New install

Thinking about a new OS install, but dreading the huge download. I've seen conversations on moving DCS World from one drive to another, just by copy/paste. Is something like that possible, with a new install?

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Its possible with every game today.

Just copy paste it, but the shortcut will need to be directed to the new folder, otherwise it wont work, right click on it and properties, Shortcut tab and select new Target location and Start in location.

Thanks Furiz, I thought I could maybe copy DCS World & saved games/DCS folders to my other ssd, then do a fresh win10 install, & paste it back. But there needs to entries in the registry etc., right? :unsure:

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K, Win10 64, 32 GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe M.2, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti, Realteus ForceFeel Gaming Pad, HP Reverb G2

Since DCS doesn't use registry keys for DRM authentication anymore (at least for aircraft and maps, I don't know abou campaigns), copying it should work.

Loosing convenient Windows shortcuts for DCS update and repair functions will be a pity, unless you know how recreate them on new system yourself, or use Skatezilla's GUI utility for updating and maintenance of your DCS.

Mind you, your control settings will not work immediately, because new Windows will assign new USB IDs to your controllers and thus old control files from Saved Games will not be recognized. You will rather have to "load" old profiles for each controller one by one in control settings menu, but that's up to half an hour job at most, depending on how many modules you own.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks Furiz, I thought I could maybe copy DCS World & saved games/DCS folders to my other ssd, then do a fresh win10 install, & paste it back. But there needs to entries in the registry etc., right? :unsure:

You don't have to edit anything in the registry, just copy paste, but for shortcuts to work you will need to edit their paths.

Since they will be looking at the wrong location.