Id like to see DCS more modular

Hammer1-1

Modular as in:

A) separate installations for mission designing and actual gameplay -to cut down loading times and decrease disc usage size/download size

B) ability to install terrains/modules on different hard drives

C) outside DCS ability to map controls to joysticks similar to the external app skinners use to update/create skins

D) the ability to store in cloud server DCS settings and joystick profiles

A few things I can think of that Id like but not on the top of my head at the moment, but these above is an idea of what Id like to see in DCS. All in all, DCS is now in excess (with the entire DCS library in its entirety) over 150gbs. Saving the terrain, thats still over 50 gbs of data that has to be processed by the computer to load the sim in large maps, and a good portion of that resides in both VRAM and RAM together. Even on the best of gaming computers, it takes about 3-5 minutes to load up a map online on small mission maps.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Modular as in:

A) separate installations for mission designing and actual gameplay -to cut down loading times and decrease disc usage size/download size

Literally all the disc space is the default map and 3D models/skins. This would cause nothing but headaches.

B) ability to install terrains/modules on different hard drives

I thought this was already possible with links.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I thought this was already possible with links.

Is it?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I was under the impression that it was but I've never tried it. Perhaps try searching the forum for a similar question.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Ive read a post recently where ppl wish it were. Im certain its not.

My wallpaper and skins

Is it?

Search for Hard Symbolics Links, I use it on several modules.

It works pretty well even when updating because its created on OS level.

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

It definitely is possible to put sym links in, and spead the terrains out.

Why you'd want to bother rather than just buying a bigger SSD is another question.

Its not a matter of buying bigger, its a matter of what am I going to do with them all. This aint the only flight sim I have, and this isnt even the biggest when it comes to 3rd party addons. With that said, it would be nice if the method was built in already to be able to do so without needing to google through thread after thread after thread just to figure out how to do it.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins