Afterburner shader fix

Clorydric

Variant 4 tweaked, it's a little bit more visible now.

Var. 1 remains (I think) the most realistic... In a bright sunlight, you'll only see the "shock diamonds" (circles in the AB trail). Flames are almost invisible once they leave the engine exhaust.

Real life pictures for reference :

The last one was a very cloudy day, shot around 0930, and you can barely see the afterburner...

Jrk0pf1.jpg

au9scRO.jpg

QsFDpZB.jpg

Sadly, the variables I have access to change color/opacity doesn't work exactly the way I'd like. This is either too bright just before sunset, or too dim the hour after sun disappeared. :wallbash:

(Not to mention I have zero knowledge in C or shaders development)

Of course it would be better to have ED fix it (at least they know what to do, and how their variables works... Unlike me :D). But I think they have more important things to do than some minor fx tweaks.

Edited by Clorydric

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

Updated with new texture (variant 5) :

Preview:

Day :

ylRfe3T.png

1h after sunrise / before sunset

07RYudj.png

30' after sunrise / before sunset

CbEiDr0.png

sunrise / sunset

WPwhj3P.png

night

F6KJvjj.png

Intel 9900KF @ 5.1GHz / RTX 2080S OC @ 1.93GHz / ASUS Prime Z390-A / 2x16Gb DDR4 @ 3333 CL16 / Corsair TX850M / Samsung NVME 970 EVO+ / TM warthog Thr. / VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG / MFG Crosswind mk3 / Valve Index

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up. The 2.5.6 patch broke this mod, since the afterburner.fx file was changed.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Hotfix for 2.5.6 in attachment - WORK IN PROGRESS.

I only have my old laptop at the moment, so I can't test everything (all DCS settings to low).

Please report any issue (related with this mod) or feedback here.

I noticed there's a new FLIR shader technique. I don't know what it is, nor what it's supposed to do exactly (This part is not modded yet).

edit : Updated with a new variant : afterburner for F-16 and F-18 should be less blue.

afterburner.zip

Edited by Clorydric

The hotfix seems to be working.

Is there a code parameter for longer flame cones?

Yes. But it'll break IC (and maybe looks awful if the AB texture is stretched).

You have to check for this reference in the aircraft lua (ex. "..\DCSWorld\CoreMods\aircraft\F-5E\F-5E.lua") :

engines_nozzles =
   {
       [1] =
       {
           pos =     {-6.922,    -0.084,    -0.226},
           elevation            =    0.5,
           azimuth                =    -2.08,
           diameter            =    0.5,
           exhaust_length_ab    =    4.5,
           exhaust_length_ab_K    =    0.76,
           smokiness_level     =     0.15, 
       }, -- end of [1]
       [2] =
       {
           pos                 =     {-6.922,    -0.084,    0.226},
           elevation            =    0.5,
           azimuth                =    2.08,
           diameter            =    0.5,
           exhaust_length_ab    =    4.5,
           exhaust_length_ab_K    =    0.76,
           smokiness_level     =     0.15, 
       }, -- end of [2]
   }, -- end of engines_nozzles

"exhaust_length_ab" controls the AB length, diameter controls (obviously) the diameter.

ALWAYS do a backup before making any edits to this file (otherwise you won't be able to play on some MP servers).

Edited by Clorydric
spelling. Self reminder : Posting something past midnight isn't a good idea.

Is it possible to adjust the lighting that afterburner casts on the ground? When a/b is blue, the light is still yellow on the ground.

Not to my knowledge, I think this is just a light emitter (just like the nav lights).

This is not part of the afterburner shader.

• 2 months later...
Can't get this to work with F-14 on the latest beta patch.

Never mind. Apparently they made it impossible to use this. :doh:

edit : Ok, tested and confirmed. Any edits to files in the Coremods folder will break the modified module.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THE F-14 FIX WITH THE LATEST OPEN BETA UPDATE (Supercarrier release, build 2.5.6.49314).

Edited by Clorydric

• 2 months later...

Tested with lastest OB release (26/07/2020) and it's working with all planes including the Tomcat (even with the CoreMods and all this stuff)

but I noted that it gives the DCS afterburner texture to the F14 (and not the Heatblur's custom one)

Maybe the problem was already solved, I didn't follow this thread

• 7 months later...
On 2/17/2020 at 8:39 AM, Clorydric said:

Hotfix for 2.5.6 in attachment - WORK IN PROGRESS.

I only have my old laptop at the moment, so I can't test everything (all DCS settings to low).

Please report any issue (related with this mod) or feedback here.

I noticed there's a new FLIR shader technique. I don't know what it is, nor what it's supposed to do exactly (This part is not modded yet).

edit : Updated with a new variant : afterburner for F-16 and F-18 should be less blue.

afterburner.zip 13.78 kB · 119 downloads

Hey my guy, Sorry to MEGA necropost you on this one. Any hopes of this mod making a return? I desperately miss it in my mod list 😀

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Official Texture pack:

http://community.104thphoenix.com/topic/1221-104th-official-texture-pack/

Un-Official Roughmet Texture Pack:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303667/

Livery Creation Discord Group Invite-

https://discord.gg/bqAq2zx

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:02 AM, 104th_Fallen said:

Hey my guy, Sorry to MEGA necropost you on this one. Any hopes of this mod making a return? I desperately miss it in my mod list 😀

Sorry, I just noticed your reply... Haven't played for a few weeks.

Mod has been (quickly) updated, but I haven't checked if everything was working properly. Please report any issues 😉

• Like 1