F-5e or uh-1h: what module should I buy? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 01:35 AM   #1
nessuno0505

Default F-5e or uh-1h: what module should I buy?

Steam sales suggest me to buy a new module; as I play standalone version of dcs, I know newest steam modules, like viggen or m2000, are not compatible with dcs standalone (different protection system), so my choice is limited to pre-m2000 modules, and f5-e and uh-1h are the only two left in my choice (I'm not interested in ww2 or korea era planes and I prefer english native cockpits vs both russian mig-21 and mi- 8. But I can't choose which one of the two, so I ask suggestions... maybe it can be useful to know the modules I already own: a-10c, ka-50, l-39, FC3 package and combined arms. I enjoy both a-10c and ka-50, and I also enjoy l-39 just for flying and aerobatics, since in combat role it is IMHO quite limited and not so easy to use. Maybe f-5e can be a sort of advanced and more combat-capable l-39 style plane; while with the uh-1h I could learn to fly a more direct copter than the stability augmented and autopilot assisted ka-50. What do you like most of the two? I play in VR, so my question is also: which of the two behaves better in VR?
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
Holton181

I'm biased, almost only fly helicopters, so I definitely recommend the Huey before any fixed wing. But at the momet the Huey engine is going through som maintenance (more realistic behavior expected) and it breaks easily if not careful, the develoers are on it but no time frame has been given.
According to VR Huey pilots it's incredible in VR. Don't have it myself.
i7-3820 3.60GHz
P9X79 Pro
32GB
GTX 670 2GB
VG278H + a Dell
PFT Lynx
TrackIR 5
Holton181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:32 AM   #3
NeilWillis
Veteran

Just decide on whether you want to fly in stand alone or steam, and stick with it.
NeilWillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #4
nessuno0505

I've already decided for standalone, but sometimes there are steam Sales and full price on dcs site (and sometimes the opposite as well), and there are modules that can be bought on steam and activated on standalone. Unfortunately for newest modules steam politics is for a dedicated serial Number that is different from starforce used in dcs standalone modules, so you cannot use both shops. This is not ED fault or choice, It is a steam issue. It would be great if there were cross compatibility, you could take advantage of double and different Sales, but this is not the case; for uh-1h and f-5e It is!

Last edited by nessuno0505; 04-11-2018 at 07:53 AM.
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #5
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Its a very hard choice. Since most of your things are fixed wing, I suggest the huey to your hangar. It has a nice campaign (Argo).

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
DowntownSIX

I'd say you're spot on with the F-5E being a more capable L-39. I have (and love) both but the F-5E gets more use because more speed, more weapons, more dogfights.

As an aside, the F-5E is very high quality module. I've had it a while and it's still one of my favorites.

Thrustmaster Warthog | VKB-Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV | Acer X34A (21:9) | Oculus Rift CV1

A-10C | AJS-37 | AV-8B | C-101 | F/A-18C | F-5E | KA-50 | L-39 | M-2000C | SA342 | Spitfire LF Mk IX | UH-1H
DowntownSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
firmek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownSIX View Post
I'd say you're spot on with the F-5E being a more capable L-39. I have (and love) both but the F-5E gets more use because more speed, more weapons, more dogfights.

As an aside, the F-5E is very high quality module. I've had it a while and it's still one of my favorites.
Well this isn't so obvious... If you're up for a fight than F-5. On the other hand L-39 has more advanced navigation suite which makes it much more IFR capable than F-5. Weapon wise they are generally the same - dumb bombs, rockets, only IR missiles. Due to the size F-5 can take more ordinance obviously.
Anyway, if you're more for an aviation learning plane, practicing different procedures, navigation, flying IFR take the L-39 as its much more capable. Take F-5 if you want to play more of an jet fighter or in MP cold war server.
And as for UH-1H - take Mi-8
F/A-18, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all
firmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:25 AM   #8
farizmh2008

Depends on you preference whether a helo or a jet. I have most DCS modules, but I enjoy F-5E the most. Sexy jet, easy aircraft to learn, combined with DLC Campaigns by Maple Flag, its a blast to fly dogfight in the F-5E and go against more modern and high performance jets.
farizmh2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
JumpinK

My suggestion: Get BOTH!

The F-5, as DowntownSIX already mentioned, is an absolute joy to fly and a very high quality module which makes a lot of fun for many many hours!
It is also a very intuitive and easy to learn aircraft due to it's limited capabilities (just a simple radar, no BVR-weapons, no guided bombs, but sidewinders and a few rounds of ammo in the gun for some good dogfighting)
There are also very nice dlc-campaigns available for it.

BUT:
A helo is a helo and the huey is an outstanding module that might really "hit" you, even if you weren't very interested in helicopters until now.
It is a very good module done in awesome quality and it's maybe the very most realistic helicopter-simulation you can run on a personal computer nowadays.
(A friend of mine who works as a helicopter-pilot has been flying the Bell 205 from "Wucher Helicopters" for some years and he tested the DCS-huey and was instantly amazed.
He said, that he had been sitting in another (professional) helicopter-simulator but in his opinion DCS seems to be better than the sim he did some trainings in. he also said, that the huey is so well modeled, that he could instantly fly it as if it was it's real life counterpart. Quote: "It's almost like having a huey parked in your own living room")

So, if you have some tokens left, just get both modules! BOTH ARE GREAT!!!
"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"
— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

Last edited by JumpinK; 04-25-2018 at 12:37 PM.
JumpinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
Quadg

@jumpinK +1
the huey hit me with a sucker punch...
was not expecting it at all and it was a clean knock out.
i saw stars..
in 2d
i have been flying it in VR for almost a year.
and VR was a vast improvement.
immersion gives presence. and you really need to be present when trying to fit a large helicopter into a small hole in the jungle.