New Keyboard, shortcuts don’t work

Mad-Mex

Ok, here is the problem:

Bought a new keyboard, it’s a Microsoft Windows Keyboard, now when I press F12, volume goes up, press F-1 and browser come up,,, anyone know a simple way to keep override the built in mapping when playing?

Thank You!

It might be a hardware thing...look into your new keyboard instructions, the keyboard should have a modifier key which switches the F1-12 keys function. On laptops this key is usually marked as Fn or Function key.

Do you have this on your keyboard?

These shortcut keys are doubled-up with the uppermost function keys; in addition to media controls on F1-F4, you’ll also find one-touch keyboard controls for the Windows Charms (Search, Share, etc.) from F5-F8, plus a smattering of other handy shortcuts on the other keys. The labels for these are highlighted in blue, making these added functions easier to identify – although unless you’re familiar with what each of these icons actually means, many of them will be meaningless to users.

The iconography isn’t my beef with these controls – it’s the implementation that I’ve found utterly infuriating. While most other keyboards provide secondary function controls by requiring the user to press the ‘Fn’ key – usually located somewhere along the bottom row – Microsoft decided not to employ this tried-and-tested method, and omitted an Fn key entirely.

So, to access these functions, you instead have to flick a mechanical switch at the top-right of the keyboard, which alternates the keys’ operations between their standard functions and the secondary Windows 8 controls.