DCS Spitfire Engine Setting Quick Reference Guide

DD_Fenrir

Hi chaps and chapesses,

Been working on a QRG for my squad for engine settings and the various fuel consumptions at these Boost and RPM combinations.

The caveats:

1. All airspeed figures were measured by me in game using a clean Spitfire LF Mk.IXc (no external stores), the cockpit ASI at altitudes as read from the in cockpit altimeter in the Normandy Free Flight mission. As such there will be some variance given different ambient air pressures and aircraft loadings. Hence the tilde prefix acknowledging the approximate nature of these figures.

2. All fuel consumption figures are either taken directly from those given in the A.P 15651, P&L-P.N. Pilot’s Notes for Spitfire IX, XI & XVI (September 1946) or where there are none specific to a given Manifold/Pressure and RPM combination, are extrapolated from them. There was a bit of maths comparing rate of change per 100RPM or per 2lb boost change, but ultimately some are reasonable estimates.

As such they are guidance only and actual performance will vary. Actual DCS fuel consumption figures are currently unavailable but are planned to be investigated for future reference.

3. Green highlighted show my personal preferences, one for what I term a Combat Cruise, settings which I find seems to get a balance between airspeed and fuel consumption, good for when over enemy lines but not immediately engaged. The other I have not titled but would suggest be an egress cruise; settings to get home relatively quickly but at increased MPG.

These are not official and there is nothing covering this in official publications for the Mk.IX - it seems that the Air Ministry left it to pilot discretion to determine; indeed this why I have included the calculations for both estimated endurance at a given setting and a gallon per minute figure so you if you're finding yourself at something of a premium for fuel, you can do your own mental gymnastics to work out what setting is most likely to (maybe) get you home (or at least near it!)

Hope it is of use. Feedback welcome.

Fen

DCS Spitfire LF.IX Engine Setting & Fuel Consumption Quick Reference Guide.pdf

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2

Good job Fenrir and thanks !

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Great job, and many thanks for sharing it. :thumbup:

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't see any charts in your post Fenrir, maybe because of the new forum engine? 

On 9/6/2018 at 1:36 AM, DD_Fenrir said:

Hi chaps and chapesses,

Been working on a QRG for my squad for engine settings and the various fuel consumptions at these Boost and RPM combinations.

The caveats:

1. All airspeed figures were measured by me in game using a clean Spitfire LF Mk.IXc (no external stores), the cockpit ASI at altitudes as read from the in cockpit altimeter in the Normandy Free Flight mission. As such there will be some variance given different ambient air pressures and aircraft loadings. Hence the tilde prefix acknowledging the approximate nature of these figures.

2. All fuel consumption figures are either taken directly from those given in the A.P 15651, P&L-P.N. Pilot’s Notes for Spitfire IX, XI & XVI (September 1946) or where there are none specific to a given Manifold/Pressure and RPM combination, are extrapolated from them. There was a bit of maths comparing rate of change per 100RPM or per 2lb boost change, but ultimately some are reasonable estimates.

As such they are guidance only and actual performance will vary. Actual DCS fuel consumption figures are currently unavailable but are planned to be investigated for future reference.

3. Green highlighted show my personal preferences, one for what I term a Combat Cruise, settings which I find seems to get a balance between airspeed and fuel consumption, good for when over enemy lines but not immediately engaged. The other I have not titled but would suggest be an egress cruise; settings to get home relatively quickly but at increased MPG.

These are not official and there is nothing covering this in official publications for the Mk.IX - it seems that the Air Ministry left it to pilot discretion to determine; indeed this why I have included the calculations for both estimated endurance at a given setting and a gallon per minute figure so you if you're finding yourself at something of a premium for fuel, you can do your own mental gymnastics to work out what setting is most likely to (maybe) get you home (or at least near it!)

Hope it is of use. Feedback welcome.

Fen