F-18 grip, WARTHOG compatible

If you are also interested in doing this for the F-15 version, it would be the BEST POSSIBLE USE for the thrustmaster warthog as the throttle is already from the F-15 anyway, and you would only need to change the joystick.

Um, the A-10 quadrant is only superficially like the F-15C quadrant.

Trust me on this. :D

(One huge issue is the lack of fingerlifts. Without those, you're going to going to have a hell of a time starting the engines. The fingerlifts engage the running JFS to the AMAD and from there to the selected engine.)

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of her kind.

Add me to the list for a stick. I'm Curious how much time you have invested in this. It kills me that someone with an interest can produce something like this and a company like TM with the resources to really do it properly...(mass produce, not quality :smilewink:) can't be bothered to take a look.

He doesn't have some mouth-breathing, MBA wielding derp trying to constantly step on his d*ck. :D You'd be amazed at what you can accomplish without an MBA around. :)

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

I'm sold. Ignore the posters who are giving you specific prices. Decide what your cost is, add in some profit for your efforts and then bring them to the community.

I'm looking forward to seeing where your efforts take this industry, and yes I do mean the sim industry all together...

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Would be cool to see a Flanker/Fulcrum style stick, but that one would likely be hard to do to get the twist right.

However, those F-18 ones and the Huey ones are really sparking my interests. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to doing mods on my Thrustmaster, but for a fighter style stick I'd give it a go. Would definitely be interested in buying. Heck I might pick up another Thrustmaster in the future just to have a chopper only setup.

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

I'd interested in the F-18 grip in resin. Possibly the throttle grips too but it would depend on its compatibility/ease of installation with the WH throttle.

Really liking this project!

PS- pay attention to your means of attachment between the grip and the base. A copy of TM's method of attachment would be disappointing as they always come lose on those of us who put additional poundage on the springs or have a force sensor stick.

Edited by Burner_Tbird2

I would be intrested in B8 grip. I see you have a the top of the collective, do you have one with the shaft attached for the Huey?

The collective box there is for the Ka-50, the stick is on the way. I will prepare the Huey collective also, and the trim mechanism for helicopter controls.

Would be cool to see a Flanker/Fulcrum style stick, but that one would likely be hard to do to get the twist right.

Heck I might pick up another Thrustmaster in the future just to have a chopper only setup.

Not at all, Flanker/Fulcrum grips are on the list. I'm just prioritizing the ones that are closer to release.

No need for another warthog, trim controls for helicopters are one of the priorities. Concept is ready, just need to build a prototype to show it off.

PS- pay attention to your means of attachment between the grip and the base. A copy of TM's method of attachment would be disappointing as they always come lose on those of us who put additional poundage on the springs or have a force sensor stick.

That's interesting. Any details on what exactly is causing the issue?

That's interesting. Any details on what exactly is causing the issue?

I do not have access to pictures at the moment, but to describe it-

It does not involve the PS2 connector area or the nut that attaches the shaft to the gimbals. It is where the shaft attaches to the handle itself. The handle closes around the shaft and is secured with two screws. Basically that shaft to handle interface is very sloppy and any decent amount of force will cause the handle to slide around (fore/aft and left/right) on top of the shaft. Its largely a non-issue with a stock set of gimbals as there is not enough force to loosen up the interface. But a force sensor stick or custom gimbals with higher poundage make that sliding a huge problem.

I currently use a force stick and its a pain to remedy. My next project will be replica Blue Angels gimbals with your F-18 handle perched on top so that's why I ask.

From what I can make of your 3D renders it looks like you'll be reusing that metal shaft. I think that's feasible but I would float the suggestion of one or two headless allen bolts that can be coated with threadlock and tightened against the shaft to pin it in place.

If that description did not do the trick, let me know and I'll see if I can take some pictures tonight.

Thanks, I am familiar with warthog parts so I know what you mean here.

My design only replicates the connector and the connector surface, just the bottom shapes so it fits on a warthog base.

The structural parts are all thick and not hollow like the rest of the stick. Weather they'll be 93 shoreD resin or metal remains to be tested.

I will showcase the design itself to get further opinions and suggestions but you can rest assured I will not let it become sloppy. I plan to use realistic forces on my setup, and that's 18kg/36lbs for jets, and 45kg/90lbs for WWII era aircrafts, for a 5-7 G turn. With my own base construction of course.

Thanks, I am familiar with warthog parts so I know what you mean here.

My design only replicates the connector and the connector surface, just the bottom shapes so it fits on a warthog base.

The structural parts are all thick and not hollow like the rest of the stick. Weather they'll be 93 shoreD resin or metal remains to be tested.

I will showcase the design itself to get further opinions and suggestions but you can rest assured I will not let it become sloppy. I plan to use realistic forces on my setup, and that's 18kg/36lbs for jets, and 45kg/90lbs for WWII era aircrafts, for a 5-7 G turn. With my own base construction of course.

That. Is. Awesome.

Looking forward to it!

Oh and what did you mean by 'replica Blue Angels gimbals', is it a standard F-18 gimball like this:

The gimbals inside the pit are the same. However the Blue jets use bungee cords on the pitch axis to pull the stick forward to help with close formation flying. That's the effect I'll be going for- I do more formation flying than combat :)

• 3 weeks later...
Um, the A-10 quadrant is only superficially like the F-15C quadrant.

Trust me on this. :D

(One huge issue is the lack of fingerlifts. Without those, you're going to going to have a hell of a time starting the engines. The fingerlifts engage the running JFS to the AMAD and from there to the selected engine.)

g.

EDIT: Just watched a start up of an F-15, now I know what you mean by fingerlifts. They are just a click in the simulator. There is absolutely no need to spend money on a completely same throttle just to get something you can click with your mouse in game. That is what I call a waste of money and resources.

What I wouldn't mind is if the throttle was made of some stronger material and the cursor was actually how it should be, and not the little bitty stick that's there... It's shameful that thrustmaster would do that. After all the hard work they put into that beautiful stick.

Edited by ralfidude

There re several small diffidence between the F-15 grip and the A-10 yes I have owned both most of the difference in my opinion was in the linkage. The grips them selves were basically the same with different switches and for censers in them the finger lifts are circled in red and the radar slew in green . On the F-15 grip you pull up on the two circles lifts and on the A-10 you lift up the entire grip. The new right side grips made for the A-10C are made from aluminum and come apart differently than the old f-A-10 and F-15 grip for ease of maintenance on the grips switches. Obviously the A-10C does not have the slew ring on the left grip and the pinky switch is different

assem3_zps7981618f.jpg

Edited by Deadman
spelling

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

ralfidude: I'm in the "do it right or don't do at all" club.

deadman: The grips are only superficially the same.

For one, the A-10 grip lifts in order to get it past the idle cut off gate. That's it's only function. The finger lifts on the F-15 grip is how you start the engines AND acts as the idle gate bypass.

The picture above shows my pre-MSIP II grip. The post-MSIP II throttle is what is used in Lockon. The grip above is missing the four way multi-function switch (mounted next to the TDC cursor controller, where the push-button is now) as well as the missile reject switch. The antenna elevation control is similar to the A-10C post-MSIP II. The one above is potentiometer that remains where you leave it.

The A-10C throttle has other features that aren't present on the F-15C throttle.

Also, the "radar slew" isn't a slew of any kind. It controls the elevation scanning limits of the radar.

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007.

Hi Gene My comets are only about the grip or what your hand will touch to control the throttle ( the linkage to control acceleration of the aircraft)

I am not sure what you mean by superficially but I will presume this b : seen on the surface : external witch on the grip being the same basic designed on both aircraft i agree.

In your assessment of moving the throttle on the A-10 past the IDLE stop "the A-10 grip lifts in order to get it past the idle cut off gate. That's it's only function" This is incorrect Moving the throttle to this position on the A-10 does several other functions as well. The DC fuel pump is energized when either throttle is positioned to the IDLE position. all so once the throttle is moved above the idle position the bleed air will be shut off to the started

The rest you may be right though there is no antenna slew my mistake it was late and i just could not think of elevation control. though the left throttle grip did not change on the A-10 perhaps you have a picture that i do not

ralfidude: I'm in the "do it right or don't do at all" club.

deadman: The grips are only superficially the same.

For one, the A-10 grip lifts in order to get it past the idle cut off gate. That's it's only function. The finger lifts on the F-15 grip is how you start the engines AND acts as the idle gate bypass.

The picture above shows my pre-MSIP II grip. The post-MSIP II throttle is what is used in Lockon. The grip above is missing the four way multi-function switch (mounted next to the TDC cursor controller, where the push-button is now) as well as the missile reject switch. The antenna elevation control is similar to the A-10C post-MSIP II. The one above is potentiometer that remains where you leave it.

The A-10C throttle has other features that aren't present on the F-15C throttle.

Also, the "radar slew" isn't a slew of any kind. It controls the elevation scanning limits of the radar.

g.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.