Ground Force issues

Thunderwve

Yeah, obviously its an early beta, and there's still some major bugs in there.

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

* Shooting smoke pods as an JTAC, I noticed that I have unlimited smoke with ultra precision. Is shooting smoke getting enhanced in future releases?
I hope so. Make it less precise, appear slower (it appears instantly right now) and add a reload delay.

* Forests do not conceal ground forces and the AI begins shooting with missiles from T80s through them. Currently, there is no way to advance under concealment. Will forests be sight/missile blocker in future releases?
Are armored units supposed to be able to drive through (dense) forests in the first place? Regardless of this, forests (as well as other objects like buildings) should block the line of sight. Visibility could be determined using the object's existing collision box.

Never mind the forests, I've taken to hiding behind houses and popping out, waiting 5 seconds, popping back in, waiting in order to defeat those damned missiles and still they flatten the house in front of me and i'm sitting naked!

I'd just love the AI to miss every now and then :)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Invisible shouldn't even be an option in this type of game and should be removed. If a JTAC is in a position where he may come under fire before you have the chance to control him, then the JTAC isn't in a proper position. Let's go with realism and a challenge here. Place the JTAC forward, but still within cover and let the player dictate where he'll call fire from. Why not? There's no reason that the JTAC already has to be in position at the start of the battle. Let us do the work.

I know this is beta and I'm ok with bugs. But there's a lot of conceptual issues that need fixing. Assuming the intent here is realism. I do look forward to seeing the updates though, thanks.

Invisible shouldn't even be an option in this type of game and should be removed. If a JTAC is in a position where he may come under fire before you have the chance to control him, then the JTAC isn't in a proper position. Let's go with realism and a challenge here. Place the JTAC forward, but still within cover and let the player dictate where he'll call fire from. Why not? There's no reason that the JTAC already has to be in position at the start of the battle. Let us do the work.

I know this is beta and I'm ok with bugs. But there's a lot of conceptual issues that need fixing. Assuming the intent here is realism. I do look forward to seeing the updates though, thanks.

The option stays - it is up to the mission designer to use it or not.

Nate

It presents too much of a fault in the realism, and thus outcome of situations and even battles to stay - let alone be utilized in default missions. How can I even move my JTAC without feeling as though I'm cheating or have an unrealistic advantage over the battlefield? It'd be different if there was no other viable options, but there is.

The 'invisible' option is very useful. It is also an 'option' just like 'autorudder' in the P-51. If you don't like it, don't use it and/or don't play with people who do.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

It presents too much of a fault in the realism, and thus outcome of situations and even battles to stay - let alone be utilized in default missions. How can I even move my JTAC without feeling as though I'm cheating or have an unrealistic advantage over the battlefield? It'd be different if there was no other viable options, but there is.

It is still no reason to remove the option from the sim. Again it is up to a mission designer to create whatever he wants.

As for the Included missions in CA - you can leave feedback here -> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=91342

Nate

• ED Team

A JTAC would be under cover and camouflaged. The only way to simulate this is to make him invisible.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.

A JTAC would be under cover and camouflaged. The only way to simulate this is to make him invisible.

To the point that they can move into plain sight and not be fired upon? Also, they're not perfectly concealed all the time and aren't immune to taking fire. Sometimes they're even embedded with frontline units.

But, anyway it's fine. I don't want to derail the thread. Are there stock scenarios where the JTAC isn't invisible?

thx

Edited by Tac

Regarding the T-80's and M1's.

Have you tried the same scenario at night? The U.S. tends to use it's advantage in thermal and other night vision optics with it's armored vehicles.

Also, don't forget to look at the terrain, find a way to close the distance with your M1's, but keep the T-80's about 3000m away from the M1's. The advantage of the M1's Sabot round is that it traveles faster than the Refleks guided round of the T-80. So even if they see you at 3km and fire first, you and the other M1's actually have time to pinpoint them and knock them out, you'll see the Refleks round either slam into the ground short or explode in air when you hit them.

There are still some issues to contend with, but this is a beta, things will get worked out the more we all play and find problems for the team to work on.

*Edit* Tried a lot of scenarios with T-80's vs. M1A2 under different weather and times of day. The M1's do always lose against the T-80's at 3km, even when they get to fire first on the T-80's, day or night under good weather conditions. And both T-80's and M1's in stormy weather, while still able to clearly see each other will not engage in combat. Both sides are using "Excellent" crew settings.

Edited by Invader ZIM

To the point that they can move into plain sight and not be fired upon?

I think more so than ever (with combined arms) things like this require a bit of imagination on our parts as players.

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I want all this stuff to be perfect, but it's going to take a lot of time. All things considered I'd say that CA brings some amazing stuff in it's current state, even forgetting about the 1st person control of JTAC and other units

System specifications: Computer, joystick, DCS world, Beer

• ED Team
You can disable the invisibility as shown in the attached pic.

Nate

I was going to say, why not have the unit invisible while stationary and in "cover" and if a move is triggered, then have another trigger removing the invisible. While the unit moves it could be seen and engaged, and perhaps when it gets to the next waypoint, if there is "cover" it could be set to go invixible once again...

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

*Edit* Tried a lot of scenarios with T-80's vs. M1A2 under different weather and times of day. The M1's do always lose against the T-80's at 3km, even when they get to fire first on the T-80's, day or night under good weather conditions. And both T-80's and M1's in stormy weather, while still able to clearly see each other will not engage in combat. Both sides are using "Excellent" crew settings.

I was playing with a new mission last night, I had a platoon of T-80s moving towards an Airfield, I was just testing movement and forgot I had an M1 rolling to the same location. Well the M1 caught them on a bridge, killed the lead tank and the T-80s were rendered stupid and the M1 picked all 4 T-80s off. :)

How do you kill T-80s? On a bridge :music_whistling:

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Maybe I could offer a solution. Make the unit invisible only when the unit is not moving. Or going very slowly. This can be done with triggers easy enough. You could get really fancy and add a moving trigger zone over the unit with a 1000 meter radius. If any enemy units enter that area unit is detected.

It can be done.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 years later...