Can You Fly AND Fight in the Hind Completely From The Front Seat? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #1
Bearfoot

Default Can You Fly AND Fight in the Hind Completely From The Front Seat?

I know multicrew will (eventually) be included, and presumably/hopefully there will be some Jester-like AI for the weapon controller in the front seat when there is only one human player in the back.

In the Wags video recently released, he notes that you can also fly in the front seat which is where you operate the antitank weapons from.

Would that mean that you can (comfortably/completely) fly the Hind as well as operate all the weapons from the front seat? So no need for AI or a second human?
Bearfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
Grodlund

Should be. IRL the flight controls are duplicated (with the ability to be folded away) in the gunners seat.
I am guessing, for most people who fly without a human this will be the primary way of controling the Mi-24. Just my guess
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #3
Lucas_From_Hell

The gunner has only the bare essentials in terms of controls, and does not have access to any of the mission equipment located in the pilot's seat, including the navigation, rockets and cannon triggers as far as I know. Per old Belsimtek newsletters, there will be a gunner AI to handle spotting and targeting.
Lucas_From_Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #4
Gierasimov

Thumbs up Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_From_Hell View Post
The gunner has only the bare essentials in terms of controls, and does not have access to any of the mission equipment located in the pilot's seat, including the navigation, rockets and cannon triggers as far as I know. Per old Belsimtek newsletters, there will be a gunner AI to handle spotting and targeting.
I have seen that too, that there will be limited capability AI, that's fine. I hope it will be 100% usable in single player without switching cockpits back and forth. If I can fire from pilot's seat and guy at the front does the missile shots I am fine.
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #5
pepin1234

Depend if the Mi-24 has autopilot and if you can activate it from the front seat.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepin1234 View Post
Depend if the Mi-24 has autopilot and if you can activate it from the front seat.
The AI pilot can do basic flying (fly x kts in direction y) when you're in the front seat.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
Dr_Arrow

In the real Mi-24 you can fly from the front seat, but it is meant only for emergencies so in case the pilot gets seriously wounded or killed WSO can fly and land the thing. It is really not meant for fighting, or maneuvering.
Dr_Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
Fri13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
The AI pilot can do basic flying (fly x kts in direction y) when you're in the front seat.
Doesn't help much as you should be able to perform 60 degree turns while guiding the missile, so you don't fly straight at the enemy fire.
https://youtu.be/1NSb-YttCgU?t=1493

The gunner has not so much tasks there than to launch missiles, and likely designate the target for the pilot too so it becomes marked one in his HUD. There is nice video about that.

https://youtu.be/1NSb-YttCgU?t=1743

It is possible that designated/locked target by the gunner is just for the missile guidance (similar manner as Su-25A can lock own target) and pilot doesn't see it.

But if the pilot can see that in his HUD, it would make gunner position more interesting for finding and designating targets for gun/rocket strafes.
So operation to jump to front seat, set autopilot fly straight at speed, search target, designate it and jump back to pilot seat to engage it.