MFD's Anti-Glare Coating

gonk

Is all the anti-glare coating missing from the MFD's ?

Or do the MFD's look that bad with some sunlight on them IRL?

Just looking at the modelled switches, knobs and joystick the aircraft looks very old... So do the displays..

Does the Hornet MFD's have an Auto brightness sensor?

Just curious...

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

Just looking at the modelled switches, knobs and joystick the aircraft looks very old... So do the displays..

It's a Legacy Hornet, all of which have been retired from Naval service at this point...so yeah, they are old and look it.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

It's a Legacy Hornet, all of which have been retired from Naval service at this point...so yeah, they are old and look it.

We are still using A's& B's down here...:-).

I have not work on one for over 14 years... Cannot recall what the displays looked like in the sun.. Mostly did preflights, after flights, and maintenance in the hangars.... But I am sure someone who is current can comment...I don't trust my recollection..:-)

Edited by gonk

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

SIMPEDS Pedals

In direct sunlight they are really hard to read. I used to work on the C/D model. Even with the display on bright, can be difficult to read. We had one model that even had micro finch for the center DDI map display.

Rgr..

The old moving map was film on the ones I work on.. :thumbup:

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

SIMPEDS Pedals

In direct sunlight they are really hard to read. I used to work on the C/D model. Even with the display on bright, can be difficult to read. We had one model that even had micro finch for the center DDI map display.

With just some horse sense... it's 2018 and mankind still hasn't been smart enough to be able to create displays that are readable at all in direct sunlight in case of notebooks, tablets or smartphones, the latter of which are exposed to these conditions quite often, frankly. So yeah, it's highly valid that we have problems reading old monochrome DDIs under sunlight.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg