Dilemma: Rift or No Rift

Raz_Specter

Ok - since the F14 has been released I am very tempted to get another VR headset. I bought the Rift and hand controllers directly from Oculus when they first where released. Visited a mate over the weekend and had a go in his rift in the F14, immersion is massive, the resolution seems to be a bit better also since I sold my rift

So do I get a Pimax 5k+ or should I buy another rift which I can collect today from Argos lol

Be curious to hear what you guys think?

Thanks Specter

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Rift CV1 is at the end of lifecycle. Oculus is supposed to announce new headset this week, at least the specs will be known, availability in the following months.

Pimax, you can try, but you have to get in line. I think the waiting time is still measured in months.

Worth looking at other headsets like Odyssey+ if you want something right now.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Oculus has a couple of announcements at GDC 2019 later today.

Speculation is one of them will be about an upgraded Rift. Just speculation though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oculus has a couple of announcements at GDC 2019 later today.

Speculation is one of them will be about an upgraded Rift. Just speculation though.

OK thanks, ill wait till later to see whats happening then :) thanks for then infomration

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would say wait till Oculus news are released, and then either get in line for Pimax 5+, or buying a second hand Rift or brand new Odyssey+

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Yeah. Id wait. HP just announced ther 2160x2160 display which apparently smokes everything out there right now. Other manufactures will probably announce their stuff this week too.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

excellent - really looking forward to the next gen in VR to be honest, while the first gen gave that immersion factor, hopefully the second gen will give the resolutions lol :)

The HP one does look very interesting though

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

excellent - really looking forward to the next gen in VR to be honest, while the first gen gave that immersion factor, hopefully the second gen will give the resolutions lol :)

Yeah that one has really caught my eye.

Hoping Oculus does something very soon - I really like their platform and the Touch Controllers are awesome. I really enjoy other Touch games as well.

If Oculus does not come through soon, then yeah I may just pick this one up.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Once I get an actual desktop (2 more weeks ;) ) this is probably the next thing on my list unless the new cosmos or rift-S look better. Which we should hopefully find out in the next month or so at the latest.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

New Rift S has been announced.

Don B

And its disappointing...

You might have to wait a while, the new occulus business model looks to be to focus on the mid/low end of the market for now. Which does make sense, a very small minority of gamers own high end GFX cards needed to run high end VR.

At this point I would certainly wait on release of the HP Reverb FR Pro. Early reviews indicate significant leap in resolution.

I have not seen any reason to consider the Pro over the standard Reverb.

Not that big a price difference though...

Don B

I have not seen any reason to consider the Pro over the standard Reverb.

Not that big a price difference though...

The only thing I saw was you get a nicer face pad. Probably some better warranty too.

Nicer but the consumer version looks like it's detachable and washable. More of a plus. But it's looking like this is a day one purchase since Rift S was a swing and a miss for us DCS folks.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm not so disappointed by rift s. I mean: it increases resolution only slightly, but it has better optics and pixels are less noticeable in a LCD screen, so I want to see more reviews when it will be on shelves. A 2160*2160 per eye reverb resolution is of course better, but what kind of GPU do you need to drive it? Consider DCS is very demanding. Is it worth it to buy a super-crisp headset to run it at 20 fps?

If you have a high end card i would think you can run DCS with it. Maybe not perfectly but guys are running pimax which is aboutbas demanding.

Rift S looks disappointing to say the least for DCS IMO, at least compared to the competition and other options coming. Odyssey+ I've had decent success with, I was a very early adopter for the Rift/Vive, and have owned both Odyssey, the Rift, both Vives, and a Pimax5k. For $250 right now you can get the Odyssey+, which wouldn't be a bad option for trying out VR.

Barring that, IMO wait for the new HP Reverb and see what the verdict is with it for DCS, and if $ is no object, consider it or perhaps the Pimax 5k as well.

You'll need some horsepower so far as your system goes no matter which VR unit you go with...

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1