HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Hey guys, new DCS player here (<90h) and aspiring VR user.

I've been doing some really deep research about the VR options, and I'm interested on both the Pimax 5K+ and the HP Reverb. However I'm not convinced yet if the vertical FOV of the HP Reverb is sufficient for not having problems identifying SAM launches on the peripheral area of the plane (let's say a SAM launch at 2 or 3 o'clock), as well as not losing situational awareness and sense of speed (I also do simracing).

So, I'd like to know your opinion on these topics, is the Reverb or even the Reverb G2 (for those who tested it) good enough in terms of FOV for situational awareness on peripheral enemy threats? All I see is a mixed opinion between being like wearing a scuba diving mask with very narrow FOV, to being something that doesn't bother, but I'd like to know how it's for DCS from real DCS users.

I have never experienced VR, so I don't really know how good or bad a "standard" 100° FOV looks like when compared to the Pimax FOV...

Would appreciate any help!

Fov is only part of the problem, the other is pixel density, and by that I mean the number of physical pixels per square millimetre of screen space, whilst the nominal fov of 110 is smaller than the pimax it does have a much higher pixel density giving it better clarity. I do find my head turning a lot, but I have never had a problem identify sams or aircraft in a dogfight etc...with the reverb... I can’t speak to the pimax as I don’t own one.

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Having had a Pimax 5K+ before a Reverb the difference in clarity between them is far more significant than the FOV in my experience.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

So, I'd like to know your opinion on these topics, is the Reverb or even the Reverb G2 (for those who tested it) good enough in terms of FOV for situational awareness on peripheral enemy threats?

I have never experienced VR, so I don't really know how good or bad a "standard" 100° FOV looks like when compared to the Pimax FOV...

I'd say as a beginner the normal FOV of 100-115 is enough. I did dream of greater fov since the first day of VR(2016), but still I have enjoyed these normal FOV VR sets very much.

There isnt really many choises as almost every VR set hase more or less the same FOV, I think Valve Index is the the one sticking out with 130 degrees from the normal ones. '

Otherwise, Pimax with around 200 degrees(194 measured?) is perhaps the future. I will get my Pimax in about two weeks after a long wait. I have read a lot during the time and some cant get the settings to produce a sharp image. I think there might be quite much settings, and tuning on the head and also, pimax software wasnt as easy to use as for example oculus.

My recomendation is to begin with a easy setup - easy use and start from that point.

Also, as you are in the DCS community - DCS needs quite much of your computer so if you go Pimax( more pixels and resolution due to the wide FOV) you probably need the best computer you can by.

I think I would recommend Reverb G2 as a good VR set for DCS - you need quite high resolution to see the instruments, gauges etc and also to detect and classify other aircrafts.

I have the Reverb "G1" and Im quite happy with the resolution and sharpness(sweet spot a bit narrow in the lenses but that is said to be fixed on G2)

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Having had a Pimax 5K+ before a Reverb the difference in clarity between them is far more significant than the FOV in my experience.

Fov is only part of the problem, the other is pixel density, and by that I mean the number of physical pixels per square millimetre of screen space, whilst the nominal fov of 110 is smaller than the pimax it does have a much higher pixel density giving it better clarity. I do find my head turning a lot, but I have never had a problem identify sams or aircraft in a dogfight etc...with the reverb... I can’t speak to the pimax as I don’t own one.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Would you say the lower FOV kills the sense of speed?

And also, did you ever faced a situation where you had to be constantly moving your head to one side and the other to keep checking your 2 and 10 o'clock looking for enemies or SAM launches, when you could do it without having to move your head on the Pimax?

Edited by williamzporto

I'd say as a beginner the normal FOV of 100-115 is enough. I did dream of greater fov since the first day of VR(2016), but still I have enjoyed these normal FOV VR sets very much.

There isnt really many choises as almost every VR set hase more or less the same FOV, I think Valve Index is the the one sticking out with 130 degrees from the normal ones. '

Otherwise, Pimax with around 200 degrees(194 measured?) is perhaps the future. I will get my Pimax in about two weeks after a long wait. I have read a lot during the time and some cant get the settings to produce a sharp image. I think there might be quite much settings, and tuning on the head and also, pimax software wasnt as easy to use as for example oculus.

My recomendation is to begin with a easy setup - easy use and start from that point.

Also, as you are in the DCS community - DCS needs quite much of your computer so if you go Pimax( more pixels and resolution due to the wide FOV) you probably need the best computer you can by.

I think I would recommend Reverb G2 as a good VR set for DCS - you need quite high resolution to see the instruments, gauges etc and also to detect and classify other aircrafts.

I have the Reverb "G1" and Im quite happy with the resolution and sharpness(sweet spot a bit narrow in the lenses but that is said to be fixed on G2)

Many thanks for the detailed reply.

I'd like to know your thoughts and impressions on your Pimax, specially considering that you already own the Reverb, so it will be a very good comparison.

My main concern with the Reverb is more with losing the situational awareness on enemy treats, specially SAM launches and sneaky enemy planes, due to the narrow FOV. It's not easy to find a decent video on YouTube showing what exactly you see and most importantly how it feels, and unfortunately I don't have a place to test it, so that's why your opinions here on the forum are so important.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Would you say the lower FOV kills the sense of speed?

And also, did you ever faced a situation where you had to be constantly moving your head to one side and the other to keep checking your 2 and 10 o'clock looking for enemies or SAM launches, when you could do it without having to move your head on the Pimax?

not used the Pimax, so i cant say but you are meant to scan regularly in any case, in anycase its not a problem im conscious of...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

You would be doing that anyway if you were a real pilot in combat. Peripheral vision is a good backup, but its no substitute for keeping your head on a swivel.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I had both as well. Chose the Reverb. Yes, I miss the FoV. But I don't miss the software (lack) of smoothness. And the Reverb clarity was much more important.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 months later...

a few months back, someone here on this thread shared some .ini files in which you could enable/disable motion vector with just a double click. this suddenly stopped working, i enable motion vector and fps still trying to jump to 90. Has something changed? how can i enable again motion vector?

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 12:33 AM, Gregkar said:

a few months back, someone here on this thread shared some .ini files in which you could enable/disable motion vector with just a double click. this suddenly stopped working, i enable motion vector and fps still trying to jump to 90. Has something changed? how can i enable again motion vector?

There is now a WMR/Graphics(Smiling ski mask) settings you can change in SteamVR. It is accessible on lower left corner of SteamVR dashboard while in VR. So first have to enable “Show Settings Tab” under “SteamVR Settings/Dashboard” before you put on the headset.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a reverb for £340 used but still under guarantee and according to the description and looking at the pictures has had very little use and looks very tidy. Anyway just wondering if someone can give me a heads up of their experience with the reverb. I’m coming from a CV1 and I was torn between this and a rift S which I could have bought brand new for a similar price but have read so much about the clarity of the reverb it convinced me to give it a go. Hoping I won’t regret the decision. 
I’m really hoping my specs can serve me ok. At the moment my CV1 is running beautifully with high graphics settings, I just find it a little blurry in cockpit and wanted to take a next step with VR. 

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x oc to 4.5ghz and a gtx 1080 ti and 32gb ddr4 ram. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 2 weeks later...

Had my reverb g1 about a week now. Was a little concerned with the performance at first but after doing my research and leaving no stone unturned this is a mighty fine headset. I’m actually achieving better frames now than I was with my CV1 mainly because I don’t need MSAA on anymore because of the resolution of the reverb. I’m seriously impressed with it and I’ve still got a 1080ti. 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

• 6 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, Wags said:

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I can’t and won’t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.

• I’m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I don’t really “do” room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.

• Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.

• I really can’t comment on the hand controllers because I don’t use them.

• Comfort was very nice and I felt very “at home”. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.

• I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,

Wags

Hey Wags. It's been a while, and I noticed there is still no native support for the HP Reverb G2 in DCS World. Will this ever happen, or is it dead?

Thanks 🙂