Belsimtek AH-1G Cobra questions. - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #11
Highwayman-Ed

Send a message via AIM to Highwayman-Ed

I'm right there with you on that Stratos, unless EDGE is going to be delivering some yet unknown enhancements to the simulation of infantry and fortifications.

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro
32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM
Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Extreme
40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K
Pimax 5K XR / Oculus Rift CV1
Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker
Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

Highwayman-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Stratos

Two things.

AFAIK the "S" is a updated G with the hability to carry TOW missiles (and improved engine?). Any chance we will see that on the future as a small development from the G??

Does the M129 grenade launcher have any hability or warhead that can work as a antitank round? At least against APC and IFV.

And then a question for Huey fans and users, what is the M134 capable of destroying enemy armored vehicles, APC and IFV, being a rifle caliber the hability to kill a BMP-2 should be 0 right?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Flagrum
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Two things.

AFAIK the "S" is a updated G with the hability to carry TOW missiles (and improved engine?). Any chance we will see that on the future as a small development from the G??

Does the M129 grenade launcher have any hability or warhead that can work as a antitank round? At least against APC and IFV.

And then a question for Huey fans and users, what is the M134 capable of destroying enemy armored vehicles, APC and IFV, being a rifle caliber the hability to kill a BMP-2 should be 0 right?

Thanks.
Afaik there are no 40mm grenades with AT capability in service (back then in the times of the M129). Probably the best one could come up with is the M433 HEDP. Wikipedia: "(...) ability to effectively engage light vehicles and personnel. The M433 combines a small shaped charge with a wire fragmentation mesh for the dual effect."

(the M1002 would probably also be ... fun ;o)
Flagrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
WinterH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Two things.

Thanks.
I find anti armor round for a grenade launcher to be highly unlikely, given they are rather low caliber for a shaped charge warhead to be efficient, and are very low velocity for any hope of a kinetic armour piercing kind of round.

As for rifle caliber minigun against an IFV, while theoretically they should have almost zero chance to penetrate above averagely armored fighting vehicles, I'm not sure if armour / penetration modeling in DCS is that much realistic, so I wouldn't be surprised if you do at least some damage with a rifle caliber weapon if you hit them enough There are armour piercing rounds for rifle caliber. They have either one or both of these two properties : achieve very high velocity with extra propellant / have a very rigid / dense core, sometimes surrounded bya softer jacket. But as far as I know they are only good for defeating personal protection garments, or the very lightest vehicle armor. Also, even if they can penetrate, they tend to lose energy much quicker than heavier rounds, so such penetration would only be possible at very close ranges, rendering their use on a helicopter gunship against and armored threat rather questionable for me. Even if and when you do achieve penetration, by the odd round, damage it can cause inside appaers questionable to me. I can't imagine it causing overpressure, excessive fragmenting / spalling, or excessive heat / fire inside.

Since I don't have the huey, I would like to hear experiences & opinions of DCS Huey flyers on this. If my memory serves right, I recall seeing a youtube vid with DCS : UH-1 Huey, where a Huey with flexible miniguns destroyed a Tunguska. Though, Tunguska may be quite less armored than a BMP.

AH-1G was actually served (and may be designed?) mostly as a counter insurgency & jungle fighting platform, rather than anti-armor attack helicopter. That purpose & capability really came with later versions.
WinterH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
Stratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
Since I don't have the huey, I would like to hear experiences & opinions of DCS Huey flyers on this.If my memory serves right, I recall seeing a youtube vid with DCS : UH-1 Huey, where a Huey with flexible miniguns destroyed a Tunguska. Though, Tunguska may be quite less armored than a BMP.

AH-1G was actually served (and may be designed?) mostly as a counter insurgency & jungle fighting platform, rather than anti-armor attack helicopter. That purpose & capability really came with later versions.
Thanks for explanation, I can see the utlity of the G for close quarters COIN warfare, but in DCS World that is really vehicle centered that turret will fail to do anything more than cool pyrotecnics.

I own the Huey but suck at it so badly that I will wait someone with more experience to share his experiences with us.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #16
sorcer3r

It is not a good idea to attack light armored vehicles with the UH1H (also in DCS).

Using some wild weasel tactics can work but it is a very high risk.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #17
Nerdwing

I noticed that armed, the Huey has a tendency to act front-heavy as well as a noticeable change in CoG. I assume the Cobra will be not only faster flat-out than the Huey, but also more stable and without that tendency?
Nerdwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #18
Scrim+
Posting Rights Revoked

Ought to be. Jerry rigged transport helo vs. purpose built attack helo.
Scrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #19
ZQuickSilverZ

I have a question.

No posts since 2014........... what happened?
"I've seen steering wheels / arcade sticks / flight sticks for over a hundred dollars; why be surprised at a 150 dollar item that includes the complexities of this controller?! It has BLINKY LIGHTS!!" author unknown.

These titles are listed in the chronological order I purchased them.
ZQuickSilverZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #20
BlueMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQuickSilverZ View Post
I have a question.

No posts since 2014........... what happened?
Guess...project dead
BlueMax is offline   Reply With Quote