[REPORTED] KEAS displayed on the HUD instead of KCAS

bkthunder

According to this post, the F-16s HUD in DCS is displaying KEAS rather than KCAS.

I've done a test myself and can confirm.

This obviously leads to pretty big discrepancies in speed readings, with all associated consequences.

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

IMPORTANT: KEAS instead of KCAS!

Ok, we might have stumbled on something big.

Kudos to the original poster on reddit

Summary:

It is very likely that ALL AIRCRAFT IN DCS DISPLAY KEAS INSTEAD OF KCAS on their digital insturments (i.e. HUD, MFDs etc)

This could lead to FM issues if devs used those numbers thinking it was KCAS.

Test:

I just tested F-18, F-15, F-16. Mirage-2000, Su-27.

Test parameters:

• Standard atmosphere
  • No wind
  • 35000ft
  • Mach 0.9 or ~290 kts Equivalent Air Speed

Pay attention: it turns out the speed displayed as "IAS" in the F2 inforbar is the Equivalent Air Speed.

So, given 290kts EAS (from the infobar), we should have:

• KCAS: 310 kts
  • KTAS: 518.5 kts
  • GS: 518.5 kts (there's no wind)

All parameters match, except KCAS displayed on the HUD of the different airplanes is 291 kts instead of 310 kts.

That's 20kts difference, going to increase as speed and / or altitude increase.

All calculations are based on this page http://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/scripts/atmosphere/

The very worrying part:

Not sure if it's just a displayed speed issue, but if FMs are being made and tweaked based on what devs think is KCAS, but turns out it is actually KEAS, it could mean all FMs in the game are off.

Example: I have personally tested and reported that the F-16's level acceleration at 10k feet and above is severly slower than IRL. The reports have been acknowledged.

In some cases the timings were off by as much as 40%, so while there is still a high chance that the DCS F-16 is indeed undeperfroming, it might not be as bad as 40%, and if the speed displayed on the hud is taken as a measurment, the FM would result in a grossly over-powered F-16.

I hope you get what I mean.

@ED please check!

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

That's one of the occasions where I would love to see ED's Yo-Yo chime in.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I personally PMd Yo-Yo, Kate and Wags about this. Yo-yo replied so I am sure they are aware.

Important to note that this is not just about one particular modules, but it's sim-wise.

Thinking about all the EM charts, analyses and comparisons the community has ran on these modules...jeez, those are all based on the wrong numbers!

Hopefully 3rd party devs didn't trust the in-game speed readings when testing their FMs :doh:

• ED Team
I personally PMd Yo-Yo, Kate and Wags about this. Yo-yo replied so I am sure they are aware.

Important to note that this is not just about one particular modules, but it's sim-wise.

Thinking about all the EM charts, analyses and comparisons the community has ran on these modules...jeez, those are all based on the wrong numbers!

Hopefully 3rd party devs didn't trust the in-game speed readings when testing their FMs :doh:

Don't worry, the team is looking into it, Yo-Yo didn't seem as concerned with the stuff he works on, but possible its a bigger issue with more modern stuff, anyways when I hear something I will let you know.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 weeks later...

@bkthunder Not sure how to go about proving this but, I was the original poster on Reddit (u/espressoandcream). Appreciate you taking the discussion over here for the ED folks (glad that they're aware and investigating). Now that my account is actually activated on the ED forums, I'd be happy to help with any future data gathering/investigating. What can I say, my IRL job is flight testing F-16's. Makes sense that I do it in my spare time too. :D

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to flight models in DCS, but I can say from personal experience that something feels slightly "off" about the DCS F-16 when compared to real-world experience (hence why I was out doing the level accels that I mentioned on Reddit to gather data to compare to my own IRL experience). In addition to the obvious effects a bug like this would have on performance, I'm interested to see if there would be any trickle-down effects of using KEAS vs. KCAS, when it comes to stability & handling qualities. Probably not a whole lot at lower altitudes, but I can imagine there would be some noticeable difference up high.

Hopefully I didn't open too big of a "can of worms" with this one. Thanks!

Edited by aSnatchyConman

@bkthunder Not sure how to go about proving this but, I was the original poster on Reddit (u/espressoandcream). Appreciate you taking the discussion over here for the ED folks (glad that they're aware and investigating). Now that my account is actually activated on the ED forums, I'd be happy to help with any future data gathering/investigating. What can I say, my IRL job is flight testing F-16's. Makes sense that I do it in my spare time too. :D

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to flight models in DCS, but I can say from personal experience that something feels slightly "off" about the DCS F-16 when compared to real-world experience (hence why I was out doing the level accels that I mentioned on Reddit to gather data to compare to my own IRL experience). In addition to the obvious effects a bug like this would have on performance, I'm interested to see if there would be any trickle-down effects of using KEAS vs. KCAS, when it comes to stability & handling qualities. Probably not a whole lot at lower altitudes, but I can imagine there would be some noticeable difference up high.

Thank you.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Awesome, thanks for joining the discussion and, with your experience, hopefully ED will be listening. They sure have a history of being extremely reluctant to admit mistakes, maybe this time it'll be different. Personally I'm looking forward to your contributions here and a little envious of your awesome RL job :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on this?

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

• 1 month later...
Just a small update, the team is putting together a bit of a report on DCS FMs as part of this discussion, when that gets closer I hope we will have an answer to this and more. Thanks guys.

All HUD-airplanes are showing KEAS in the HUD. ED has to change that.

What speed is the DCS FMs based on?

Did quick tests & the nr's are correct as per TS linked redit tests. When is this going to be a confirmed as a MAJOR BUG?

Ok, we might have stumbled on something big.

Kudos to the original poster on reddit

Summary:

It is very likely that ALL AIRCRAFT IN DCS DISPLAY KEAS INSTEAD OF KCAS on their digital insturments (i.e. HUD, MFDs etc)

This could lead to FM issues if devs used those numbers thinking it was KCAS.

Test:

I just tested F-18, F-15, F-16. Mirage-2000, Su-27.

Test parameters:

• Standard atmosphere
  • No wind
  • 35000ft
  • Pay attention: it turns out the speed displayed as "IAS" in the F2 inforbar is the Equivalent Air Speed.

All parameters match, except KCAS displayed on the HUD of the different airplanes is 291 kts instead of 310 kts.

That's 20kts difference, going to increase as speed and / or altitude increase.

All calculations are based on this page http://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/scripts/atmosphere/

The very worrying part:

Not sure if it's just a displayed speed issue, but if FMs are being made and tweaked based on what devs think is KCAS, but turns out it is actually KEAS, it could mean all FMs in the game are off.

Example: I have personally tested and reported that the F-16's level acceleration at 10k feet and above is severly slower than IRL. The reports have been acknowledged.

In some cases the timings were off by as much as 40%, so while there is still a high chance that the DCS F-16 is indeed undeperfroming, it might not be as bad as 40%, and if the speed displayed on the hud is taken as a measurment, the FM would result in a grossly over-powered F-16.

I hope you get what I mean.

@ED please check!

Jepp, they'll have to redo ALL FM's & God knows what else?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

This has NOTHING to do with FMs, ED stated this clearly. It purely affects the numbers shown to us in the cockpit, nothing else

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Hi!

Test parameters:

• Standard atmosphere
  • No wind
  • 35000ft
  • Pay attention: it turns out the speed displayed as "IAS" in the F2 inforbar is the Equivalent Air Speed.

This has NOTHING to do with FMs, ED stated this clearly. It purely affects the numbers shown to us in the cockpit, nothing else

To know if the airspeed in HUD vs info bar is correct, ... etc ... it is easy to be checked with two points on the map (known distance), an air temperature (defined in weather page), and a watch.

Regards.

Edited by Dee-Jay

Link?

I see you didnt read the FM paper...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=281651

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg