VR Improvement suggestions

J3ST3R

One question and it maybe a stupid one, what difference does changing the screen resolution in dcs? Ie, would it have a negative impact on performance to have it set to a high resolution and run vr, thus making the gpu work harder render two displays (monitor and hmd)?
i don’t believe the monitor resolution setting in DCS has any impact on the mirror display on the monitor when in VR

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yes you are right guys I don't know nothing about games and games engines and nothing about Computers at all. Who am I to talk about it. I only have 10 years experience in games developing and it is not DCS at all.

With such logic we should stay on DX9 because everything was working perfectly with 1.5. Why we was switching to DX11 at all and now they want to go on Vulcan?

Point is even if they switching to Diesel engine they are showing how working on something and intentions for progress. And what we see in last two years? Only boom of new modules and zero effort to do something on core engine which is screwed to the bone. So what other conclusion I could make if I don't want to fool my self with "two week's" story?

About the Vulcan, X Plane 11 switching to Vulcan made significant progress but with releasing of MSFS 2020 probably come too late. Everyone will switch to MSFS.

That is my point ED sleeping and just milking as long as they can. If someone just start the license from MS and create some version of CFS based on MSFS 2020 engine will be instant death of DCS World and will be too late for wake up.

All this modules will be easy to adopt to new engine because core engine is the backbone of everything. Car without engine can't move at all.

One question and it maybe a stupid one, what difference does changing the screen resolution in dcs? Ie, would it have a negative impact on performance to have it set to a high resolution and run vr, thus making the gpu work harder render two displays (monitor and hmd)?

I tried changing the resolution, but in VR they had no effect, not that I could notice.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

It does, I have measured it, but it was in terms of reduced reprojection rate - and only by less than a half percent when I took my 1080 graphics card down to 1024x768. (I'm on the Valve Index) . While the FPS remained the same, reprojection influences quality of the VR experience because it substitutes projected frames for the real thing.

Again, it's a very small amount, and if you run with other settings turned up such that the experience is not already fluid, you'll never notice the difference. I keep (almost) all settings cranked down because I want absolutely fluid gameplay. So I always kick my screen into a low resolution before playing because for me, every little bit helps (I even use a mod to shut off all trees).

Edited by flameoutme

Sorry, but it just doesn’t make a difference. It’s just a mirror.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

We need proper switch to Vulcan yesterday not now. It is already too late. We are bombarded with more and more new modules ant that means only one. ED is not care about us and core game engine, they just want to milk more money from us. At least they laving such impression with their prioritizing.

I'm hearing about improvements now for years and I don't see any. That means only one, They are not working on it at all.

For some disent performances, at least half of the performances got in other games such Il2 BoS for example, you need most expensive hardware just because DCS engine cant use more than 40% of your hardware potential.

I think finaly is time to start proper and emidiat work on core engine finally. ED should stop talking and show us some real progress so we could see are they working on it at all.

This is my opinion too!

I´m not sure if still alive at least (due to my age and current virus thingy) when DCS will be finally really playable in VR.:cry:

This Module "tactics" reminding me a little bit too of Star Citizen. Making many new modules instead of fixing loooong promised nessecary basics. I´m only buying again new modules in future when very old promlems were solved.

Thats all i have to say.

ASROCK X79 Extreme11 (WC), i7-4930K (WC), 32GB G.Skill TridentX, Vertex 3 120GB, GTX 980ti, 3x 39,5" Philips 4K, TrackIR 5, TM Warthog with PeterP´s FFB2 Mod, 2xSaitek Throttle, 2x Thrustmaster Cougar MFD Bezel, Simped Vario Pedals modded with toe brakes, Opencockpit Cards, 4x Soundcard, 2x Buttkicker Gamer 2, 4x GTX 950 with tons of touchscreens...

This is my opinion too!

I´m not sure if still alive at least (due to my age and current virus thingy) when DCS will be finally really playable in VR.:cry:

This Module "tactics" reminding me a little bit too of Star Citizen. Making many new modules instead of fixing loooong promised nessecary basics. I´m only buying again new modules in future when very old promlems were solved.

Thats all i have to say.

I can't see from your sig what HMD you have, but I would suggest that your CPU and GPU fall short of what is required to run DCS in VR at an acceptable level of performance.

Given appropriate hardware, VR in DCS is a very enjoyable, playable experience - most of the time!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I can't see from your sig what HMD you have, but I would suggest that your CPU and GPU fall short of what is required to run DCS in VR at an acceptable level of performance.

Given appropriate hardware, VR in DCS is a very enjoyable, playable experience - most of the time!

I totally agree. VR with DCS is right up there as one of my best computer gaming experiences, probably the best! Of course it can get better and part of the excitement is seeing something so immersive grow but it is very playable with the right kit and being a bit selective with missions.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

This

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I totally agree. VR with DCS is right up there as one of my best computer gaming experiences, probably the best! Of course it can get better and part of the excitement is seeing something so immersive grow but it is very playable with the right kit and being a bit selective with missions.

True, even with a Rift CV1 It's a totally different world, no struggle with witch hats to try to track a target in visual, less workload at this level and 360 x 360 view, this game was like made for it!

My next head seat for X-Mass will be the HP Reverb G2 in its improved version since HP decided to make it better with new lenses. DCS Rocks!

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Settings as seen in picture. My PD is set to 1.0 in DCS and steamVR the res is set to 100%

Turn off AA in nvidia as this does nothing for VR.

As someone else said, alter your card fan curve and maybe try an overclock. Not that difficult. I have my GPU fans running like the clappers (90%+) during DCS. Noisy, but I don't hear it. Want all the cooling I can get!

As someone else said, alter your card fan curve and maybe try an overclock. Not that difficult. I have my GPU fans running like the clappers (90%+) during DCS. Noisy, but I don't hear it. Want all the cooling I can get!

I run my system O.C as well but it is quiet silent, here are the reasons.

https://www.arctic.ac/en/Freezer-7-X/ACFRE00077A

Compared with the stock CPU fan I can't ear it, only the case fans and GPU fan.

I'm still waiting for my new case but I already have a couple of Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 120 mm ready, that's gonna be 4 case fans and the Noctua are quiet silent as well.

I'm gonna fit one as exhaust and one to feed the GPU, the two others will feed the CPU fan and Power Supply.

I ran tests at 2016 X 2240 setting with Superposition to see if my system could cope with the HP Reverb G2 at high res, temperatures remained low.

Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-6140-1601471144.png

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Yes absolutely. I only use Nvidia Control Panel to set a profile for DCS with power management on "prefer maximum performance".

I do also have MFAA set to "On". Seems to give a little better image quality with hardly a hit in performance. Might be placebo though who knows.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Man I was little bit sarcastic. But the fact is DCS is not optimized at all, and all this new engine crap is just to deceive customers.

Fact is DCS don't have real competitor on market. Soon as someone shows up DCS is dead instantly and all this investment in it will be in vane. Sad but true.

We need proper switch to Vulcan yesterday not now. It is already too late. We are bombarded with more and more new modules ant that means only one. ED is not care about us and core game engine, they just want to milk more money from us. At least they laving such impression with their prioritizing.

I'm hearing about improvements now for years and I don't see any. That means only one, They are not working on it at all.

For some disent performances, at least half of the performances got in other games such Il2 BoS for example, you need most expensive hardware just because DCS engine cant use more than 40% of your hardware potential.

I think finaly is time to start proper and emidiat work on core engine finally. ED should stop talking and show us some real progress so we could see are they working on it at all.

:thumbup:

Man I was little bit sarcastic. But the fact is DCS is not optimized at all, and all this new engine crap is just to deceive customers.

Fact is DCS don't have real competitor on market. Soon as someone shows up DCS is dead instantly and all this investment in it will be in vane. Sad but true.

Yes they do have competitors, every single game developer is and you just named one, nobody is forced to chose DCS over War gaming MicroProse or any other game.

You speak like you expect ED to perform at the level of Electronic Art or Epic Games, but having worked in the industry I look at the size of the team to figure any form of workload.

DCS was never designed for VR in the first place and it will take time for them to develop whatever they need to satisfy VR players but how about the others?

How many players doesn't use VR? What's the workload needed to provide what is expected for them and for VR players?

We're not the ones going through countless hours of unpaid extra hours to meet deadlines, they are, looking at it from their PoV is a must to understand what is going on.

Yes they do have competitors, every single game developer is and you just named one, nobody is forced to chose DCS over War gaming MicroProse or any other game.

You speak like you expect ED to perform at the level of Electronic Art or Epic Games, but having worked in the industry I look at the size of the team to figure any form of workload.

DCS was never designed for VR in the first place and it will take time for them to develop whatever they need to satisfy VR players but how about the others?

How many players doesn't use VR? What's the workload needed to provide what is expected for them and for VR players?

We're not the ones going through countless hours of unpaid extra hours to meet deadlines, they are, looking at it from their PoV is a must to understand what is going on.

You are exactly prove my point. DCS is designed on old outdated engine and by you should stay like this no matter what.

In that case they should leave it like it is and who want ir should play it but not constantly talking about upgrades when it is not happened at all.

Other point is how they spending resources. Right now it is 0 on fixing major problems and 100% on new modules which will not work properly on old and outdated engine.

And what they are doing? Just adding new eye candy to look modern and good but not working properly on old and outdated engine even on the most expensive and best hardware.

Thiat is called deception similar as wicked car dealer put fresh paint on old and roten car and trying to sell it as new one in perfect condition.

Thiat is called deception similar as wicked car dealer put fresh paint on old and roten car and trying to sell it as new one in perfect condition.
This started out as a constructive thread about VR experiences in DCS, can we continue it without the nonsensical conspiracy theories and daft analogies please.

I'm in the "I've got a great PC and a reverb and absolutely LOVE the experience" camp...

Lemme ask you Wormeaten...

Do you know where the primary bottleneck is in DCS VR??? Do you know why it's "unoptimized" as you say??? or is this just a feeling you have?

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I'm in the "I've got a great PC and a reverb and absolutely LOVE the experience" camp...

Lemme ask you Wormeaten...

Do you know where the primary bottleneck is in DCS VR??? Do you know why it's "unoptimized" as you say??? or is this just a feeling you have?

It is obvious. If problem most of the people have still exist and only in DCS than it is not hardware issue. It is clear as a day. Even people with 10900K and new 3080 didn't manage to fully use hardware.

Check the threads with 3080 and VR performances. Disappointment is huge.

So only DCS core engine stay as possible reason. Engine can't utilize best and newest hardware. It is simple proces of elimination possible sources.

More then 15 years we got multiple cores CPU and DCS still not optimized for using it. Do you need more explanation?

It is obvious. If problem most of the people have still exist and only in DCS than it is not hardware issue. It is clear as a day. Even people with 10900K and new 3080 didn't manage to fully use hardware.

So only DCS core engine stay as possible reason. Engine can't utilize best and newest hardware. It is simple proces of elimination possible sources.

More then 15 years we got multiple cores CPU and DCS still not optimized for using it. Do you need more explanation?

Can you point us to these threads you mention?

I run my system O.C as well but it is quiet silent, here are the reasons.

https://www.arctic.ac/en/Freezer-7-X/ACFRE00077A

Compared with the stock CPU fan I can't ear it, only the case fans and GPU fan.

I'm still waiting for my new case but I already have a couple of Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 120 mm ready, that's gonna be 4 case fans and the Noctua are quiet silent as well.

I'm gonna fit one as exhaust and one to feed the GPU, the two others will feed the CPU fan and Power Supply.

I ran tests at 2016 X 2240 setting with Superposition to see if my system could cope with the HP Reverb G2 at high res, temperatures remained low.

Superposition-Benchmark-v1-1-6140-1601471144.png

I was referring to a card overclock, but even simpler than that is adding more card fan speed as many cards have fans set to run at lower speeds by default so they are quieter. If you increase card fan speed it literally cannot do any harm and may keep a GPU running a higher clocks for longer. The start of the thread showed GPU working harder than CPU so my comments were all to do with GPU boosting.

You are exactly prove my point. DCS is designed on old outdated engine and by you should stay like this no matter what.

In that case they should leave it like it is and who want ir should play it but not constantly talking about upgrades when it is not happened at all.

Other point is how they spending resources. Right now it is 0 on fixing major problems and 100% on new modules which will not work properly on old and outdated engine.

And what they are doing? Just adding new eye candy to look modern and good but not working properly on old and outdated engine even on the most expensive and best hardware.

So what you suggest is that they do not put any effort into making the game fully V.R compatible then?

They took the decision to do it, it's their prerogative, not only that but they knew the difficulties they faced and it's all to their credit.

Before criticizing them I'll let them do the job they have to do and see the result.

First mistake, going for the 3080, second mistake, believing it brings technical progresses, in fact it still uses the same technology of previous generation of cards and only achieve its performances with a huge increase in size and power need.

This Nvidia serie of cards doesn't eliminate its own bottlenecks.

Third mistake thinking that every processor has the same issue muli-treading DCS, especially when you see how many complaining players have system with bad memory/GPU/CPU bounds.

So DCS is not optimized for V.R, we all agree with that but responsible for poor performances of systems which aren't optimized is a little pulled by the hair.

Edited by Thinder

I was referring to a card overclock, but even simpler than that is adding more card fan speed as many cards have fans set to run at lower speeds by default so they are quieter. If you increase card fan speed it literally cannot do any harm and may keep a GPU running a higher clocks for longer. The start of the thread showed GPU working harder than CPU so my comments were all to do with GPU boosting.

Agreed, what I was pointing out was the increased airflow for both that I was preparing to set to my new case.

There has been a cook up with the order so delivery is late, but in terms of airflow, warm air needs to be exhausted from the case, or the temperature of the whole case increases.

This doesn't help the GPU cooling, so my solution is to fit a strong pressure fan at the back and one of the same type at GPU level at the front, between the two standard 120 mm case fans.

The two standard fans just feed cool air for the CPU cooler and Power Supply Unit at lower pressure while the stronger front fan contribute to a much cooler environment for the GPU which can then work under better conditions, which is what I am trying to achieve.

I don't separate the two, they share the same case and the same atmospheric conditions, the only variation comes from their respective heat emission.

Based on this, you can see how the CPU temperature can influence that of the GPU in this picture, that's my future case, the Artic Freezer blow air from front to back toward the exhaust high-pressure fan, combined with this, the high pressure airflow from the front fan should help the GPU work in much better conditions.

First blow the hot air out as much as physically possible, second feed the card with high pressure cool airflow.

Case.jpg

Edited by Thinder

Sorry, but that thread was a waste of time. I contributed there and it was one guy only reporting, and that was under suspicious testing processes. He updated his results and was getting good ones in the end.

It became a pointless debate on resolution in the end.

What are the other threads you were referring to?