Even higher real-time VR quality recording

Jabbers_

Well I think I’ve been able to nearly achieve trackir quality and clarity when recording VR

It still has to do with this technique found in my all things vr video

But I turned my monitor sideways so the desktop mirror was even larger at 1.6 PD it is nearly 3800 pixels in height and I don’t really need to stretch the window much in OBS

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

@Jabbers_ How do you do that?

Been watching you videos, turned my secondary screen vertical (made it my main), changed my monitor-, game- and OBS-resolution to 3860x2100

But still got "zoomed in view" in OBS

Are you using "game capture", "window capture" or "Display capture"?

A part of NOSIG

Hmm, no matter how I turn or change res, the game caputre picture stays the same in OBS. Running out of ideas :-/

@Jabbers_ what output res. are you using when streaming?

A part of NOSIG

Streaming 1080p@60fps 6000 bitrate

Recording 1440p@60fps 20000 bitrate

Can you show me settings of your setup both monitor and obs?

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

Well, please take a look. Thou atm I have turned my 2nd screen back to landscape, since it didnt make any diffrence.

With 2nd screen turned to Portrait, it still gave the same FOV as my posted OBS main screen picture.

Ive re-watched your previous video about VR & OBS to confirm Im using Game capture and centering it like you do, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/73yIDJU

Hmm still can figure out how to upload pictures correctly, so Ive just going to post the links to them here atm.

Sorry

:-P

Edited by Salsam

Yeah sorry, changed back. But as you can see on these pics in 4k with/without Vertical doesnt change anything in OBS game capture.

OBS changed Video to;

Base: 3840x2160

Output: 2560x1440

Just trying to figure out if there's any notable changes vs. current output.

Still kind of new to all this resolution and DSR stuff

2009364097_OBSmain4k.thumb.jpg.0f974afb68647be610a372599becb685.jpg

1537279453_OBSmain4kvertical.thumb.jpg.87bc2625c92b370f7f34759835f98429.jpg

2058904011_Res4kVertical.thumb.PNG.7c1dcfdc998f1b5aef77961408d3851c.PNG

You wont really see the changes till you record. Also your bitrate is only 5000 vs my recording on youtube is 20000, literally 4x larger. If you want to compare quality on twitch, compare it to this VOD from last night

That is 6k output, so slightly better but should be relatively close in detail.

You're Streaming at 20k bitrate at 1080/60!? :-O

I've set my recording to 30k but I thought around 5k bitrate was all YT/Twitch allowed.

So you dont get any better "FOV" on the recording, just clearer picture?

Im recording (to disk) at 20k bitrate.

Im streaming at 6k to twitch.

The video I uploaded to youtube is 20k (youtube takes whatever bitrate you wanna send it).

The VOD i linked from twitch ~1 post back is 6k (twitch caps at 6k)

Correct, FOV stays the same, clarity increases.

Hi Jabbers!

Awesome videos, thank you for making them!

Just a quick Q; while following the guide in "All things VR" I do get a much higher resolution and everything and things looks quite a lot better quality-wise watching my downscaled 1080p output recording (with canvas being set to 2160p).

The main issue, if it even can be called an issue, is that the aspect ratio still gets a bit, well ... not to my liking. I do understand the cause of this since I'm trying to cram in a portrait framed image ("native" OR desktop mirror (as in not the Oculus Mirror program that is)) into a landscape canvas (OBS) and there will some croppage due to this. Looking at the end result in "All things VR" along with the newer video in the OP, it looks like your Game Capture is a bit less "zoomed in"/cropped than it does for me after centering the source (Ctrl-D). My capture seems to crop away more from the top and bottom than for you.

Is that due to ... well, perhaps some difference in resolution or settings in DCS somehow or just that you're working your magic when setting up the OBS source in your scene? :)

Hi Jabbers!

Awesome videos, thank you for making them!

Just a quick Q; while following the guide in "All things VR" I do get a much higher resolution and everything and things looks quite a lot better quality-wise watching my downscaled 1080p output recording (with canvas being set to 2160p).

The main issue, if it even can be called an issue, is that the aspect ratio still gets a bit, well ... not to my liking. I do understand the cause of this since I'm trying to cram in a portrait framed image ("native" OR desktop mirror (as in not the Oculus Mirror program that is)) into a landscape canvas (OBS) and there will some croppage due to this. Looking at the end result in "All things VR" along with the newer video in the OP, it looks like your Game Capture is a bit less "zoomed in"/cropped than it does for me after centering the source (Ctrl-D). My capture seems to crop away more from the top and bottom than for you.

Is that due to ... well, perhaps some difference in resolution or settings in DCS somehow or just that you're working your magic when setting up the OBS source in your scene? :)

Can you screenshot all your settings in OBS?

I think I was a bit nitpicky.

I just got home and got some quiet-time to actually sit down and compare more closely. Comparing you first seconds in the clarity video when you engage the after burner to what I see ... it's pretty much the same to what I see. Bottom rows of DDI push-buttons at the bottom and just above the bottom of the apex in the canopy frame (or whatever it's called, sry).

My clarity isn't there yet but I haven't spent a single second going through my bitrates and stuff (and that I'm using QuickSync instead of NVENC ... but that's potato/potaato ;D)

TL;DR: I'm all good. Thanks again! ;)

I think I was a bit nitpicky.

I just got home and got some quiet-time to actually sit down and compare more closely. Comparing you first seconds in the clarity video when you engage the after burner to what I see ... it's pretty much the same to what I see. Bottom rows of DDI push-buttons at the bottom and just above the bottom of the apex in the canopy frame (or whatever it's called, sry).

My clarity isn't there yet but I haven't spent a single second going through my bitrates and stuff (and that I'm using QuickSync instead of NVENC ... but that's potato/potaato ;D)

TL;DR: I'm all good. Thanks again! ;)

Ok, here is stream quality using 6000 bitrate

Which is in all fairness is fantastic for a streamed media.

Sure, DCS is fairly low-bitrate friendly with little to no foliage and large flat surfaces in comparison to many fps:es for example.

OT: I haven't streamed in like 1½ years but the hankerin' sure is coming back. Currently I'm just testing out my old 2-pc setup (classic non-capture card setup by sending a QuickSync-based stream (so neither CPU nor GPU won't be taxed by the encoding) in ~50000kbit/s to my secondary computer running linux with nginx/ffmpeg that transcodes from 50k down to 6k and sending it to the ingest (well, 3k since I haven't streamed since they upped the soft-max to 6k)) and I do suspect it won't handle transcoding 1080p@60 in any way shape or form :D

Who said you can't have fun while making it overly complicated ... :)

Is there a way to control on which Display the mirror will go to?

I already have a portrait display that I can bump up to 4K, I'd haate to rotate my main display all the time.

It always goes to the display that is set as your main, so when you want to play, set the other monitor to main in windows.

• 3 years later...