Show Me Your Landings!

Wags

Not my best. Wind from the right pushing me towards the runway axis in the base turn, requiring hella bank. I've seen JASDF fighters do this on windy days but I don't know if it's valid to USAF procedures. Probably started my turn late as well, and I always seem to reduce descent rate during the turn instead of maintaining the -5° that I want. And floated in the flare.

Payload at landing was 3A 1W x2 with TGP, HTS, and around 2300lbs fuel.

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

ILS landing with 15kts crosswind and no visibility. 

Edited by Willdass
  • Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I call this one LAWN DART.  From GS MP server after i got a minor bruise, and then fuel "disappeared":

• Like 1

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this effect from nose gear lights and raindrops in the latest MT patch

Edited by lester

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

• 2 weeks later...

Five formation landings on my dad's wing. Some banter in Norwegian but with subtitles ( for those who are interested).

• Like 10

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

• 1 month later...

did my 1st landing in it yesterday, came in way too fast and didnt get the nose wheel working till way too late, i ran off the side of the runway and it fell over!!! i cant remember the last time i crashed anything in dcs!!!!

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 11:28 AM, Nealius said:

Not my best. Wind from the right pushing me towards the runway axis in the base turn, requiring hella bank. I've seen JASDF fighters do this on windy days but I don't know if it's valid to USAF procedures. Probably started my turn late as well, and I always seem to reduce descent rate during the turn instead of maintaining the -5° that I want. And floated in the flare.

Payload at landing was 3A 1W x2 with TGP, HTS, and around 2300lbs fuel.

Sorry to be late to the party, and sorry to say it too, but I see rather your head position being off to the right side, throughout the whole pattern. Almost aligned with the right edge of the HUD, no wonder you see the whole HUD symbology being off to the right, but it has not much to do with the wind I guess...

On 6/2/2023 at 2:26 PM, Razor18 said:

Sorry to be late to the party, and sorry to say it too, but I see rather your head position being off to the right side, throughout the whole pattern. Almost aligned with the right edge of the HUD, no wonder you see the whole HUD symbology being off to the right, but it has not much to do with the wind I guess...

VR.

We brake at the beginning of the runway, it helps when multiple aircraft are doing the overhead, the first aircraft makes almost a circle (depends on weight and wind). It's a much faster landing pattern (also at 200-220 kts on downwind) so multiple pakages can land in shorter time.

Edited by Ignition

9 hours ago, Razor18 said:

I'm sorry, but I just replied to Neailus to his video, where he apparently mixed up the FPM offset due to crosswind with his own POV being off to the right all the way. Where is the relevance of your reply to that?...🤔

"VR"

He's using VR and thats why the head is not centered because its recording from the right eye. There was no crosswind.

The other part was just my opinion about the landings in general.

Edited by Ignition
  • Like 1

Yes, VR recording from the right eye. 

I need to check the mission weather settings again, but there was a very slight crosswind (maybe even tailwind) component at surface level, but DCS has a weird wind gradient from surface to 1600' where the surface winds are automatically doubled, and that 0-1600' block is where I'm making the base turn.

I suspected real procedure is for lead to break over the numbers or thereabouts but my skills aren't there yet so I extend farther down the runway.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would up the ante a little.

Performance take off to FL35, low fuel, flameout, dead stick landing back into where I took off, POV footage in VR from the PICO 4

02:07 - the vid is still encoding 4k, so if it is potato vision when you see it, it hasn't finished encoding the pretty version yet 😄

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...