F-16 Canopy control?

Luft Waffel

I'm watching the Start Up guide on youtube and Wags says to close the cockpit to do Left Control + C on the keyboard and then lock the canopy with the yellow canopy lock. However I'm wondering how the real pilots close the lid? I have looked at the manual but there it also just says Left Ctrl + C and there doesn't seem to be a canopy switch like in the Hornet. Does the lid have to be closed by the ground crew in real life? Does anyone know what they do?

According to the cockpit orientation video the canopy switch is behind the yellow clamp, and guarded when the clamp is down!

Don’t know if it is (already) simulated.

Beste regards,

Stefan, HereThen

| I7 8700K 4.7 Ghz | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 | Asus MAXIMUS X HERO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q | TrackIR5 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Thrustmaster TPR | Steelseries Apex PRO | Steelseries Aerox 3 | Steelseries Arctis WL Pro | MonsterTech table clamps |

3-position switch that will remain in the up position for opening, but must be held down to close the canopy. From the down position it will spring load back to center. Fun fact if the pilot leaves the switch in the up position, the ground crew can not close the canopy from the external switch without first re-centering the internal cockpit switch.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Fun fact if the pilot leaves the switch in the up position, the ground crew can not close the canopy from the external switch without first re-centering the internal cockpit switch.

Well actually only partially true. The canopy WILL close but as soon as you release the external switch it is coming back up. :P

That has always been an amusing one to watch the CC put the ladder down close the canopy all the way just to have it open itself right back up and have to put the ladder back to center the switch in the pit. Even better if it is a D model.

Done it a few times myself as avionics...

What I want to know is how to open it when you're standing next to it on the tarmac. Don't ask me why I want to know lol.

My Hangar: | A-10A | A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B II NA | F-14B | BF-109 K4 | C-101 | F-15C | F-5E II |F-86F | F/A-18C | FW-190 D-9 | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | MI-8MTV2 | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | P-51D | SA342 | Spitfire IX | SU-25 | SU-25T | SU-27 | SU-33 | UH-1H |

My Playgrounds: | Caucasus | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandy |

Cockpit: | i7-4790K | EVGA Z97 | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB | Samsung EVO SSD | Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. System | TrackIR 5 |

Well actually only partially true. The canopy WILL close but as soon as you release the external switch it is coming back up. :P

True

That has always been an amusing one to watch the CC put the ladder down close the canopy all the way just to have it open itself right back up and have to put the ladder back to center the switch in the pit. Even better if it is a D model.

I just slap the side of the jet, works every time.:megalol:

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

What I want to know is how to open it when you're standing next to it on the tarmac. Don't ask me why I want to know lol.

Well for whatever reason bottom of the left strake right around the side air intake there is a door you can open where you hook up external cooling air to. The external canopy switch is inside that door.

Or even better yet go to 7:36 in this video and you can see the switch. Hope the TSgt in this video is good at his job as acting isn't in his future. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E__uZk3jW8

Edited by Stubbies2003

I'm watching the Start Up guide on youtube and Wags says to close the cockpit to do Left Control + C on the keyboard and then lock the canopy with the yellow canopy lock. However I'm wondering how the real pilots close the lid? I have looked at the manual but there it also just says Left Ctrl + C and there doesn't seem to be a canopy switch like in the Hornet. Does the lid have to be closed by the ground crew in real life? Does anyone know what they do?

612116142_spiderguardhookinteraction2.thumb.jpg.2a3880ac062385b1a972db5a476a6bb3.jpg

944938669_canopyhookswithlabels.thumb.jpg.3dfc97a3dc163bce14f89c67ee4459a0.jpg

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Flirting with that Rule 1.16, we will just go with the fact it's a late 1970's Viper :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[ATTACH]218182[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]218183[/ATTACH]

By the way, I do not believe this is a real cockpit since it has black side walls and the serial number has been blocked, but the photos showed the canopy details I wanted. Note also how new all the dials, switches and knobs look.

Just wanted to point that to those than can't tell the difference real cockpit and a fake one.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Since I use VR (and so do a few others around here), it would be less than optimal to look to the KB to shut the canopy where clicking an in-cockpit switch would be the way to do it.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

It is a real cockpit. Most of the MLU Vipers have black cockpit walls

Which ones specifically? What year did they start doing this?

To whom it may concern,

Just happened to me last night!:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

• ED Team
Since I use VR (and so do a few others around here), it would be less than optimal to look to the KB to shut the canopy where clicking an in-cockpit switch would be the way to do it.

Dont worry, they switch is usable in VR, just difficult to see unless you are a gymnast :)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

For that very same reason I use a Razer Orbweaver (programmable mini-keyboard), just aft of my throttles: I programmed some keyboard combinations there and made macros for ground power, ground air supply, etc...

The keys can be found by memory/touch, so I don't need to look at them :thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

MLU.jpg

Our jets in the RNLAF were modified starting 1998. They were ols Block 10 and block 15 jets.

Talking about the sidewall panels. The plastic panels that are a pain to install. You have to go around the throttle and some times trim them. The picture you post shows gray one, look on the side, behind the throttle on the photos I posted.

To whom it may concern,

Talking about the sidewall panels. The plastic panels that are a pain to install. You have to go around the throttle and some times trim them. The picture you post shows gray one, look on the side, behind the throttle on the photos I posted.

I only wanted to show you that also on the main console the grey is gone and replaced by black. Same goes for the part of the engine stack and hydraulics. They did this to make the jet more NVIS friendly.

abg.jpg?m=1370981856

Edited by Bouli306