Valley Run Times?

Alphamale

It'd be cool to be able to generate those squares in your own missions (thinking a case 1 tutorial with wickets at the turning points and altitudes and then down the glideslope, but I guess the issue would be getting them to move with the boat)

You can already generate the squares (called gates), for each waypoint. See "SHOW HELPER GATES" or "SHOW HELPER GATES FOR UNIT" actions in the mission editor.

I don't know of any way to have the move though.

So, I am a pretty average pilot (well, maybe below average but no one wants to admit that:)) and I did this in 1:45 on the second try (the first one was without AB just to get familiar with the route).

I know this is not the best time, but my point is that variances that small can mean only one thing: this track is way too easy. For a better challenge try "Su-27 Sky Scraper" (in regular single missions, not in instant action). It was already pretty difficult before the new Caucasus map, but now, with all those trees...

Attached is the same mission modified for the Hornet.

Good luck

FA-18C - Sky Scraper.miz

So, I am a pretty average pilot (well, maybe below average but no one wants to admit that:)) and I did this in 1:45 on the second try (the first one was without AB just to get familiar with the route).

I know this is not the best time, but my point is that variances that small can mean only one thing: this track is way too easy. For a better challenge try "Su-27 Sky Scraper" (in regular single missions, not in instant action). It was already pretty difficult before the new Caucasus map, but now, with all those trees...

Attached is the same mission modified for the Hornet.

Good luck

Hey thanks for the mission...will load it up in a few...but I think this mission (Valley Run) which I have yet to hear anyone do in under 1:44, is saying something else....and it's bothering me....how can EVERYONE have the exact same limit in covering that "slalom" course? There are too many variances of bleeding speed while maneuvering for all of us to have a speed limit that is identical....what? do we all end up with the same average speed over the length of the course? The times should be approaching a limit but all should not hit that limit EVERY time you try it...you got head winds, tail winds, air pressure, humidity, response of the jet's stick inputs, and so on...It almost makes me think that there is no randomness in the mission and if not, what about the rest of the sim?

how can EVERYONE have the exact same limit in covering that "slalom" course?

I guess you are not getting my point: the course is too straightforward to show significant variations. Everyone is flying it pretty much the same (for example, full AB entire time). And the time measurement is with 1 second resolution only. At the finish line you are supersonic so, 1 second is quite a lot :).

I guess you are not getting my point: the course is too straightforward to show significant variations. Everyone is flying it pretty much the same (for example, full AB entire time). And the time measurement is with 1 second resolution only. At the finish line you are supersonic so, 1 second is quite a lot :).

You're not getting mine either...you could have six planes start at the same exact point and fly STRAIGHT for 15 miles at the same AB setting and they'd all have different times IRL, but apparently not here in this sim

1:37 with success message

Alphamale,

I don't know why you're so surprised that the best time is 1:44. We are all:

1. flying precisely the same aircraft configured in exactly the same way with exactly the same max thrust available as the mission is designed

2. flying through precisely the same static medium. There are no wind or turbulence or air pressure or humidity variables in the mission to introduce environmental differences.

3. flying through gates that are so closely spaced that even sharp changes in direction can only be performed successfully one way. Anything that would alter the time significantly here would miss the next gate.

My first time through was 1:45 (not balls to the wall all the way). My 2nd time through was 1:44. My 3rd time through was 1:37...

But that 3rd time, I cheated. I may have been able to shave off a bit more with a 4th attempt--I got sloppy at the end--but I have chickens to kill and the morning is getting old.

Valley Run 1.37 w Cheat.trk

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1:37 with success message

Alphamale,

I don't know why you're so surprised that the best time is 1:44. We are all:

1. flying precisely the same aircraft configured in exactly the same way with exactly the same max thrust available as the mission is designed

2. flying through precisely the same static medium. There are no wind or turbulence or air pressure or humidity variables in the mission to introduce environmental differences.

3. flying through gates that are so closely spaced that even sharp changes in direction can only be performed successfully one way. Anything that would alter the time significantly here would miss the next gate.

My first time through was 1:45 (not balls to the wall all the way). My 2nd time through was 1:44. My 3rd time through was 1:37...

But that 3rd time, I cheated. I may have been able to shave off a bit more with a 4th attempt--I got sloppy at the end--but I have chickens to kill and the morning is getting old.

Nah, that's not gonna cut it for an explanation...the banking and speed bleedings would ALL be different and where you entered the gate will vary...some locations are speed saving others not so much...just like slalom racing...try again

Nah, that's not gonna cut it for an explanation...the banking and speed bleedings would ALL be different and where you entered the gate will vary...some locations are speed saving others not so much...just like slalom racing...try again

Sure. This isn't a slalom, it's a Super-G on a course without much in the way of terrain features, consistent snow conditions, and calm weather. The same skier going down time after time and never tiring, is going to record the same time--within a second--each time down. That's the smallest time increment we have.

If you want to see the differences you're talking about, you have to run out to 1:45 and look to see how far down the runway you are at that point. The difference are in the fractions of a second on this course. Alternately, a much longer course would show those differences as well.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Well unless you consider it a DCS conspiracy to make the Hornet fly through the gates with the same time, what do you suggest?! :music_whistling:

Edit://

Some figures:

Allowing for a 17.5nm course, completing it in 1:45 gives an average speed of 600kts.

To complete the course 1 second faster, you have to average 605kts.

That's 5kts averaged, over 105 seconds. That's a huge amount. Bleeding a knot or two around one of the slight bends isn't going to make a difference

Edited by Flamin_Squirrel

Well unless you consider it a DCS conspiracy to make the Hornet fly through the gates with the same time, what do you suggest?! :music_whistling:

Edit://

Some figures:

Allowing for a 17.5nm course, completing it in 1:45 gives an average speed of 600kts.

To complete the course 1 second faster, you have to average 605kts.

That's 5kts averaged, over 105 seconds. That's a huge amount. Bleeding a knot or two around one of the slight bends isn't going to make a difference

How about differences in players stick response...you can't say they are all the same

So here's the difference.

An OK run at 1:44:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192665&stc=1&d=1535220973

A better run ar 1:44:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192668&stc=1&d=1535221233

And a run where you're a bit late on a few gates:

attachment.php?attachmentid=192667&stc=1&d=1535220973

Stick response will have nothing to do with it when measuring in seconds rather than fractions of a second, unless their stick is broken and spiking all over the place.

Slowest.thumb.jpg.24ef05b4c5d0974cb63ba597cae933f8.jpg

533253457_LateonaFew.thumb.jpg.7310f3865b177de3d4b0724c7a9da4bc.jpg

Faster.thumb.jpg.6fb00a20c79e00d04a9f7807bae59dd5.jpg

_____

Ok I copied the mission and saved it as another name and then loaded it up in the ME. The default "AS IS" weight was 32,137 lbs...there were no weapons except M61 ammo and chaff and flares, both of which I dumped and it made no appreciable difference...BUT, the default fuel was 62% of MAX internal fuel....I dumped fuel down to 18% of Max internal which brought the total weight to 27,478 lbs which is more that 2.25 TONS and all I could shave off was 1 SECOND???

I never did say that player stick response is the same. I said the response makes almost no difference.

If I had asserted that you said that, I would have directly refuted it...the fact, that I said "You can't say that" already presupposes that you did not say it....hehe

..I dumped fuel down to 18% of Max internal which brought the total weight to 27,478 lbs which is more that 2.25 TONS and all I could shave off was 1 SECOND???

Sure. For all that you hit your max speed for the flight about 6-10 seconds sooner. EDIT: It's probably closer to 6 seconds than 10 the way I fly it.

Edited by Ironhand

_____