DCS Update Patch Notes Discussion Thread

NineLine

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running MSAA trough Nvidia inspector and while taking a screenshot DCS disregards that setting since in the sim I have it off. The settings are actually all on high except water and heatblur, no clutter, preload radius is set to max, trees visibility 100%. Anyway, everyone can check it for themselves on Gudauta. I am not bothered by that actually since you really only observe these objects from a certain distance.

As far as I know, external AA solutions have no effect in DCS with the exception of FXAA.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Patch size is 4.6 GB, Download speed 400 KB/s :cry:

why this patch is so big ???

I have got 5.2g here.

I believe the changes in terrain objects like the tree and other stuff could attribute to the size of data to download.

If you think about it, the changelog is mostly about bug fixes which would not accumulate so much data.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

As far as I know, external AA solutions have no effect in DCS with the exception of FXAA.

That's what I am using ;)...But there is an effect and it works and I use it from time to time but FXAA is a safe bet that there are no FPS issues for me. You set your Nvidia control panel option to Override application settings and choose a desired Aliasing (2,4,8) and then in the sim option you must select MSAA on to mininum 2. The thing is, it is necessary to activate MSAA within the sim so that Nvidia control panel has something to overwrite. If the MSAA option in the sim is left OFF, there will be no enforcing from Nvidia side.

Go with HTTP

Patch size is 4.6 GB, Download speed 400 KB/s :cry:

why this patch is so big ???

You can click cancel and switch to HTTP mode if torrenting is slow. I downloaded my update at 13 MB/s yesterday after receiving the same performance you did.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

In these pics as well as the tree pics, it looks like you aren’t running any MSAA. Also looks like terrain settings are turned down. Obviously they aren’t going to look very good if this is the case.

MSAA doesn't clean up the edges of transparent textures. (Which the trees use. Fences too.)

SSAA will, but as the brute force method of anti-aliasing it's incredibly wasteful and I wouldn't recommend anyone use it unless they have framerate to spare.

But here's a trick for NVidia card users. (And AMD might have an equivalent, not sure.) In the NVidia Control Panel turn Antialiasing-Transparency up. I use the full 8X and it has little if any impact on my framerate on my GTX 1050 Ti. It cleans up the edges of transparent textures and makes the trees and fences look a lot less "sparkly".

AntialiasingTransparency.png.c05a59a7cd4621bdd8e418d53aea5a49.png

Edited by AdmiralQuality

MSAA doesn't clean up the edges of transparent textures. (Which the trees use. Fences too.)

SSAA will, but as the brute force method of anti-aliasing it's incredibly wasteful and I wouldn't recommend anyone use it unless they have framerate to spare.

But here's a trick for NVidia card users. (And AMD might have an equivalent, not sure.) In the NVidia Control Panel turn Antialiasing-Transparency up. I use the full 8X and it has little if any impact on my framerate on my GTX 1050 Ti. It cleans up the edges of transparent textures and makes the trees and fences look a lot less "sparkly".

4xMSAA in DCS options and 4xSGSSAA via NV Profile Inspector gives superb image quality that surpasses the default NVCP option.

FIJJd4L.jpg

Thanks for your comment, really useful!

However, recently I was trying different graphical setups and I ended up with SSAA x1.5 as it gave me same performance as MSAA x2 and better quality with the rig I have in my signature. The monitor is 1440p 144 hz and I have performance room to spare (I have a limiter to 62 fps as more FPS causes stuttering in TrackIR) specially in the GPU side. Actually the only FPS dips I have are due to CPU bottleneck because DCS only uses 1 core.

A bit of offtopic, but one of the most demanding settings is terrain shadows. Changing from Default to Flat yields a lot of performance and I do not notice much worse graphics. I also keep my view distance to High.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

The elephant in the room: DCS World update speed.

It's time to ED improve DCS download speeds, 6 hours downloading this update and counting...

Now:

300 kb/s upload

100 kb/s download

http is a joke: 35 kb/s

Edited by Calinho

4xMSAA in DCS options and 4xSGSSAA via NV Profile Inspector gives superb image quality that surpasses the default NVCP option.

FIJJd4L.jpg

What's your resolution, Mustang ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

FIJJd4L.jpg

For VR, have you seen any impact as of such?

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

It's time to ED improve DCS download speeds, 6 hours downloading this update and counting...

Now:

300 kb/s upload

100 kb/s download

That's why you should prefer the torrent download.

For me it was about a 6 GB update, which is considerable. I was doing some other things while it downloaded so I forget exactly, but I think it took a couple of hours. Note that it might just be the internet speed at your end, there's nothing ED can do about that. And again, the whole point of the torrent mode is to spread the load off of ED's servers so, particularly when an update has just been released and demand is high, you might want to prefer that over HTTP.

DCSOBUpdate1of2.jpg.22e97375fa8cf82d798bd08248c88b73.jpg

DCSOBUpdate2of2.jpg.5a6cdbd6961477abb65b9b3d68b0986a.jpg

DCS is a 200 GB software (if you have the 4 maps) ... I'm actually amazed that it takes so little time to update :)

... compare with a Windows update, like the 1909 of November ... that can take 2 hours just installing it (the download is hard to quantify, as it tries to hide on the background while you wonder why your Internet is so slow).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

DCS is a 200 GB software (if you have the 4 maps) ... I'm actually amazed that it takes so little time to update :)

... compare with a Windows update, like the 1909 of November ... that can take 2 hours just installing it (the download is hard to quantify, as it tries to hide on the background while you wonder why your Internet is so slow).

171 GB here. (All maps, no campaigns, most planes except Gazelle, Trainers, Viggen, Harrier.)

That's why you should prefer the torrent download.

For me it was about a 6 GB update, which is considerable. I was doing some other things while it downloaded so I forget exactly, but I think it took a couple of hours. Note that it might just be the internet speed at your end, there's nothing ED can do about that. And again, the whole point of the torrent mode is to spread the load off of ED's servers so, particularly when an update has just been released and demand is high, you might want to prefer that over HTTP.

My internet is good for a third world country (50 mb/s), my torrents using bittorrent are very fast, even downloading from another country. For years, my only problem with slow speeds is DCS world updater, 2005 download experience.

I have no problem with my internet connection with regular downloads and torrents, just DCS.

Imagine download the entire 200Gb DCS, 2 months to complete :megalol:

Yesterday update patch was rather slow. I had 5.2g beside the Delta version download. My torrent peers never got pass 45.

Never spent that many hours before to download dcs update.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Well, again, in the first few hours an update comes out they're getting a huge load on their servers and the torrents don't work well as nobody else has any data yet to peer. Try waiting a day and I expect you'll have a much better experience. Or do like I did, leave it running while you do something else or while you're asleep. Again, it only took me about 2 hours in North America on a 30 Mpbs connection (ah, if only I was in the third world! ;) ) and I started the download only minutes after it was released.

(It might be that they have mirrors and/or torrent seeds for North America and your country is far enough off the beaten path that there's no route to a fast server. Don't know, just guessing.)

Edited by AdmiralQuality

Just go to the HTTP download, much faster.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Now:

300 kb/s upload

100 kb/s download

This is not a nice experience - DCS Updater 2.9.1.8 runs for 12 hours with a download speed of 4.7KB/s - South Africa on 100mb Fibre

This is not a nice experience - DCS Updater 2.9.1.8 runs for 12 hours with a download speed of 4.7KB/s - South Africa on 100mb Fibre

Have you pressed cancel and then chose HTTP download instead? The peer to peer download is garbage. When I hit cancel, and chose HTTP it took 4 minutes. I’d try it.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

I bet my plot that Windows 10 update downloads aren't any faster than Windows 7 update downloads are. And when it takes half an hour to download like less than half a megabyte, you have seen it all. You can still be hung up on a dial up and not hit your technical limits when updating Windows these days. I wonder if that would ever change... and I guess that'S the main reason for why Win 10 has the updates automated forcedly in the background. MS doesn't want us to see anymore how crappy their infrastructure is.

DCS' 20-50kb/s max on a torrent is a bless compared to that. Pressing cancel to switch over to HTTP however is absolutely useless. You can raise children in the time it takes to patch a map that way.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

WEll cant say I'm happy withthe new update ... OK I can say it...

the only thing that has me a bit pissed is that I run a mix of controllers. and with the update and the avidvisory clean and repair now my controlllers are missing some comands that I need to edit back into the controller files.. why my saved game folder input files go changed is beyond me...

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane