Newest EDM Model Tools

Do EDM tools support 3Ds Max 2011 64bit version? I tried to export a simple cube with little success. I am using EDM plugin build 62806 as recommended in the first post with the newest model viewer.

After exporting and opening with Model Viewer I can't see anything (and the object/triangle count is at zero). Model Viewer log files shows this line:

WARNING NGMODEL: Model 'vfs:///models//model.edm' uses old format, convert please.

DEBUG NGMODEL: Loaded model vfs:///models//model.edm, size: 1160. Model has 0 render nodes, 0 connectors, 0 shell nodes, 0 properties sets, transform nodes 1, control nodes 0.

WARNING NGMODEL: Model 'model.edm' has invalid bounding box.

A warning that I am using old EDM format? When I open any of the existing EDM shapes in /Bazar/World/Shapes I don't see this warning tho.

I must be missing something simple here?

Do EDM tools support 3Ds Max 2011 64bit version? I tried to export a simple cube with little success. I am using EDM plugin build 62806 as recommended in the first post with the newest model viewer.

After exporting and opening with Model Viewer I can't see anything (and the object/triangle count is at zero). Model Viewer log files shows this line:

WARNING NGMODEL: Model 'vfs:///models//model.edm' uses old format, convert please.

DEBUG NGMODEL: Loaded model vfs:///models//model.edm, size: 1160. Model has 0 render nodes, 0 connectors, 0 shell nodes, 0 properties sets, transform nodes 1, control nodes 0.

WARNING NGMODEL: Model 'model.edm' has invalid bounding box.

A warning that I am using old EDM format? When I open any of the existing EDM shapes in /Bazar/World/Shapes I don't see this warning tho.

I must be missing something simple here?

With the release of the 1.2.1 patch, a new format of EDM was included. Use plugins AFTER 62806.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

First post updated

Everyone should now use the most recent plugins. (anything after 62806).

1.2.1 included support for the new EDM format that further optimizes the EDM format. This is why the newer batch of plugins was not usable for a while because they were developed, but there was no public update to DCS World to understand the new format, and since including support for the old EDM format did not make a lot of sense, the whole support for the old format was dropped. All those people who asked why their models were showing up invisible with plugins after 62806, this is the reason.

In a nutshell, use the newer plugins and all should be good. I believe they also contain support for 3ds max 2012. As always, I will monitor this thread for issues you all might have.

Nevada map contributer

EDM Modeling tools FAQ:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1418067&postcount=1

Seo libh a chairde is chanadh liom. Líonaigí'n oíche le greann is le spórt. Seo sláinte na gcarad atá imithe uainn. Mar cheo an tsléibhe uaine, iad imithe go deo

I've had only one problem thus far with EDMs exported with 62806. Mirrors do not appear, and they throw this error:

00053.795 ALERT   DXRENDERER: Error: Can't find precompiled shader for effect model/mirror_material.fx:DIFFUSE_UV=tc0:NORMAL_SIZE=3:TEXCOORD0_SIZE=2:ONLY_ONE_MATRIX:NO_SHADOWS=1:SIMPLE_AMBIENT=1:.
This is bug! Please report it!

It's probably an issue with my definition, but let me know if anyone else sees this. (Or if you have a solution you didn't mention to me in PM, luckybob!)

First post updated

Everyone should now use the most recent plugins. (anything after 62806).

1.2.1 included support for the new EDM format that further optimizes the EDM format. This is why the newer batch of plugins was not usable for a while because they were developed, but there was no public update to DCS World to understand the new format, and since including support for the old EDM format did not make a lot of sense, the whole support for the old format was dropped. All those people who asked why their models were showing up invisible with plugins after 62806, this is the reason.

In a nutshell, use the newer plugins and all should be good. I believe they also contain support for 3ds max 2012. As always, I will monitor this thread for issues you all might have.

Bob please more info how to create good canopy glass, mirrors.......or new document for plugin......thx.;)

thanks, whoa, the cables are animated? They arent on the Vinson....

Now to find where teh Engine Stashes the catapult Data and stuff.

Im guessing ARg Animation's dont like doing Vertex Scaling...

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

in case anyone is wondering, I had to install a build from the last week in order to open the Stock DCSW EDMs.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Ok, I've Hit a Snag.

I'm Trying to Animate My Exhaust Nozzle, But the Arg# Seems to Disregard The Animation if I goto the Vertex Sub Level?

Anyone?

I use the model viewer for skinning. How do I get it to use custom named skins? i.e.

Instead of using the default name; f15_centr.bmp

I'm using this name f15_centr_27th.bmp

Any ideas?

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

place them in a folder,

and make a description.lua with the changes to the file name.

livery = {

{"f15nose", 0 ,"f15_nose",true};

{"f15nose", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15bottom", 0 ,"f15_bottom",true};

{"f15bottom", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15centr", 0 ,"f15_centr",true};

{"f15wingl", 0 ,"f15_wing_l",true};

{"f15wingl", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15wingr", 0 ,"f15_wing_r",true};

{"f15stab", 0 ,"f15_stab_v",true};

{"f15stab", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15numbers", 0 ,"f15_numbers_AK",true};

}

countries = {"USA"}

I have done that. Tha's easy but how do I get the EDM to use it?

place them in a folder,

and make a description.lua with the changes to the file name.

livery = {

{"f15nose", 0 ,"f15_nose",true};

{"f15nose", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15bottom", 0 ,"f15_bottom",true};

{"f15bottom", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15centr", 0 ,"f15_centr",true};

{"f15wingl", 0 ,"f15_wing_l",true};

{"f15wingl", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15wingr", 0 ,"f15_wing_r",true};

{"f15stab", 0 ,"f15_stab_v",true};

{"f15stab", 3 ,"f15_decol_AK",true};

{"f15numbers", 0 ,"f15_numbers_AK",true};

}

countries = {"USA"}

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Where do you have the texture files for it at?

The true/false part of the livery table simply define if the game needs to look in a separate location for that specific file. If you change each to false and place the textures directly into the same folder it should appear as a viable livery. I believe the name used is grabbed from the folder which description.lua is inside.

If you want to put all of the textures into a rar or something like that you have to edit graphics.cfg and add the filepath for the textures you have created into the VFSTexturePaths table. Which starts on line 77

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1268545&postcount=5

Use that File, Unzip the Bat, Put in Main /DCSWorld/ Folder, Use that to open ModelViewer,

once open, load F-15.edm.

then View menu, Dialogs, show Liveries Dialog,

which brings up a box with all the object names,

scroll down to F-15C, Choose a Livery (Assuming you have it installed w/ Desc file)

The true/false part of the livery table simply define if the game needs to look in a separate location for that specific file. If you change each to false and place the textures directly into the same folder it should appear as a viable livery. I believe the name used is grabbed from the folder which description.lua is inside.

If you want to put all of the textures into a rar or something like that you have to edit graphics.cfg and add the filepath for the textures you have created into the VFSTexturePaths table. Which starts on line 77

while we are talking about Liveries, how do I format those for a 3rd Party module?

I throw 2 different liveries in 2 separate folders with des. lua files and they still dont work.

livery = {

{ Materialname?, 0, filename, true/false}?

I have in the model viewers bazar/temp textures folder

[sigpic][/sigpic]

If you still have questions, run some searches in this forum if you haven't. I know for a fact I made a post that breaks down how to add a new livery for an aircraft.

I spent the good part of an hour looking for the information. I didnt find it. But thanks for the advice Capt Obvious, I would of never known about the search function if you hadn't told me. :)

[sigpic][/sigpic]

gotta love it when people try and tell someone that runs a site to use the search function.. lol..

i found it by searching for something else, dont remember the keyword, i think it was "Model Viewer Livery" and it was a thread like 3 years old..