Ryzen build (half)

Hi guys. After waiting for the new AMD stuff to I've decided I want to upgrade from my struggling i5-4690k. I'm interested in the 3700x but haven't been keeping up with the tech stuff and want to know if I should get a X470 or X570? Would you guys be able to give me a half build (keeping psu, gpu, ssd, case etc just need need cpu, mb and ram) based on my requirements:

R7-3700X which I will keep stock so no intention to oc

No interest in pci-4

16gb ram not sure what speed

At least 8 USB ports

Also will a 620w evga gold psu be able to handle gtx 1060 6gb and all this new stuff?

Mainly getting it for fps games and il2 and Dcs.

Thanks in advance.

I'm reading 3600 mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen memory . Your power supply is fine . X470 is fine with no interest in pci-4 . Bios will prolly need to be re-flashed , but a bios usb connection and external reflash button makes that very easy .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

How can you tell that your CPU is struggling?

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb and a 4670, which is a slightly worse CPU than yours, and I think my CPU is probably good for another upgrade of the GPU. At least I wouldn't upgrade the CPU without upgrading GPU, that's for sure.

Ah great so performance wise the x470 will perform the same as a x570 just without the extra features? If that's the case I'll go with a x470 then.

DCS isn't the only game I play, but most of them show my cpu very close to 100% most of the time. Tbh it could be my motherboard it's been glitch and broken for a while but I don't see the point in buying a new older motherboard and older cpu. I may as well get something newer.

Well, I suppose it depends on how you use your stuff. If you play FPS games and want high refresh rates at "lowish" graphics settings, then I suppose that you might benefit from a faster CPU.

If I were you I would consider getting a 3600x and save some money for your next graphics card upgrade. But you know best if you will use those extra cores.

It's not possible to have too much CPU for dcs. I have my eye on the ryzen 5 3600x, bursts to 4.4 GHz (with a 10% increase in instructions per cycle over gen2) and feel that's well worth the price for dcs. I'd rather have that than more cores or a fancy mobo

Zen2 can't really handle more than 3600mhz ram very well

Whichever Mobo you pick, I'd go to the manufacturer website for ram known to run at rated speed. Maybe the newer boards aren't as picky but still

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

OK thanks guys. I know the 3600 (non x) is close to the 3700x but what's the fps difference between the 3600x and 3700x?

Also DeltaMike, how does your current cpu and gpu handle dcs? How does it run in mp and with vr if you don't mind me asking?

I have since learned of a new wrinkle when considering motherboard series . It seems that to update the bios on an older mb , say b450 or x470 , you must have a cpu installed that the "old" bios will recognize before flashing . Not a problem for upgrading AMD systems , but we Intel guys thinking of Ryzen might be better served with the x570 motherboard , which has the Ryzen 3000 bios already .

EDIT : many MSI and Asus boards can update bios without a cpu installed .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not by any stretch of the imagination, a scientific test just a quick one and I don't know if it's even stable at this moment...

Tested instant action with F-18 Nevada map Ready on Ramp without doing anything.

2700x 124 FPS

3600 165 FPS

System:

Asus C7H (X470)

Old Proc. 2700x mem. speed @3200 CL14

New Proc. 3600 mem. speed @3600 CL14

Settings.thumb.PNG.ce212e7900370348c1063620d69e9c91.PNG

Edited by Pappen

Wow . Thanks for that !

(Think you meant 3600 instead of 2600)

Edited by Svsmokey

OK thanks guys. I know the 3600 (non x) is close to the 3700x but what's the fps difference between the 3600x and 3700x?

I wouldn't expect much if any increase in fps in DCS because of how poorly it utilizes many cores. In the future, maybe. But that's a big maybe. I would expect 6 cores to be plenty for the life of the motherboard.

Some games may benefit from the extra cores right now, but you have to ask yourself how much you want to spend and on what. If you currently use a gtx 1060, that indicates to me that your budget isn't unlimited. So my suggestion to you is spend less on CPU and more on GPU. 3600 (without X) might be best value.

Have no idea what you mean. Tested with Presentmon64 and used the ingame counter...

"Presentmon 64" ? I have no idea what that is , but fear it might be corrupting your results . Those numbers do sound insane at 1440p ....

Perhaps a DCS test without would be welcomed by many (including myself) .

How can you tell that your CPU is struggling?

I have a gtx 1060 6 gb and a 4670, which is a slightly worse CPU than yours, and I think my CPU is probably good for another upgrade of the GPU. At least I wouldn't upgrade the CPU without upgrading GPU, that's for sure.

I agree. I have same CPU as OP but with GTX 1070 and it still ok with DCS. I once was on the brink to update my CPU to Ryzen but after doing my research from various webs and ytube videos I postpone my intention.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I'm probably gonna move from my 2700 to a 3900X. A potential 33% more performance in DCS should lead to more stable frames in VR. As far as the 3600 vs the 3700X, the 3700X will offer 200Mhz more in the boost clock, which will likely provide some improvement. Given my experience with a 2700 non-X, I'd say go for an X model if its in the budget. Also OC3D's review claimed that the single NVME port directly attached to the CPU gets full PCIe4.0 performance on X470. Not that it'll net much real performance in game loading DCS.

I up grade from a Ryzen 1600 to a RZ 3600x today so I let you know. Actually it was just delivered.

3000 series has much improved single core performance.

The Ryzen 1600 was a "good" upgrade from my previous i5-3750k @ 3.9GHz

I will be reusing my GA AX370-Gamang_K7 + FlareX 3200

450 or 470 makes good sense for up-to 3600/3700

3700/3700x and above MIGHT be better served by the 570 chipset. Their not as expansive as I had expected them to be.

Edited by ShadowVonChadwick

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Stumbled across a YT channel a few weeks ago which has no commentary, daily postings presenting straight forward benchmark comparisons of seemingly any & all components- combinations, options w lot of focus recently on the new AMD CPU-GPUs, Nvidia new products & Intel's existing options-I am going to suggest they do something using DCS...I have no clue if is one person or group of people but regardless the channel name is "TESTING GAMES".

I read earlier today an article on Tom's Hardware that the new AMD CPUs will be compatible with existing, older Mobos as they stated a while back (said until 2020) However, I was not clear about what was meant or what referring to when wrote ~ if use/have "a lot of things" to plug into the MOBO (particularly external devices) one should focus on the HEDT platform MOBOs... I can find a link and provide if needed. Hope this helps.

Edited by Cpt. Oscar Mike
not sure if is being posted as a reply as intended

Also DeltaMike, how does your current cpu and gpu handle dcs? How does it run in mp and with vr if you don't mind me asking?

Runs weirdly well. My CPU render times are in the low 9's on an empty map, but in the mid 20's with stutters at busy airfields. So I have enough wiggle room to dogfight and blow things up. That's with medium shadows, medium vis range. No grass or citv traffic. GPU render times pegged at 22 with no msaa and 1.2 PD. Seems to be in the same ballpark as my buddies' 1080's and 1070ti's. And the price was right -- free (it was my old mining card, paid for itself and then some)

That's with a Rift, expect Rift S would be about the same. Few more pixels but render times get pushed out to 25ms so it should wind up being close. Wouldn't want to drive more pixels than that.

The 2600 wasn't much of an upgrade over my old 1700, which I was able to overclock. Shoulda just kept the 1700 in there while I was waiting for Gen3. Which probably won't make a ton of difference for me right this minute as I'm GPU limited. May buy it anyway, cuz I haven't bought anything in like two weeks. If I do, it'll be an X cuz I have no faith it'll overclock in any meaningful fashion (meaning, higher than the single core burst speed). Guess I wouldn't mind getting rid of those last few stutters. Could turn shadows off I guess but I like em.

With DCS you're looking for single core performance, buy the big chips if you need the cores for other applications

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thanks for those results Pappen think I'll save some money and get the 3600! Thanks guys.

Also smokey, one of the Msi mb (b450 tomahawk) has bios flashback, it has a button on the back and a USB slot to load the bios into. You can update the bios without having a cpu, ram or gpu installed! Pretty cool feature.

Thanks for those results Pappen think I'll save some money and get the 3600! Thanks guys.

Also smokey, one of the Msi mb (b450 tomahawk) has bios flashback, it has a button on the back and a USB slot to load the bios into. You can update the bios without having a cpu, ram or gpu installed! Pretty cool feature.

Thanks ! Did more research last night and found several MSI boards and the Asus Crosshair series have this feature . Very nice . Have edited my original post .