Parachute Descent Rate

Does anyone else find the parachute descent rate too slow? Is this able to be adjusted in anyway? Just seems really slow even from just a 1000ft

Thanks for any feedback

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

I'm flying the A-10 since "Lock-On" times (that was something like 2003). Since then I had to eject 3 times - if the statistics in my logbook is right. At 3 ejections in 14 years I don't really care how fast my parachute is descending. :D

Edited by norbot

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

In the A-10 over Georgia, I get about 16.6 feet per second, or a bit less than 11 1/2 mph or a bit less than 1000 feet per minute, which doesn't seem unreasonable for a chute that is designed to get someone down safely who may not be concious... I read that civilian Parachutes are somewhat faster at more like 19 feet per second.

WWII Military chutes should be quite a bit faster, maybe nearer 20mph. I have no idea whether different aircraft in DCS model chutes differently. Feel free to sit there with a stopwatch & report back your findings ;)

Once you are hanging from a chute, your game is over so what difference does it make.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

You colonial types have no decorum, always in a rush...

What's wrong with taking in the sights at a leisurely pace on the way down while firing up a nice bit of rough shag on the trusty old briar, but still wanting to be back at the NAAFI in time for tiffin?

What?

For a 28' C-9 parachute average descent is 22-26 feet per second. The heavier the parachutist and less dense the air (hot, high, etc.) the faster the rate.

If the DCS rate is ~70% as fast that would be subjectively noticeable.

This thread is quite funny thread, what makes it really funny is that it's actually posted in the bug section?

Really guys are we really going there, any one got the stats sheet. Do we need Yo-Yo to chime in on this ;)

For a 28' C-9 parachute average descent is 22-26 feet per second. The heavier the parachutist and less dense the air (hot, high, etc.) the faster the rate.

If the DCS rate is ~70% as fast that would be subjectively noticeable.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I don't get what is so funny of having this thread... That said, I don't think this is a grand issue either. Still, ED should change the parachute speeds to values that reflect reality, if the speed doesn't match currently. Most likely it is a singular value in the sim. End of story. No fuss about it.

It's not a parachuting sim, but why should we have an unrealistic speed on the chute, if the correct one is just as easy/difficult to put in the game?

• Like 1

DCS Finland | SF squadron

PFM for the chutes......

But yeah as soon as you got the silk it's game over. Until we get to hop into the SAR chopper it's not worth it.

on ma mobile

• Like 1

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

PFM for the chutes......

But yeah as soon as you got the silk it's game over. Until we get to hop into the SAR chopper it's not worth it.

on ma mobile

PFM for the chutes......:megalol:

Performance of Vented Round Parachutes PDF

An Experimental Investigation of Aerodynamic Drag on a Round Parachute Canopy PDF

THEORETICAL PARACHUTE INVESTIGATIONS PDF

cb4bebb54322b4465c1574275d30d767.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

PFM for the chutes......

on ma mobile

I will decide what aspects of flight simulation are worthwhile to get correct. You are no longer to be consulted.

just press lctrl E three times in the parachute to eject again and then when really close to the ground, lctrl E three times again to open the backup chute if available

else

return NULL

end

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I will decide what aspects of flight simulation are worthwhile to get correct. You are no longer to be consulted.

AFM then... :megalol::megalol:

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 5 weeks later...
I don't get what is so funny of having this thread... That said, I don't think this is a grand issue either. Still, ED should change the parachute speeds to values that reflect reality, if the speed doesn't match currently. Most likely it is a singular value in the sim. End of story. No fuss about it.

It's not a parachuting sim, but why should we have an unrealistic speed on the chute, if the correct one is just as easy/difficult to put in the game?

Now see when I started this thread, I was quite serious about it. It's a very serious matter in fact. But seriously, I like to bail out from time to time to experience the sensation of parachuting. But in all seriousness, it was really for the friends that come over and have never tried VR and DCS, bailing them out anywhere above 500ft it takes an eternity until they hit the ground. And in VR it's funny telling them to look down and keep their feet together as they hit the ground.

See - a serious topic indeed!

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908