FLOLS overlay?

Knock-Knock

Of all the things that make a carrier landing difficult, being able to see the FLOLS isn't one of them. This is just a handy tool to mitigate against the limitations of being desktop fliers.

Cheating? :lol: Gimme a break.

I agree with Warriorx. Every time I’d zoom in or make any attempt to use the FLOLS it would distract me from the actual landing. Those who say that all you have to do is “fly the ball” and not actually FLY THE PLANE, are not being totally honest. Can’t wait to actually have it on the left of my screen.

Edited by Akula
  • MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

I can see the ball fine. If you can't see the ball, maybe you are rolling out too far out from the boat. At 1 mile it is totally visible. I hope we at least have a choice to turn the overlay off

I’m just pissed that some people push a button to salute! What a bunch of cheaters. Should be able to turn that off....

Seriously, put a switch on it (and they will so relax Alicia ) and move on.

The thing that gets me is why do people give a rip what happens in somebody else’s “cockpit “.

Fly your mission your way and let them do the same. I may laugh at the super serious here but hey, ultimately its your fantasy, pretend your way and be happy. Myself, I can’t see the ball, but choose VR, I like the new overlay. My fantasy ,my choice...

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Simple because its kinda cheating.

Running the Odyssey+ and have no problem to fly the ball on 1 mile.

No it isn't.

cheat

/tʃiːt/

Learn to pronounce

verb

gerund or present participle: cheating

act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.

"

If the ball was supposed to be hard to see you might have a point, but it isn't. All this overlay does is help people see something they should be able to see anyway, but can't for whatever reason, be it hardware limitations, or even their own eye sight.

The idea that this is a cheat doesn't stand up to scrutiny - it simply doesn't fit the definition.

It is a cheat, because the visibility of the ball depends of the weather and how good you are aligned.

Once again, I have not the smallest problem to fly the ball in VR and also had never had it useing TrackIR.

You can't compare two different things.

Useing that IFLOS overlay is simple cheating because it makes something better visible. Its the same like overlay to see other planes. Which is also turned off in mp servers.

Compareing that with pushing a button to salute doesn't help anyone.

But simple solution:

Add a option to disable it serverside and everyone is satisfied.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

It is a cheat, because the visibility of the ball depends of the weather and how good you are aligned.

So basically what you're saying is this new ball on the Supercarrier is modeled better than the one on the old Stennis. You can see that ball from every angle. :)

Once again, I have not the smallest problem to fly the ball in VR and also had never had it useing TrackIR.

Useing that IFLOS overlay is simple cheating because it makes something better visible. Its the same like overlay to see other planes. Which is also turned off in mp servers.

But simple solution:

Agreed on the option button. Simple solution but riddle me this. If I use it and you don’t

, HOW does this affect you? (Simply cheating isn’t an answer as it suggests a competitive advantage.)

What part of someone else using it effects you assuming it’s optional? What am I missing?

Regards

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

But simple solution:

In poor weather you'll use ICLS, or do you consider that cheating too? If you're that badly aligned an overlay isn't going to help you either.

If you say you can't compare two different things, why are you comparing IFLOLS with seeing other planes? The former is supposed to be easy to see, the latter is not.

Sorry but your argument just doesn't stack up.

Agreed on the option button. Simple solution but riddle me this. If I use it and you don’t

, HOW does this affect you? (Simply cheating isn’t an answer as it suggests a competitive advantage.)

What part of someone else using it effects you assuming it’s optional? What am I missing?

Regards

I'm with you - of all the features in DCS one might object to, I have no idea why this is one of them.

I best throw out my descent monitor while I'm at it, just to be sure I'm not cheating :doh:

I’m just pissed that some people push a button to salute! What a bunch of cheaters. Should be able to turn that off....

Seriously, put a switch on it (and they will so relax Alicia ) and move on.

The thing that gets me is why do people give a rip what happens in somebody else’s “cockpit “.

Fly your mission your way and let them do the same. I may laugh at the super serious here but hey, ultimately its your fantasy, pretend your way and be happy. Myself, I can’t see the ball, but choose VR, I like the new overlay. My fantasy ,my choice...

No one is to blame for your VR devices having limitations. The mocking tone that you use to present your arguments shows what you really want is to impose this option on others, while others from respect simply defend that it is optional. And no, it is not realistic.

But simple solution:

There is an obvious issue where smaller monitors cant "see" the ball. As long as the overlay can be switched off i don't see the problem. Not everyone can dedicate a whole PC playing one game nor do the majority fly virtually.

How much longer, Ops? The engine’s overheating and so am I. We either stand down or blow up. Which do you want?

:pilotfly::pilotfly::pilotfly:

No one is to blame for your VR devices having limitations. The mocking tone that you use to present your arguments shows what you really want is to impose this option on others, while others from respect simply defend that it is optional. And no, it is not realistic.

It’s a game. I don’t give a rip what others do. It looks like it will assist me due to vision limitations of me and my choice of systems as well as others with same situation. Like I said (perhaps read it again?) It should be an option, completely agree! I’m not the one calling it a cheat. I’m simply amused at why some object to it being an option. I think I know the answer but want to see if someone has the honesty to answer...

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

This is one of the most immature threads I've come across in a long while.

So, all the other options in this game including map icons, visual scaling of objects, labels, rudder assists, etc are also considered cheating then?

You people calling the overlay cheating are ridiculous. Not everyone has the ability to afford a large monitor or head tracking. Some people like just making their own missions and flying single player or with one/two friends on private server.

You guys sound like the type to tell girls at the bar you're in the Navy or you're a pilot...

So, all the other options in this game including map icons, visual scaling of objects, labels, rudder assists, etc are also considered cheating then?

You people calling the overlay cheating are ridiculous. Not everyone has the ability to afford a large monitor or head tracking. Some people like just making their own missions and flying single player or with one/two friends on private server.

You guys sound like the type to tell girls at the bar you're in the Navy or you're a pilot...

THATS EXACTLY what I was getting at thank you!

Some guys hate “simple assisting “ because it makes our “professional simmers” to the outside world look just the same as everyone else (oh my!!!!)

Its a game boys, fly as you see fit and let others do the same.

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

Yes, thats all cheating for me and thats why all those things are (as possible) turned off on our servers. We wanna fly a simulation, not a bit more accurate Ace Combat.

But I never said that noboby is allowed to use it, just make the option to disable it serverside and everyone is happy, I have no problem with anyone who wanna use it in SP or on their server.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

You are ridiculous with your disrespect and your absurd comparisons. All that you mentioned in F-10 are optional in-flight aids and needed in the pre-flight or briefing. Children's arguments on your part.

If you need instrument overlays to make a landing, it's because you don't have minimal control of the plane you're flying. I have tested and landed on aircraft carriers by deliberately shutting down the HUD and have done it 70% of the time.

Edited by La Unión | Atazar

You are ridiculous with your disrespect and your absurd comparisons. All that you mentioned in F-10 are optional in-flight aids and needed in the pre-flight or briefing. Children's arguments on your part.

“Hey La Union, what were you thinking up there??” “I don’t have time to think Mav, you think, you have to reboot!!” “Well La Union, that’s a pretty big risk with a thousand dollar CPU!!”

“Maverick, Goose, get your buttS out of those flight suits and mow the damn lawn....”

Lol!

..., just make the option to disable it serverside and everyone is happy, I have no problem with anyone who wanna use it in SP or on their server.

Serverside option for this is a terrible idea, it should be on individual basis if someone wants to see it or not. Forcing it server side on all when if they have it on does not affect you in any way is bad.

I personally want it off because I use monitor and track-ir and never had problem to see the ball, but others flying in VR on same server might want it on, which I support, but if its set off they wont be able to. On the other hand if its set server side on for the VR guys, I will have it on as well which I dont want.

Yes, thats all cheating for me and thats why all those things are (as possible) turned off on our servers. We wanna fly a simulation, not a bit more accurate Ace Combat.

But I never said that noboby is allowed to use it, just make the option to disable it serverside and everyone is happy, I have no problem with anyone who wanna use it in SP or on their server.

+1

Competition or not, it should be optional on everyone's rig.

I'm not going to use it if I don't have to. I like to see things where they are supposed to be, especially in VR.

I'm sure the graphics experts on the dev team will find a way to enhance the vis and also increase the resolution of the ball movement … somewhere down the road.

Agreed 100%. :thumbup:

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Why bother commenting on a thread that you've not read through first?

I'm not getting into a forum argument or d**k-measuring with you people. I'm not talking about server rules where everyone is made the same. On multiplayer, does Blufor have assists and map icons and Redfor doesn't? No. Wouldn't that be "cheating"?

But to insinuate that people playing single player practicing carrier landings with minimal computer peripherals or limited resolution is cheating is condescending to them and may continue to be divisive and discouraging (macho ego stuff) to new players trying to learn. What I mean is, they might switch everything off because "its not a true sim if you have the ball overlay on", so then they practice bad habits rather than learning with aids and gradually turning them off once they learn with their current equipment or upgrade with new peripherals.

I know the other side of the community is looking for such a hardcore experience but im afraid your pushing a rope. Most people are flying with a hotas on a desk with some kind of headtracking landing on a non-pitching deck with 25kts down the pipe thinking how hardcore they are.

How about we call it what it is, for the sake of new people. Optional aids are there for learning. but dont call people cheaters because they arent as hardcore as you Johnny Raybans...

Edited by Strider
typos

I'm not getting into a forum argument or d**k-measuring with you people. I'm not talking about server rules where everyone is made the same. On multiplayer, does Blufor have assists and map icons and Redfor doesn't? No. Wouldn't that be "cheating"?

But to insinuate that people playing single player practicing carrier landings with minimal computer peripherals or limited resolution is cheating is condescending to them and may continue to be divisive and discouraging (macho ego stuff) to new players trying to learn. What I mean is, they might switch everything off because "its not a true sim if you have the ball overlay on", so then they practice bad habits rather than learning with aids and gradually turning them off once they learn with their current equipment or upgrade with new peripherals.

I know the other side of the community is looking for such a hardcore experience but im afraid your pushing a rope. Most people are flying with a hotas on a desk with some kind of headtracking landing on a non-pitching deck with 25kts down the pipe thinking how hardcore they are.

How about we call it what it is, for the sake of new people. Optional aids are there for learning. but dont call people cheaters because they arent as hardcore as you Johnny Raybans...

At least now you have spoken with respect. Nobody says that this option should disappear for everyone, we simply ask that it be an alternative option.