DCS MOD TOOLs Damage/Collision Shell Argument Nr for Buildings

A noob like me managed it to create a few static objects.. so far so good, everything worked out but.. no colliosion shell, no damage at all, the static objects are not recognized by DCSW.

So i know i need to create a Damage model (Box).

I make this public so hopefully a few newbies like me can learn some more about 3D modeling. Lets go.

I've created my simple Damage Box, same size as my object of course, try to make it fit as best as possible, pretty familiar with that but, lets go to DCS MOD TOOLs

First off, i can't find the correct argument number for Buildings? Also do i need to change TYPE to "collision_shell" or leave it as connector? Is there something else inside DCS MOD TOOLs that i need to change??:helpsmilie:

dcstool.jpg

2: I need to export my "Collision Model (Box)" as an edm file after this step above is done, correct?

3: Do i need to write a lod file myself or does the program create one automatically? what i correct at this point?

4: Then there's this question about mods like Virpils Objects. He don't have lod files at all but collision and everything is working, does he have access to a tool that i don't know yet or a tool we don't have access too?? Also official ED models like simple buildings from DCS 1.5 don't have lod files too but everything is working of course.. what i've missed here?

I might have plenty more questions but i should start somewhere.. Thanks for every answer in advance.. :smoke::holiday:

Edited by Ghostrida9
If all real wars could only be fought in DCS.

I've never used the tool

Have it as a "collision_shell"

Export it with the model

Or

Separate - but I couldn't get it to work that way

I don't know if the tool makes a lod file but it's fairly easy to make your own from another one.

LoD - Level of Detail - if you have a high poly object you need to get rid of polygons when the camera goes further away from the model.

Hope that helps.

on ma mobile

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

@joey45 thanks for your reply. I've tryed collsion_shell and also renderable collision shell. Both times 3ds max crashes when i try to export the "collsion Box" as edm. Of course it don't have a texture or material assigned to it, it's just a simple box not less not more.. also it seems like i don't need lods at all because my objects are low poly.. basic stuff for now.

So i guess your way of exporting the Collsion Shell or whatever i should call it might be the way like ED or Virpil does it. If i understand you correctly the collsion shell is also part of the original edm model of the object, meaning that there's only one object (edm) which includes the original model and also the collision "data",so i can crash against it and also put stuff on top of the object inside the ME, Of course some models do have a "destroyed model" but thats a different story for now.

All i can do is ask you if you can tell how you do it without the DCS MOD TOOLs, it would be great if you can explain it to me and to the public so we all can learn. If there's a video or something let me know but i found nothing..:helpsmilie::huh:

right click on the collision mesh > User Defined

TYPE = "collision_shell";

have the renderable mesh and collision mesh together when exporting.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

edm export tool error/crash 3ds

first off thanks @joey45

Lets get into this error thing.. It drive me nuts, we reinstalled 3ds 2016, cleared registry etc etc.

I downloaded the latest version of the edm tool.. nothing changes. I can export a edm model as long as i don't have something written that make sense inside the user defined object properties. I can render as fbx or obj with the TYPE = collison_shell; line, but fail to export as edm this way. I even tryed to reimport the obj/fbx and export as edm.. crash:furious:

Also my edm export toolbar looks weird, check the screens, no visible buttons, if i click on the field which supossed to be "Option dialog" result into a crash..same crash as when i try to export the collision_shell with the model.. :surrender:

we talk about 3ds 2016 64bit win7 GTX670 G.card by the way.

error1.jpgerror2.jpg

Uninstall the plugin. go into the plugins folder and ensure all related files are deleted too.

Back date to: edm-plugins-137679.exe, and try again.

Also, have you installed the service packs?

https://magnitude-3.com/

https://www.facebook.com/magnitude3llc

https://www.youtube.com/@magnitude_3

i9 13900K, 128GB RAM, RTX 4090, Win10Pro, 2 x 2TB SSD

i9 10980XE, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090Ti, Win10 Pro, 2 x 256GB SSD, 4 x 512GB SSD RAID 0, 6 x 4TB HDD RAID 6, 9361-8i RAID Controller

i7 4960X, 64GB RAM, GTX Titan X Black, Win10 Pro, 512GB PCIe SSD, 2 x 256GB SSD

collision not working so far

I guess the Saga continues.

the collision is still not working with my "test box", the Aircraft roll straight through and no objects placed on top.. I decided to take some screens of my test box/settings.

For clarification: the platelot1.lua screen is the lua of my test box edm, I was just to lazy to create a new model and the parkinglot need to be redone anyway.

Also i've not assigned any material to my collosion shell Box, just modified it to a editable mesh. The Collision box is also not perfectly fitting the Box model but this should not be a problem so far.

Here we go:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg

Ghostrida9, going through the same trouble as you, I found out what has been causing the crash when exporting. You need to use helper dummy's linked to your geometry in 3ds max and the user defined properties should be defined in those.

I got my models to export again with the TYPE = "collision_shell"; property assigned. Bad news is that I can still fly right through my models so the collision doesn't work. We might be one step closer now though.

Here's a link to a youtube video, although it's old, that explains using dummy helpers:

Maybe someone here can tell me if there is a way for me to see in modelviewer wether the collision mesh has actually exported with the rest of the model? Does the collision mesh need a specific name and does it need a material map? Even better, if someone could tell me if there are any additional steps to get the collision to work?

Thanks in advance!

@DrummerNL yes i know that video, what made me switch it off was the fact that the guy in the video use a tool we don't have access to: Terrain Constructor. I might watch the video again, he only type collision_shell without this ";", maybe thats the reason.

@NRG-Vampire are we talking about user defined in object properties??

Should i write: TYPE =collsiion_line or only: collsion_line or: (collsion_line) ???

honestly i can understand that it might be difficult to create a complex damage shell for an Aircraft..but buildings??

First off, let me ask some simple questions:

1: To have the collsion working i need to export the collision shell and the model in one edm file (like ED and like Virpil did it) so we got one edm file which is the model and collsion model (shell) correct?

2: do i need to write something inside the lua script about collision or the collsion shell?? I don't thing so, correct?

3: Do I need a Argument number for collsion?, I'm only talking static objects here, Building etc

Thanks

@Ghostrida9, Today I switched to 3ds Max 2017 and was able to export my models without crashing while the user defined properties were applied directly to the mesh. I also get the collision mesh to show up in modelviewer now.

Bad news is... the game seems to completely ignore the collision mesh. I can still drive / fly through the model and can not land a helicopter on it.

I tried 2 ways;

-Everything in one edm file. LODS and Collision = no collision in game.

-Geometry in one edm file, collision in a separate edm file and made a custom .lods file where I assigned both edm files... = still no collision in game.

dolly2.png

It's driving me slightly crazy right now.. :(

feel you Drummer, the problem with the crash is solved, but i got the same problem like you, DCS ignores the collision at all.

When i try TYPE = collision_line i get an error message when exporting so i guess thats also not the right way to do it. My guess so far collision_shell or renderable/collision_shell via DCS MOD TOOLs is correct, but there's a argument number and they also represent different types of damage... arghh

Honestly, can someone from @ED please help out or one from the official 3rd party developers, we only try to get a damn collsion model working to a simple static object, nothing fancy here.. :lookaround::crash:

@DrummerNL yes i know that video, what made me switch it off was the fact that the guy in the video use a tool we don't have access to: Terrain Constructor. I might watch the video again, he only type collision_shell without this ";", maybe thats the reason.

@NRG-Vampire are we talking about user defined in object properties??

Should i write: TYPE =collsiion_line or only: collsion_line or: (collsion_line) ???

honestly i can understand that it might be difficult to create a complex damage shell for an Aircraft..but buildings??

First off, let me ask some simple questions:

1: To have the collsion working i need to export the collision shell and the model in one edm file (like ED and like Virpil did it) so we got one edm file which is the model and collsion model (shell) correct?

2: do i need to write something inside the lua script about collision or the collsion shell?? I don't thing so, correct?

3: Do I need a Argument number for collsion?, I'm only talking static objects here, Building etc

Thanks

1. yes

2. no

3. no

I never use DCS TOOL for export my model from 3ds max.

If you have edm_plugin for 3ds max export on left icon and save as yourmodel.edm

3dsmax_screen.thumb.jpg.46d911ee80fcc213415eada7b71c3012.jpg

export.thumb.jpg.7f81e5d6adee0ea8ea7b920265b3acec.jpg

1. yes

2. no

3. no

I never use DCS TOOL for export my model from 3ds max.

If you have edm_plugin for 3ds max export on left icon and save as yourmodel.edm

Thanks so far Sniper.

Yes sure I use DCS TOOL to export, the problem is not that the model is not shown inside DCSW, the problem me and DrummerNL have is that the collsion is not working. All the Models are showing up perfectly, but No working Collsion! We don't know what need to be written inside the User defined panel (3DS Max )

Can you be so kind and show us a screenshoot of your User Defined Panel (Object Properties Dialog)

so we can see what you did and what you wrote to get the collsion finally working

And can you explain what those green Circles are??

Thanks for your help... you bring us closer to solve this puzzle

3dsmax_screen4.jpg

And can you explain what those green Circles are??

Those green squares are helper dummies to create the LOD's.

@SVKSniper, my models export with LOD's and, according to modelviewer, working collision shells. It's just that the game still lets me fly and drive right through the model. Today I tried to fire some rockets at my model and to my surprise the debriefing screen showed me that I somehow hit my static object. So I assume that can only mean that at least some part of my model is detecting weapon collision. Do I need to add special names or something else to make it register getting collisions from airplanes? And do I need to do anything special to make it so I can land a helicopter on my dolly/trailer without falling through it?

Could it be the hierarchy in 3ds max that needs to be specific?

To DrummerNL for me your model works correct with collision. Please forgot on DCS TOOL and export normal way! I think here is problem(DCS TOOL and collision model for static object). I rescale your model to 500% and with my vehicle collision model works perfect!

i upload for you good tutorial from Luckybob9!

Basic_LOD_Guide.pdf

Thanks Drummer, Lods, yes lower poly models for different distances..got that.

Ok, I think there's only one solution, I explain what i've done from the very beginning.

1. Start 3DS Max, go to Standard Premitives-> Box. create a simple Box

2: Go to ->Material Editor-> Assign a concrete.dds Texture to my Box

3. I go to EDM Tool and hit "Make cool", and leave as "default"

4. I create a second box (around the size of my first box) and Name it collision_shell

5.I go straight to the Object Properties of my collision_shell (Box) -> user defined and add: TYPE = "collision_shell" thats the only line inside my user defined panel, there's nothng else.

6. I go to the Green max button (top left) ->export ->export and save as an edm model

7. Then straight into DCSW Mission editor, place my Box, place my Truck on top of it... enter the game and find this.. NO COLLISION..no truck on top of the Box..

What did I have missed, where did i go wrong??:huh:

screen_180813_004220.pngscreen_180813_004312.png

What did I have missed, where did i go wrong??:huh:

▲ you do not listen :D

TYPE="renderable|collision_shell"; or TYPE="renderable|collision_line";- this will set the renderable and collision_shell flags for the node, which means the node will be rendered and checked for collisions.

sign-pic4.jpg

Thanks Drummer, Lods, yes lower poly models for different distances..got that.

5.I go straight to the Object Properties of my collision_shell (Box) -> user defined and add: TYPE = "collision_shell" thats the only line inside my user defined panel, there's nothng else.

Please check this: TYPE = "collision_shell" ; not TYPE = "collision_shell"

End on this line is " ; "

finally it worked out

@SVKSNIPER :drunk::worthy::worthy::worthy:

TYPE = "collision_shell" ;

that was it, somehow it works this time, COLLISION IS WORKING !!!!! THANK YOU A 10000 Times

what i've also did differently this time, inside 3DS Max i've selected both Objects (my Box and the Collsion Shell), then I've clicked the top green button 3DS max and Export selected models, not selected scene.

I rendered the edm as a new model called box.edm not overwrote the old model called platelot1.edm

It worked.. Thank God it worked.. Thanks SVKSNIPPER

To DrummerNL for me your model works correct with collision. Please forgot on DCS TOOL and export normal way! I think here is problem(DCS TOOL and collision model for static object). I rescale your model to 500% and with my vehicle collision model works perfect!

i upload for you good tutorial from Luckybob9!

Thanks, so I've been doing it right the whole time but my model seems to be too small for the collision model to work... (I don't use DCS TOOL, I just had the same problem as Ghostrida with the collision.)

You say you scaled the model 500%, I just tried that and now my collision works so thank you for that. It's just that I now have a huge helicopter trailer that is nowhere near the size of the real thing. Does this mean collision models don't work for small objects?

The max file I sent you has the correct size, did you get the collision to work without scaling it 500%?

Finally got the collision to work, turns out the collision mesh has to be quite large to work. I fixed this by adding a few meters of collision mesh under ground level. Now everything works and I can start creating some more detailed models and textures. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

dollycollision.png