Spitfire HD Gunsight and Light Tint Armoured Glass

Grajo

Small Mod with a reworked MK-II reticle. Double resolution image.

Updated after 312_JS suggestion (vertical line circle cut).

Removed the Glass tint feature. Even if now can be easily replaced again (thanks ED for giving us this feature back) :]. The glass tint we have right now by default is "good enough"

and this way the mod is Multiplayer - Integrity Check Passed!:smilewink:

HR-Grajo-Mk-II-HD-Gunsight-Comparison-v04.jpg

HR-Grajo-Mk-II-HD-Mod-v04.jpg

Multiplayer friendly - Integrity Check Passed. OvGME / JSGME compatible.

DOWNLOAD Here (updated to v04):

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3301720/

Edited by Grajo
  • Like 1

I was trying to find some balance between the references I found in the internet and the original DCS reticle. Here my references:

MK-_II_Examples.jpg

I would like to make the reticle a bit more orange but I do not find where to tweak the color. Still, I am quite happy with the result so far, I really like flying the Spitfire and I have been always quite "disappointed" with the vanilla reticle, which has driven me to do some small modification.

I will keep working on it, I think, maybe a bit of dust? But I wonder if it could be visible having a slightly "out of focus" sight.

Anyway, thank you very much for your comments petsild, and glad you like it!

Hi petsild,

I have checked your "Airspeed Needle Mod", nice idea! :thumbup: Would like to try this, and other things for most of the gauges.

I see you are loading the texture using description LUA in a folder:

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default

and placing your texture mod there. This method is still working so far.

Could you please tell me the way to find the right name of the cockpit materials so I can replace other textures like :

SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF.dds or SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds

The Glass tint Modification stopped to work since last DCS update, also some mods like Skullz's Cockpit Mod.

Mods stored in the folder:

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures

Seen not to work anymore?

I have been trying to use EDM Livery Extractor GUI.exe from uboats.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159784

But seems not to work for me with this specific file ( Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX.EDM ) :helpsmilie:

Thanks

Edited by Grajo

Sí, la ultima beta se ha cargado a los mods que están fuera de los .zip. Ocurre también con los mod de terreno. Quizás Mustang, que ha solucionado el problema metiendo su mod de terreno del Caucaso en el zip (creo), pueda serte de ayuda:

Updated first post with v1.16 which now works with DCS World 2.5.3, for now I have done a direct injection of textures straight into the zip files which unfortunately makes the package somewhat larger, but at least it's working :)
(Ver foro de mods)

PD: Me encanta la nueva retícula (que sí funciona aún). La descubrí ayer precisamente, pero me preguntaba por qué la parte del cristal, q es demasiado verde en el original, no funcionaba. Ahora sé que pasa. Gracias (y tambien por tus retículas para el IL-2 BOS, con mods on. Mucho mas realistas que las originales. Deberian de poner las tuyas.).

S!

English (only the important part): Last beta broke the mods based on folders. Check Mustangs terrain mod for advice. It seems that he solved it including textures inside zip files, instead of folders. Thanks.

Edit: Creo que metiendo todo en el zip (hacer copia de seguridad antes) , el mod del cristal funciona. Prúebalo por favor, para confirmarlo. Saludos.

Edited by 3ra_Luke

MSI Trident X Plus 9SF-488EU Intel Core i9-9900K/64GB/2x2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD+1x2TB SSD/RTX 2080Ti/Samsung C49RG90 120hz/HP Reverb/

Hi Grajo,

my method through the \Liveries in the last three updates does not work.

In the module is more error could not load even using EDM Livery Extractor GUI.

I will provide a backup of the older file.

The only way to turn on the modification is complete the zip file 120 Mb.

Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIXold.lua

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Sí, la ultima beta se ha cargado a los mods que están fuera de los .zip. Ocurre también con los mod de terreno. Quizás Mustang, que ha solucionado el problema metiendo su mod de terreno del Caucaso en el zip (creo), pueda serte de ayuda: (Ver foro de mods)

PD: Me encanta la nueva retícula (que sí funciona aún). La descubrí ayer precisamente, pero me preguntaba por qué la parte del cristal, q es demasiado verde en el original, no funcionaba. Ahora sé que pasa. Gracias (y tambien por tus retículas para el IL-2 BOS, con mods on. Mucho mas realistas que las originales. Deberian de poner las tuyas.).

S!

English (only the important part): Last beta broke the mods based on folders. Check Mustangs terrain mod for advice. It seems that he solved it including textures inside zip files, instead of folders. Thanks.

Edit: Creo que metiendo todo en el zip (hacer copia de seguridad antes) , el mod del cristal funciona. Prúebalo por favor, para confirmarlo. Saludos.

Hi 3ra_Luke,

Thanks for all your feed back, help and kind words! happy that you are enjoying my little mods so far.

I have seen already what Mustang did with terrain mod and the stuff you propose to generate the full zip file as a mod.

Indeed this method: Recreating the Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip does work fine. Although, this mod is just 2 megas, so I do not think reasonable to make people download 120 mega just for that. Reticle does still work so I think I can go with that until this gets sort out someway.

Gracias por la ayuda y el feedback :thumbup:!

Hi Grajo,

my method through the \Liveries in the last three updates does not work.

In the module is more error could not load even using EDM Livery Extractor GUI.

I will provide a backup of the older file.

The only way to turn on the modification is complete the zip file 120 Mb.

Hi petsild,

Loading the texture using description.LUA in a folder:

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Liveries\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX\default

and placing your texture mod there. This method is still working so far.

And your mod does work again with the new update.

Indeed the cockpit-Livery method is working right now.

I can change some of the cockpit textures so far using the description.lua as expected.

-- rename it to description.lua
livery = 
{
{"pilot_RAF_FP_Notepad",0,"mfd3",true};
{"mirror_SpitfireIX", 0 ,"mirrors",true};  --mirrors texture replacement with runtime 
       rendered one
       --[[
       uncomment lines for customized dds/tga/bmp files
       --]]
{"SpitfireIX-CPT-pribors", 0, "spitfireix-cpt_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_GLASS", 0, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff", false};
       {"SpitfireIX_GLASS", 14, "spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff_filtr", false};  
{"SpitfireIX_1", 0, "spitfireix_1_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_2", 0, "spitfireix_2_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_3", 0, "spitfireix_3_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_4", 0, "spitfireix_4_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_5", 0, "spitfireix_5_dif", false};
{"SpitfireIX_6", 0, "spitfireix_6_dif", false};
{"Material #3108", 0, "pilot_raf_fp", false};

}
----== below part is not required for cockpit livery ==----
--[[ name your own skin in default language (en)
    meanwhile, you can also name the skin in more than one languages,
    replace xx by [ru, cn, cs, de, es, fr, or it] ]]
name = ""
--name_xx = ""
--[[ assign the countries
    if you want no country limitation,
    then comment out below line]]
countries = {""}

The "funny" thing is that I can replace all the textures I have tried by now, but not spitfireix_cpt_glass_diff_filtr.dds... What it makes me think that maybe they have changed the material for this or that they have created a different material for the cockpit Armored glass, what could be true (just guessing here) as many users had been asking to change the tint level of the glass in any upcoming Spitfire official release update.

Until here is what I have found out. Hope ED goes back to the simple "texture replacement method" that was working before (putting textures inside a folder with the zip name in the same folder). This method helps to mix different mod with no headaches.

Also It will be very convenient that in the menu special, they create a Cockpit selector for the Spitfire as we have for P-51 and many other modules.

Thank very much you for uploading the description.lua from old cockpit version, it has been very handy!:thumbup: Hope that uboats can find the way to make his tool work with the new edm files.

Hi, I didn't understand but I'm really noob in modding procedure, from the last patch the gunsight still work, the green glass no... Even deactivating and reactivating the mod the green glass is every time the vanilla's one. How can I have again the modified one? With the Vanilla is pretty impossible to spot or fight...

Thx.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

If you want to get the lighter tint working do this:

-Make backup of this file Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip that is inside your DCS directory:

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures

-Extract all it's content in a folder.

-copy the file SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds from my mod located in:

Spitfire HD Gunsight and Light Tint Armoured Glass v03\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures\

-Paste/Overwrite it in the new folder you have created with the extracted textures from Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip

-Create a new zip with this extracted textures with the name Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip that will replace the original.

Looks complicated but it is quite simple, just annoying...

This way mod for the tint armored glass will work. Indeed this is what I have done by now.

I think also that the vanilla one makes ground targets in Normandy really difficult to be spotted.

Hope that you can make it work.

If you want to get the lighter tint working do this:

-Make backup of this file Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip that is inside your DCS directory:

Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures

-Extract all it's content in a folder.

-copy the file SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds from my mod located in:

Spitfire HD Gunsight and Light Tint Armoured Glass v03\Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures\Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures\

-Paste/Overwrite it in the new folder you have created with the extracted textures from Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip

-Create a new zip with this extracted textures with the name Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip that will replace the original.

Looks complicated but it is quite simple, just annoying...

This way mod for the tint armored glass will work. Indeed this is what I have done by now.

I think also that the vanilla one makes ground targets in Normandy really difficult to be spotted.

Hope that you can make it work.

Thx, I will try it as soon as I will be at home in the afternoon.

Bye.

I can't get this to work anymore I'm afraid. Using your workaround gives me no cockpit textures. I must be doing something wrong and I think it's to do with your last line

There is already a zip file of that name that contains all the cockpit and pilot textures so I can't rename it with the same folder name.

Any suggestions? Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Are you renaming the original file Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip on Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.ziporg

Replace the modified zip of the original name.

Mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jiqea0i854e5dki/Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip

Edited by petsild

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Hi,

The idea is as "simple" as this:

Create a new zip file with SAME CONTENT of the original Cockpit_Spitfire_LFMkIX_Textures.zip, but inside it, REPLACE the texture SpitfireIX_CPT_GLASS_DIFF_FILTR.dds from the one in the mod. After Use this tweaked Zip file INSTEAD of the original (name it the same as original zip).

Put the original inside a folder called Backup for example.

The idea is to load the tweaked zip file instead of the original.

This will make Armored Glass Tint Tewak work.

If you want to have the Gunsight working just activate the mod as you were doing before with JSGME or OvGME

Both tweaks, reticle and glass will work with no problem.

Hope is clear :]

*Thanks for the help petsild, in any case, the file I uploaded is still perfectly valid, even if thetexture for the glass is there it will not cause any issue, as the sim will just load the one inside the zip.

Still can't get it to work. My entire cockpit textures have gone, even when I replace with the back ups they still don't come back. It's weird. I can get the gunsight working again but the glass is just a no-no at the moment. This is the third time I've had to do a repair to get the cockpit textures back. Do you think you may find a way to redo them without this workaround? Thanks for the help guys

Edited by mr_mojo97

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Hi mr_mojo97,

Sorry that you finished forced to do a repair, you probably did something else over there to finish having no cockpit textures at all.

Until now, there is no other way to make this work than modifying original zip, well-done works with no problem. This last update has "block" many other mods also. As I said before, I hope ED comes back to the other possibilities, those working one week ago.

Here is my zip file with the Glass Tint tweak and all the rest of the Spitfire's Cockpit textures, which work for me. I just activate the mod to get the reticle working after, and all works fine.

Replace in folder : \Mods\aircraft\SpitfireLFMkIX\Cockpit\Textures (from your game installation)

(do a backup of the original file first)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DJWQngJPulbgDeNkfn4WEUgJybyN3nh2

Remember that all your mods must be in Saved Games/DCS World/Mods/tech. Just in case :].

Good luck if you wish to give it a try. Should be really straightforward.

Cheers for the help mate but still no joy. I've done a direct replacement as you suggest with the original game zip folder in the DCS folder but no joy.

I also tried replacing your mod through my mods folder in Saved Games but no joy there either. The gun reticle works mind you so thats good. I also tried another similar mod by Toby with the same results.

Just so I'm not going insane, can you clarify that the attached pic is that of the original glass please.

Untitled.jpg.a2c4647b410b05cf55dc6e198c372282.jpg