[TCN-DL FREQ CONFLICT] ME, F16, Datalink, HSD, AWACS - What is wrong?

Falcon_S

Few days i trying to get DL to work in F16 in my mission but no, no contacts detected by AWACS on SA page.

NOTE: AWACS calling for targets, BRA, etc but no picture.

Is mission broken somewhere or some bug exist in DCS/F16?

1. F16 cold start, INS aligned - no datalink (AWACS Radio messages exist)

2. F16 hot start - - no datalink (AWACS Radio messages exist)

- AWACS task - grayed out or white, same problem

- EPLRS ON - same problem

- Freqs, tried so many different - same problem

- E3A - same problem

- E2D - same problem

- NEW AWACS - same problem

- NEW MISSION - everything is ok.

What i need to do to get this work? Is my old mission broken or...?

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Few days i trying to get DL to work in F16 in my mission but no, no contacts detected by AWACS on SA page.

- NEW MISSION - everything is ok.

What i need to do to get this work? Is my old mission broken or...?

Usual things in old missions are EPLRS missing from the AWACS unit and/or TACAN conflicts i.e. the datalink's frequency hop isn't modelled, so some TACAN channels "jam" the datalink.

If you share your mission, I can take a look.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Will check again... Problem started when i change mission (supercarriers added), maybe is about TACAN. Thanks.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Avoid tacan channels 1-37 and their corresponding high pairs.

What I noticed after the last patch was the AWACS didn't send information over datalink on tankers. But otherwise, all worked well.

Good Luck,

Dances

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

This always confused me so I looked it up. As far as I can tell TACAN and Link 16 shouldn't conflict with each other in a way that degrades Link 16. Filtering prevents L16 from degrading AIFF. Filters/IFF can degrade TACAN. L16 may degrade briefly during AIFF especially multimode.

Upper antenna (A) and lower (B) have different filter operation and service use. Antenna A's filters are permanent and reduces performance on a set of TACAN channels. Normally TACAN uses B and not A because TACANs are on the ground except in AA TCN which uses both A and B. The fixed filter on A means that TACAN can be degraded on certain channels with receivers above the wing line or when the B antenna filter is switched on during AIFF or can be disrupted by stray AIFF/DME transmissions from other agencies when the filter on B isn't operating.

MIDS Link 16 uses both A and B antennas except during AIFF use as B antenna switch filter is enabled. While TACAN is inflexible about frequency use, Link 16 is not. Link 16 uses 960-1215 MHz range

Upper antenna filter blocks TACAN 1-13, 59-73 (which graphs out to 1030+-7 MHz, 1090+-7 MHz). The filters seem to have a width of noticeable effect of 14 MHz for the 1030 and 1090 centers. MLU describe filters that are 10MHz and 16MHz respectively.

In summary the notion that a certain TACAN arrangement will cause L16 to be affected isn't supported by public information. It hops 77,000 times per second where there's a ~28MHz band of frequencies of potential interference in two places in the 255MHz band of total operating frequency space of the system. I do not believe the L16 network is so fragile.

This always confused me so I looked it up. As far as I can tell TACAN and Link 16 shouldn't conflict with each other in a way that degrades Link 16. Filtering prevents L16 from degrading AIFF. Filters/IFF can degrade TACAN. L16 may degrade briefly during AIFF especially multimode.

Upper antenna (A) and lower (B) have different filter operation and service use. Antenna A's filters are permanent and reduces performance on a set of TACAN channels. Normally TACAN uses B and not A because TACANs are on the ground except in AA TCN which uses both A and B. The fixed filter on A means that TACAN can be degraded on certain channels with receivers above the wing line or when the B antenna filter is switched on during AIFF or can be disrupted by stray AIFF/DME transmissions from other agencies when the filter on B isn't operating.

MIDS Link 16 uses both A and B antennas except during AIFF use as B antenna switch filter is enabled. While TACAN is inflexible about frequency use, Link 16 is not. Link 16 uses 960-1215 MHz range

Upper antenna filter blocks TACAN 1-13, 59-73 (which graphs out to 1030+-7 MHz, 1090+-7 MHz). The filters seem to have a width of noticeable effect of 14 MHz for the 1030 and 1090 centers. MLU describe filters that are 10MHz and 16MHz respectively.

In summary the notion that a certain TACAN arrangement will cause L16 to be affected isn't supported by public information. It hops 77,000 times per second where there's a ~28MHz band of frequencies of potential interference in two places in the 255MHz band of total operating frequency space of the system. I do not believe the L16 network is so fragile.

Doesn’t affect L16 in RL either.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F-18 NATOPS for example clearly states that TACAN interferes with MIDS / Link 16 depending on which TACAN channel is selected (I can't post a screenshot or link due to forum rules).

For this very reason, I picked channels 40-41-42 in my missions for TACAN even before Link 16 was implemented in the Hornet. Once it was, it became very clear this interference is indeed a problem if you select the wrong channels.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

The F-18 NATOPS for example clearly states that TACAN interferes with MIDS / Link 16 depending on which TACAN channel is selected (I can't post a screenshot or link due to forum rules).

For this very reason, I picked channels 40-41-42 in my missions for TACAN even before Link 16 was implemented in the Hornet. Once it was, it became very clear this interference is indeed a problem if you select the wrong channels.

What does that have to do with the F-16C?

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I'd be interested in seeing exactly the nature of this stated interference. I suspect that TACAN may suffer interference from L16 but not the reverse as is the case with F-16. It's easy to assume that interference is bi-directional when that is not always the case. If you could say which NATOPS (and possibly which section) describes this I would be interested in looking.

What does that have to do with the F-16C?

Do TACAN and MIDS work *that* differently then under the hood?

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 3 months later...

Hi guys. New in the DCS F16. GR's guide followed to use datalink but no luck on either HSD or FCR. Selfmade offline mission with AWACS and a couple of friendlies (DLink capable) and then some SAM sites and L39 'weaponless' for testing. Cold start. Full 9 min. INS align, MIDS activated and L16 selected on MFD. What am I doing wrong?

• 1 year later...
2020/7/29 PM11点18分,Raven (Elysian Angel)说:

例如,F-18 NATOPS 明确指出 TACAN 会干扰 MIDS / Link 16,具体取决于选择的 TACAN 频道(由于论坛规则,我无法发布屏幕截图或链接)。

正是出于这个原因,我在我的任务中为 TACAN 选择了 40-41-42 频道,甚至在 Link 16 在大黄蜂中实施之前。曾经,很明显,如果您选择了错误的频道,这种干扰确实是个问题。

Thanks to you for telling this, I fixed the problem with the data link in my mission.I have another question,do you know the problem with Tacan failing after running for a while?