What Module Aircraft is your Hardest to Land ?

Igor4U

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F-5E is a breeze, IMO.

For fixed-wing jets, the MiG-21 and MiG-29 are the most challenging.

Helicopters are in a class by themselves.

F5 is no breeze mate, 3 point landings don't count. Land the Tiger main wheels first then use plane as an airbrake, then nose wheel down. Pretty hard actually in the F 5.

For Me the Dora in props followed closely by the Spit. In Jets, I'd say the Mig-29 is a pig to land, everything else seems easy enough given the correct approach & airspeed. The Albatross is difficult to persuade to stop flying however - it is very floaty. Choppers, the Mi8 is probably the hardest to do if you are in a hurry.

mi-8

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life. So, all of them?

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

find narrow tracked planes to be the hardest, as any side loading on touchdown causes the entire aircraft to want to spin out of control, which makes any crosswind situation a pain. So I think Bf109 is the hardest, followed by the spitfire, followed by Mig-21. The high landing speed of the Mig-21 and the tires that seemed to be made of party balloon rubber makes landing hard in this thing.

Helicopters, I find Mi-8 the hardest as it seems the one easiest to fall into the vortex ring state.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

As I don't have any other warbirds or taildraggers, and have never used pedals (and since early 2018 I don't even a stick :cry:) the P/TF-51D gets the vote. Mind you the MiG-21 when I used to fly used to be a bit of a pain and the Mil Mi-8 used to love VRS

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I fly the A-10C, F-15C, F/A-18C, Su-25A(from time to time) F-5E and the UH-1 and Mi-8 (still learning the Mi-8).

I know most of these are hardly any challenge, but I find the Hornet the hardest to land, believe it or not.... it is just too weird for me, so sensitive, you give it a little throttle and it is all over the place. It drops speed suddenly and a it regains it even faster when trying to correct it..... maybe I am just not used to this.

On the chopper side... the huey used to be somewhat of a challenge, but never anything too difficult, now it is a breeze for me, but the Mi-8.... oh man....

I mean It's not even the VRS, because I can't get it to VRS, the thing just doesn't want to drop altitude for me in level flight, you either have to drop the collective to the maximum or even the slightest increase and it will fly level or climb, that said I am still mastering all its features

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

• 4 months later...

Hard: MiG-29 ("Lamborgini") followed by MiG-21.

Easy: All static stable designs or true FBW, L-39 Su-25, Su-27, F-15...

PC homebuild Win10 64bit, ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING, Ryzen 5 2600X 3,8GHz, 2x8GB DDR4, ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 Ti GAMING, Hotas Warthog + TM pedals, MFDs Cougar, TrackIR 4.

For me, the hardest is the Bf-109 and the Helicopters (all of them) :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Depends on weather and cross-winds.

Right now it is MIG-29 (PFM). Due to its tight VV, crosswind, and GW gear restrictions.

AV-8B/NA unless I practice constantly. It is most difficult to land conventionally, without VTOL, in crosswind. It is NOT difficult at all to land on a ship that is moving 15 knots or faster. For low visibility, AV-8B is far easier and safer to land, then non-VTOL, because an approach can be made at very speed.

Mig-21bis is not really difficult to land VFR. But one must be cognizant landing GW , speed, and crosswinds. Mig-21 is, sadly, difficult to land in low visibility IMC, using Soviet RSMB, using Soviet ILS as primary landing aid.

On other hand, easiest DCS level aircraft to land is Mirage 2000C, A-10C, and F-5E. All three are easy to fly , fly in formation, and land. A-10C is easiest to land in low viz IMC. IMHO, with all respect to E-101, L-39, and former Hawk developers, F-5E is best detailed DCS module for training of flying and fighting in DCS. Aircraft is fast, maneuverable,stable, highly resistant to spin and stall. Plenty of buffet warning prior to stall. Tough gear. Straightforward fire control, that makes transition to sophisticated FC in A-10C, M2KC, and AV-8B/NA easier. For a DCS beginner, not counting FC3 and community mods, F-5E is most useful. Mirage is most useful for training in-flight refueling for drogue-probe system. AV-8B in-flight refueling is , by far, the most difficult task in DCS.

With DCS helicopters, I don't have MI-8, the most challenging to fly and land, for me, is Gazelle. Easiest is KA-50. UH-1H, is neither easy or too difficult, with practice its OK. UH-1H is IMHO the beginner helicopter module, for DCS helicopters. Gazelle is FANTASTIC module, I love it. But its like giving 1985 Porsche 911 Turbo, or 1994 Ferrari F355 , with all traction control turned off, to a beginner driving student.

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

(...) I mean It's not even the VRS, because I can't get it to VRS, the thing just doesn't want to drop altitude for me in level flight, you either have to drop the collective to the maximum or even the slightest increase and it will fly level or climb, that said I am still mastering all its features

There has to be something the matter with your controls set up.

Cheers.

Mig 19 needs to be remastered since updated flight modelling a while back, if you don't fly it constantly it catches you off guard, requires a lower, smoother approach to the runway than most.

Mi8 is a home wrecker at times too.

Spitfire is the same as mig, when i practice it is a piece of piss but without practice and boing-boing-boing...

Definitely the Polikarpov I-16 aka "Rata" or "Mosca". This aircraft has no trim feature at all. When the gear and flaps are down she wants to soar into the sky and you have to push the stick hard all the time. And when you have touched down you have to work hard to avoid a pirouette or worse. Even taxying is difficult. Take-off is difficult too as rudder priority kicks in very quickly. If you can manage take-off and landing with the I-16, you will not find any of the warbirds difficult.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

For me it's the F-18. I've basically given up on it as I don't think I'll ever complete a carrier landing successfully. I find it impossible to find a throttle setting that will maintain a steady rate of decline and it seems hyper-sensitive to throttle changes so I end up zooming up and down like a possessed roller coaster.

For me it's the F-18. I've basically given up on it as I don't think I'll ever complete a carrier landing successfully. I find it impossible to find a throttle setting that will maintain a steady rate of decline and it seems hyper-sensitive to throttle changes so I end up zooming up and down like a possessed roller coaster.

I agree, the F/A-18C is very challenging, and due to its enormous drag in the landing configuration plus the delayed response of engine thrust. Most of my landings on airbases are not beautiful but I rarely crash. I have not even tried carrier landings yet.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The Spit and 190, not so much the touch down, it's the landing rollout, I cannot keep them straight.

Mig-21 is a bit tricky because you cant see well over the nose in the descent and it's a high power setting in landing config and fairly fast feeling.

The rest of them are straight forwards and well behaved, only complicated by carrier landings, which are harder because you have 15 seconds to be perfect rather than several miles straight in and generally went wrong in the preparation part.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *