Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

Unfortunately I see mainstream VR going the other way, for them the current PPD seems good enough and the focus for many is better FOV for more "presence" and raising the bar hardware wise means fewer customers.

Yes, this is because increasing the fov is the simplest and least expensive thing, obviously without considering the deformation of the current lenses, the CA and etc ... So they start first to sell this then slowly integrate high ppi screens and fovrendering, then I believe that unfortunately the improvement of lenses will take place as the last thing.

there seems to be technology already

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nanotech-metalenses-virtual-reality-augmented-reality,36216.html

I see that HP are touting a new headset with something like 2k * 2k resolution, implying that not all manufactures are shooting at the lower end of the market. Add in eye tracking to facilitate foveated rendering and allow us to move the pixels and things are looking rosy.

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 weeks later...
They are already on it. Using Vulkan that is.

Are they working on the engine as we speak? Or is Vulkan already implemented into the current engine? I was under the impression that DCS was on a really old outdated engine and the switch to Vulkan would be a game changer. I don't notice a difference at all since I started playing it.

Are they working on the engine as we speak? Or is Vulkan already implemented into the current engine? I was under the impression that DCS was on a really old outdated engine and the switch to Vulkan would be a game changer. I don't notice a difference at all since I started playing it.

The last update (a few months ago now) was that the engine was Vulkan capable. However the real work of migrating the shaders was starting. So again, I wouldn't expect to see it anytime (too) soon.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I never expected this thread to reach so many pages, I'm impressed.

Would be even cooler in future if there's some kind of feature that DCS would need in graphics that vulkan doesn't have, ED can simply go to the github and request changes/extension.

For something like visually-physically correct sim, thing would probably need to be done differently under the hood than traditional FPS games the industry was built upon where real physics are nonexistent.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Has the Vulkan api proven to improve VR performance in any other games/sims? I keep hearing conflicting wishful thinking. I've heard it should improve VR experience a lot, but I also hear that it's not a guarantee that it will.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Has the Vulkan api proven to improve VR performance in any other games/sims? I keep hearing conflicting wishful thinking. I've heard it should improve VR experience a lot, but I also hear that it's not a guarantee that it will.

Go read the comments about it's use in FS2.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

If we assume the ED is moving to Vulkan for reasons beyond S&Gs, then it only makes sense that 1 of 2 reasons would be logical. Either there is a performance benefit, or they want broader platform support. DCS as a whole is multi-threaded, however the excess threads are primarily being leveraged for IO operations (loading assets). D3D11 is always limited (without crazy amounts of work) to the order of operations in the main thread leaving the least amount of time for the thread to forward rendering tasks to the GPU. With Vulkan (and Dx12) the option is there for render related requests to be handled asynchronously. That means this get sent to the gpu without waiting behind everything else behind the main sim thread.

It should improve everything across the board, VR will always perform worse than a monitor as long as the workload is bigger.

Peak peformance also depends on the optimization of graphical features and shaders that were written for Vulkan or converted. Initially it is expected it may not be as optimized as a previous mature API.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 4 weeks later...
with adding Vulcan support, I suggest to retain the DirectX 11 and upgrade it to DirectX 12. Add dual rendering configuration support to allow user to switch between Vulcan or DirectX.

Vulcan vs DirectX 12:

Vulcan with deferred rendering:

my gameplay video on current release version: https://www.youtube.com/user/jokeracts :thumbup: :D

That vulkan vs dx12 benchmark video is from 2017.

3dmarkapioverhead.thumb.JPG.55f2a589ce2ee20b8de981e1d0020a81.JPG

Above are my results on the specs in sig of that same exact benchmark done today. 3dmark cost me like $5USD during a sale i think.

Vulkan is completely fine by me vs dx11 and older. I'm also fine with DX12 because I'm already using 10 and i thought i read somewhere in these forums that win7 was getting dx12 support recently, but vulkan does come with the peace of mind that it's not tied to any specific version of Windows and I fully support that.

My PC isn't built specifically for DCS, so their choice of vulkan over directx only helps in that it can be a substantial performance increase over dx11. But I have no qualms with ED doing it differently than the market trends, as in the long run, until MS abandons the idea of limiting directx versions to specific versions of windows, adoption of vulkan in the development community is honestly the more customer friendly move.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

DX12 API is now supported on Windows 7,

However Vulkan has superior object management.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Been a while since we heard something about Vulkan api. Any info about it and how it would affect performance nonvr and vr?

Give it another 2 to 5 years. Maybe 1-2 if we're *really* lucky (and you don't mind a really buggy, half-finished pre-alpha Open Alpha.)

This stuff isn't happening overnight--it's insanely effort-intensive, and ED have to spend most of their time and effort doing something that could make them enough money to stay in business :)

As for how it affects performance, well obviously it should improve it! Otherwise, why bother? :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Post from Skatezilla on Vulcan progress:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3848803#post3848803

The Last update on Vulkan is that the Base Engine was Complete, and work had started on Converting all of the Shaders and textures to the new API

Wow, looks like Vulkan might come earlier than a lot of people feared...

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Wow, looks like Vulkan might come earlier than a lot of people feared...

No one Fears Vulkan..

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

No one Fears Vulkan..

....but the Reaper, now that's a whole different story! Or should I say a different song! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

No one Fears Vulkan..

:thumbup:

nVidia has this in their GameWorks Software Suite for almost a year already as well.

Question

Does this mean there will also an update to the nVidia profile for DCS? The current nVidia profile is from April 23, 2009(coming up on 10 years). Still thinks we are on DX9 as well as Geforce Experience does not pick up DCS World being installed.

Question

Will DCS be adding nVidia Gameworks Software Suite?

The Last update on Vulkan is that the Base Engine was Complete, and work had started on Converting all of the Shaders and textures to the new API

Question

Once the Vulkan API is implemented, will DCS still use Deferred Shading or will DCS use Forward Rendering?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.9ghz w/EK Monoblock | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | SLI TitanXP w/ EK Waterblocks | 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB | Seasonic 1000w Titanium | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | TM Warthog HOTAS w/40cm Extension | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb

:thumbup:

Question

Does this mean there will also an update to the nVidia profile for DCS? The current nVidia profile is from April 23, 2009(coming up on 10 years). Still thinks we are on DX9 as well as Geforce Experience does not pick up DCS World being installed.

Question

Will DCS be adding nVidia Gameworks Software Suite?

Question

Once the Vulkan API is implemented, will DCS still use Deferred Shading or will DCS use Forward Rendering?

Happy Simming,

Monnie

Its up to nVidia to male a new profile

No DCS will not use Game Works

Likely Deferred.

• 2 weeks later...