single-pass-stereo-wrong-depth-cues-discomfort-and-potential-risks/

Personal narrative, not a study.

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52